Need some help with this...

Options
I am no newbie to managing my weight, and I really do understand that this takes time, but I am getting discouraged. Maybe some kind words, or ideas from the kind folks in here will help me gain some confidence that this is all worth it.

Me:
I am 6'2 250 40 years old
I am built like a bouncer, and except for my belly, I have a beach body from the waist down, and from the chest up. I work out with a trainer (lifting with little rest so my heart rate is in the 150 range for at least 50 minutes 2x week), wear a heart rate monitor to measure my exact calories per workout and I run/walk at least 3 times a week for 50-65 minutes at a brisk pace. My calorie burn per workout is near 800 calories after each work out, so I am looking at a calorie burn from working out alone of 4000 calories per week (for those who don't like to do math in their head :-) ) Prior to all of this, I was sedentary, and while I had once been an athlete, I was not getting any cardio, though I still lifted for mass (dumb, I know)

I want to get to 210, but less than 220 would be fine, as I am a very muscular guy, and I would like to maintain some of that physique. I have been religiously counting calories (MFP says about 2100/day) to reach my goal weight. On days that I workout, I am supposed to be eating about 3000 calories to lose a pound a week (I am committed to this for life, so I figured the slowest rate was the smartest plan).

When I started I went from 254 to 248...that was great. It took a little over a month Then I stalled for a month, so for the next month I just focused on my eating right, exercising, and not weighing myself. I just weighed myself this morning, and I was 249.5, and I was pretty devastated. Now my 8 year old daughter says I look better, and so does my wife (who I might mention lost 8 lbs and is at her HS weight in the time it took me to not make much progress at all). I have a body fat scale, and that shows no real change. I am seriously considering just eating 2100 calories independent of my 4000 calories of workout, but I am worried that this may slow my metabolism more and just make things worse. I want to be patient, but I just need someone to tell me I am doing this right, and that I need more time...then again, if I am doing something wrong, I need to hear that too.

Anyone have 2 cents to add here? Any support of any kind would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
A

Replies

• sdonohue
    sdonohue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It might help to take a few of the other measurements available ( neck, waist, etc) and see if you're making progress that way.
  • dox1000
    Options
    That is a great idea. I will add that to my process.
    Keep em coming please :-D
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    A
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Feeling a difference is really the most important part. I have been re-losing the same 5 pounds for about 2 weeks. I workout and do cardio religiously. Due to recent events, I am taking a week off from both, just making sure I eat right.
    Yesterday was my first day I have not even gone to the gym.
    Today I am down 2 pounds. Possibly sometimes you body need to catch up to what you want to accomplish.
  • sullydog101
    sullydog101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ignore the calories from working out, but maybe reduce them a little. If your heart rate monitor or excercise machine says you burned 800 in a workout, maybe just eat back 600 of those.

Also, make sure you keep some strength training in there while you are dieting so you lose fat and not hard earned muscle.
  • jalovec
    Options
    My husband has the same height and weight as you, and the same body shape, it sounds like. He's been working out. You could try eating only half of your workout calories. Often the workout calories listed are higher than you actually burn. Also, try changing your workout significantly- something totally new. Don't worry- you'll get there!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    How is your water intake? with all that working out you should be drinking a lot of water. plus your a big guy so that means even more. It is critical in how your metabolism functions and it really helps with weight loss.
  • deadeyelou
    Options
    Way to go, you seem to really have a great, committed attitude. I'd recommend making sure you are getting enough calories, but cut out ALL processed foods for a little while and see what difference that makes. I think you'd be surprised. Noodles, bread, crackers along with all the 'convenience' foods we eat are soooo laden with salt and preservative. Try sticking to whole foods for your carbs, like potatoes or yams, or rice. If you try that for about 2 weeks you'll be amazed at the difference! Tons of FRESH veggies are also helpful, along with LOTS of water. Good Luck! You really are doing all the hard work, why not reward yourself with some healthy, real food choices.
    Loui
  • dox1000
    Options
    To all who mentioned the water, I think that could be part of it. I do not probably get enough water in my diet. I do drink quite a bit of low caffeine loose leaf tea every day (like white/green teas).

As for the processed foods, I have reduced those significantly, and avoid them whenever I can.

I like the idea of backing off the calories a bit from the workouts...This leads me to a different question I should probably post elsewhere. If you sit still for an hour and burn 100 calories or you workout for an hour and burn 400 calories, do I eat to recover 400 calories, or do I eat 300 calories (The difference)? My worry about backing off the calories from workouts is that I wont be eating enough...thoughts?

Thanks again everyone!,
    A
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think making sure that the calories you ARE getting are more natural and packed with nutrients. Not saying you have to go vegetarian or anything ( not knocking it, but I can't let go off my chicken and beef just yet) but you will find that if you are eating healthier denser calories, you may actually end up eating less. I find it hard for the life of me to eat the calorie amount that MFP suggests when I am eating clean...its only on those days that I eat convenience foods (fast foods) or prepackaged foods (even if i choose the healthiest thing I can) that I get to that calorie suggestion and I don't feel as good, probably because there are fewer nutrients and more additives. So, to sum it up look at the type of calories you are eating and see if you can tweak it so that you are getting more of the nutrients your body craves and less of that other stuff!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Keep it up!
  • dox1000
    Options
    This last advice seems to indicate eating less than my daily calories...Is this a good plan? I thought this would further slow my metabolism. I agree with the healthy food, but shouldn't I then be trying to eat 3000 calories-ish of vegetables on a workout day, even if I go vegetarian?
    Thanks again!
    A
  • deadeyelou
    Options
    I wouldn't obsess so much about the calorie deficits being detrimental. As long as you're getting at least 2000 cals a day, you WON"T be going into starvation mode. It sounds like you put on muscle easily, so cutting out a few extra calories will help shedding fat. The other problem with working out 'hard' for your weight training, your body naturally retains extra water to repair muscle you've just torn down. Eating clean AND lots of pure water will do the trick for you.
  • dox1000
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion on when you get your calories? I always seem to get the most at the end of the day. I suspect that is bad, but I feel like I should be getting them all throughout the day and cereal and a sandwich don't add up to much for lunch and dinner.
    A
  • sullydog101
    sullydog101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It would be better to spread them out through the day rather that eating most at one time. I try to have about 5-6 smaller meals in the day rather than 2-3 large ones like I used to and it seems to work pretty good.