Success with bulk cooking and portions

Options
I credit my success to figuring out how to cook several meals in advance in portion them out immediately. I think I owe a big thank you to the dozens of ZipLock containers with the screw on lids for allowing me to cook only on the weekends and store meals. During the week I have several choices and only need to steam or sauté veggies. Having all this ready makes it much less likely that I will order a pizza or do Chinese carry-out on my way home from work.

stirfry_zpsa24530fa.jpg

stirfry2_zpsb8f40694.jpg

Replies

• UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Beautiful meat and veggie selection. I only cook with a 24hour surplus as the food becomes "off" after more than one day. Although soups and stews tend to taste better after aging a day than the initial one of cooking/consumption.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious! I never used to be a fan of leftovers but I've started cooking surplus a lot lately and just eating the rest during lunch or other dinners where I don't feel like cooking that night. It has definitely helped... along with not always keeping 2-3 Digiorno in the freezer like I used to lol
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I freeze most of my serving containers right away. Then when I take one out of the freezer before work, it is ready to pop in the microwave by lunch time. I've figured out what dishes still taste good using this method. The sirloin steak stir fry is always fine. I slightly undercook the veggies and definitely put the sirloin in fairly rare as it always cooks more when microwaved.

Turkey chili and chicken pesto pasta also freeze well.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for years as I always take lunch to work. Being used to this, has really helped me stay on track with my meals during weightloss. I always cook for 4, eat one portion and have 3 to keep for the week or I freeze them.

This is my favorite fast food ;-)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea but too much work for me ;) Plus I don't always have left overs and some days it's just meat, veg + potatoes, don't see the need to portion out those.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    That stir fry does look good! I love steak.
    I'm a big fan of this to, to an extent. I'll make something like 4 or so portions and freeze one or 2. Then if I have a night later on down the road I can pull one out. Pot roast/potatoes/carrots, crock pot sesame chicken, tomato soup, etc.
  • ferreteers
    ferreteers Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did this the past weekend. Spent Sunday cooking and made a Beef and Cabbage soup, Pumpkin Lasagna, Chicken and Brocolli Casserole and Cauliflower with Carrot Cheese sauce. I froze them in 2 or 4 person sizes and will be able to choose a quick meal for dinner and/or leftovers for the next couple of weeks. Should help with holiday planning and work schedules.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Like you, I owe my weight loss to bulk cooking. And now that I have gone away from that, I am not as "skinny" as I used to be or as "skinny" as I want to be..... but this encourages me.... it sort of dismistified my recent weight gain or reminded me how to lose the new fat/weight.

:bigsmile: