N00b to running - where do I start?

Options
One of my goals for next year is to run (or run/walk, haha) a 5k. Unfortunately I have no idea how to prepare. I can walk a good distance but I've never run before. Also I was wondering how long it would take before I'm ready to tackle a 5k.

Any kind of tips or information would be welcome.

PMaxmwy.gif

Replies

• Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the C25K running program. It is a nine week program for beginners like yourself who want to start running regularly.

This is the program I used and I loved it: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep, C25K!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep C25K is the way to go.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with c25k. I just finished week 5. And I have never really ran in my life. I even walked the mile in highschool. So it definitely works. Good luck to you.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I agree c25k!
  • Christina2189
    Christina2189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm agree with everyone else- c25k! I have it but haven't used it yet but I've heard it's fabulous. I just started running this week and I've been just working on walking - fast paced walking, building up a stamina for that and then in a week or two start the c25k app. Until then I've been using the free Nike+ running app.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes couch to 5k worked for me too... I cheated a bit and didn't do the rest days, and so got results super quick.
    I now run/jog 6-7k for mornings a week....Just because I can.
    Good luck.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said.

I started C25K in July - did my first 10k before my 36th birthday in October and have just finished a winter duathlon series.

C25K works. Simple.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to running! :flowerforyou:

I put all my beginners' tips together in a blog opst when I first started MFP, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Shoes. It is very important to find the right type of running shoe for you.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    C25K. I really like the free Zen Labs app for iPhone or Android, plus it will upload basic data from your runs onto here.
  • ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! The C25K looks very doable, I can't wait to start running! :D
    Hi and welcome to running! flowerforyou

I put all my beginners' tips together in a blog opst when I first started MFP, some of these might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Whoa, thanks! There's so much great info.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    C25k app, decent shoes and a killer playlist! I couldn't run for 3 minutes before that, now I can run 35 minutes straight and complete a 5k in less than that time.
    Honestly addictive! you'll do great!
  • catabolicmind
    Options
    I've never done c25k, but I'm a huge fan of Zombies Run (both 5k and regular). I am one hell of a non-runner and ZR5k is super fun and encouraging. It's been freezing cold in my area lately so I haven't been able to continue past the 3rd week, but all of the workouts have been doable and I am the most out of shape person I know. After you finish the 5k app there is the regular "game" which is basically interval training between whatever pace you can manage and all out sprinting. It's a great way to get in a run and not have it feel like exercise.