Music has huge impact

Options
So I had been listening to audio books or to podcasts during my workouts and uncovered something crazy.

I started listening instead to heavy Metal and Hard rock during my workouts, and my RPM's on the Eliptical or Bike went up by about 10% without noticing it at all!

Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, all that stuff.

Normally my RPMs were around 55 on the Eliptical before, I looked down while listening to some Disturbed and it was up around 63-64 without even trying.

Give it a shot! Maybe a different type of music will work for you.

Replies

• April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i know this works great for me!!
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Listening to heavy metal instead of audio books caused you to perform a physical task at a high rhythmic pace.

Go figure!!!

You sir are a freaking genius!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I would die from boredom if I listened to audio books. I listen to the Volbeat station on Pandora.
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with your assessment 110%! I know that if I listen to a podcast (or any spoken words) during my runs/workouts, my performance isn't nearly as good as with rousing music.
  • Razz_Baby
    Razz_Baby Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is that I'm doing as to what I'm listening to. I like to listen to pop when I walk, industrial when I run and metal when I lift. Fast and loud is the way to no matter what!
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is that I'm doing as to what I'm listening to. I like to listen to pop when I walk, industrial when I run and metal when I lift. Fast and loud is the way to no matter what!

Same here. I need to listen to classical music when I pee so the stream comes out nice and easy. If listen to heavy metal or techno I become an extremely high risk for a urethral rupture.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I hear Slayer on the elliptical can make your legs explode.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty well known phenomenon. :smile:
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    if you want to apply this even more, check out rock my run (rockmyrun.com). They provide assorted tunes DJ style in duration of anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours over different genres and with set or variable beats per minute.
  • animalrane
    Options
    I always listen to heavy metal when working out.. but on leg days I can only listen so long before I don't want to hear anything at all!!!
  • Razz_Baby
    Options

Same here. I need to listen to classical music when I pee so the stream comes out nice and easy. If listen to heavy metal or techno I become an extremely high risk for a urethral rupture.

HAHA! You win!
  • kjg1965297
    Options
    Blues, Old rock and Jazz
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have to listen to music, running in silence kills my motivation.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I almost choked.... //thread LMAO

As for OP: Yes, music can make a huge difference. Faster more up beat songs makes work harder. Howerver I have a few on my list that make me want to dance... not a great thing in the middle of the gym or worse .. middle of the road. LOL
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I completely agree. Good, motivating music can push me so much further in my workouts. I get lost in the lyrics and melody and before I know it, it's been two hours.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i listen to heavy metal and goth rock last 10 years...and haven't tried anything else while exercising...glad to see it's a good choice :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am a total rocker chic. I do crossfit with a group of other girls and the trainer always plays techno crap. The trainer found out that I like rock and made a playlist blindly of different rock songs. It made me perform better and I enjoyed it way more. My fav bands to rock out to are: killswitch engage, five finger death punch, system of a down and all that remains.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have to listen to music, running in silence kills my motivation.

My husband is like that. The problem is, he can't hear cyclists coming up on him from behind, and he's not well versed in trail etiquette (actually 90% of the runners I see run on the wrong side. You are supposed to run against the flow of bike traffic, so you can see them coming). The last time a near collision happened, he was running along just fine. It was only when I started waving my hands around to alert him to cyclists behind him that he started veering toward the center line. We need to work out some smoke signals.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I listen to heavy metal and angry rap music when I workout :) It definitely helps.
  • Razz_Baby
    Options
    My problem is if it's a song I really like I start singing. It gets kind of embarrassing from time to time.