"The camera adds 10 pounds."

Options
Yeah, so I just saw some pictures taken of me at a recent gathering. Sigh. I feel great when I glance at myself in the mirror, but man... whenever I see those candid snapshots taken by other people I think I still look overweight, even though I'm technically at a healthy weight. I've still got a ways to go. It's depressing and motivating at the same time, lol.

So, are you surprised when you see snapshots someone took of you? Do you generally feel that you look larger than you thought you actually were, even after dropping some weight?

Replies

• SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Yup. And I often wonder, "How many cameras were there, anyhow???"
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yup. And I often wonder, "How many cameras were there, anyhow???"

LOL!!!
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    I definitely do, but I still see a difference in my size compared to pics taken of me earlier this year so it keeps me motivated. The snapshots let me know that I AM on the right track ^ ^
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    It depends. Usually I think my gosh I look disgusting.

but then in pictures where I was a Maid of honor and the other bridesmaids all small girls - liek 6 inches and 70 pounds smaller than me - I look OK? Maybe because it's professional photography or I'm not the focal point? I treasure those moments

I otherwise still shy away from a camera as i hate it
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just got back from vacation and even though I'm down a lot.....I still looked "fat". But then I looked at a picture of me at my heaviest....and damn.....I look a lot better. :)

Perspective is everything.....
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely....and that is why I hate taking pictures because I feel that I look heavier in the picture that I do in "real life". I own a mirror, after all.

In fact, last night my boyfriend was taking some random pictures and when he showed me.... I looked so pudgy.... but I see his kid in the picture with me.... and she looks like herself..... so I have to wonder if my self-perception is "off" in real life or if I am too critical of myself in a photo.

But that has always been true of me. I take pictures feeling "great" about my progress.... and suddenly, there it is.... a roll here and there.....Well, join the club and photo-shop. Even the models don't look like the models on the magazines.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I still have a LONG way to go but it's probably my #1 NSV that I am pleasantly surprised or at least no longer horrified by photos others have candidly taken.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling! I'm dreading Christmas party photos- I'm only 11lbs down, so although it is noticeable, only a little! I think my plan is to avoid camera's so I don't feel too bad!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so I just saw some pictures taken of me at a recent gathering. Sigh. I feel great when I glance at myself in the mirror, but man... whenever I see those candid snapshots taken by other people I think I still look overweight, even though I'm technically at a healthy weight. I've still got a ways to go. It's depressing and motivating at the same time, lol.

So, are you surprised when you see snapshots someone took of you? Do you generally feel that you look larger than you thought you actually were, even after dropping some weight?

Yes. I look a lot better in the mirror, and appear to be reasonably equivalent to smaller people than me in reflections, so WHY do my hips and thighs still look HUGE in my pics? :sad:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It depends. Usually I think my gosh I look disgusting.

but then in pictures where I was a Maid of honor and the other bridesmaids all small girls - liek 6 inches and 70 pounds smaller than me - I look OK? Maybe because it's professional photography or I'm not the focal point? I treasure those moments

I otherwise still shy away from a camera as i hate it

^^Yes! Why is that? Maybe, it's the angle?
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I still have a LONG way to go but it's probably my #1 NSV that I am pleasantly surprised or at least no longer horrified by photos others have candidly taken.

That is awesome! I hope I can claim that as my NSV too some day. :happy:

Also, I definitely think angle/lighting/etc has something to do with it. The pics I was most shocked at were the ones of me sitting. Standing shots are usually much more flattering. Less lumps and all. :laugh:
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My junk always looks smaller when someone else takes a pic vs when I do it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with how you pose for the photo. There are flattering poses and not so flattering poses. Holding your shoulders back and head up will help, also make space between your body and you arms (hand on hip or otherwise away from the body to add a 3-D aspect to the photo).
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I usually think "wow, I really need to learn to suck in my tummy when I'm getting a picture taken."

Now that I've lost quite a bit, most of my looks okay in photos now...just not the tummy bulge (which i'm working on getting rid of!)
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffer from some body dysmorphia, of sorts. And, no one freak out, it's a low level. But, when I see pictures, I think I look too thin. But, otherwise, I think I look big and bulky and kind of fat.

This is me. I was moderately overweight for so many years (I'm just talking about 30lb or so) and always hated seeing pictures of myself- so now when I see a picture I think, wow! That's me! Not always- but a lot of the time.:smile:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I stopped shying away from the camera 5 yrs ago. I practiced a good sideways pose stance with a tilted up chin to avoid double chin. Since I have a fair idea of how the photo will look I am more relaxed and happy. This improves the photo. Years ago I heard someone say that the reason she had the strength to become a healthy weight was loving herself unreservedly as morbidly obese. It stopped the self hate cycle that fed binges. My acceptance of photos was part of my journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just got back from vacation and even though I'm down a lot.....I still looked "fat". But then I looked at a picture of me at my heaviest....and damn.....I look a lot better. :)

Haha! Totally this!
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just got back from vacation and even though I'm down a lot.....I still looked "fat". But then I looked at a picture of me at my heaviest....and d***.....I look a lot better. :)

This! I still don't look anywhere where I want to...but I just saw some pictures of me a couple Christmases ago and wow!
  • jjcrew22
    jjcrew22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate pics of me right now. Since I have gained weight I avoid the camera. However I don't think I look like what the camera shows at all. I will be happy to take pics once I lose 30lbs. Haha you guys are sill you all have lost so much weight you should be proud and be searching for cameras!! :)