Firm not BIG arms

Options
Does anyone have any tips to firm up my arms without getting big man muscles? I used to swim and ever since I build muscle really quickly in my arms, so I avoid working them. Lately, though, they've been so flappy that I can't stand it. Help please!

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    ligh weights. Women do not really put on muscle. You may think you are building muscle but you were just toning up.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Light weights, high reps but honestly even doing heavy weights will not bulge muscles on a female like a male, we just don't have enough testosterone to bulk up like that. Female body builders have to use supplements to get the muscle that they have.
  • prestoncaleb
    prestoncaleb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have Madonna arms...and I'm a dude. (skinny and veiny but muscular)

Maybe I need to start takin' some testosterone.

:-)
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Light weights, high reps but honestly even doing heavy weights will not bulge muscles on a female like a male, we just don't have enough testosterone to bulk up like that. Female body builders have to use supplements to get the muscle that they have.

Agreed. Definitely lifting weights we dont have the testosterone to bulk up! Good luck
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Light weights, high reps. Women can't bulk up without the help of steroids, we don't have that much testosterone. I lift heavy and I don't have manly arms so don't be afraid of the weights. Remember the more muscle you can build the higher your metabolic rate will be :smile:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour to completely waste, then get those light weights/high reps going. Make sure to use those dumbells with the lavender and green soft covers on them that weigh less then 5 lbs.

If you'd like to actually get something out of your training, then focus on compound movements that include arms, such as bench press, assisted pullups/pull dows, bent over rows, overhead press, dips and upright rows. Not only do these save your time (instead of doing lateral raises and THEN doing tricep kickbacks, just do overhead presses.), they build overall strength in all of your muscles and joints.

Stick to weights that you can't do more then 15 times, and stick to sets in the 6-15 range.

"But won't I get bulky?"

Nope.

1. If you're on a caloric deficit, then building muscle is almost impossible. This is true even for men, who's larger amount of testosterone makes it easier for them to build muscle.

2. muscles won't sneak up on you. If you find that you react especially well and DO start getting more bulk then you want, then adjust the workout accordingly, with less weight training overall. If you happen to build muscles you don't want, just work them less and they'll back off a little.

3. Cardio causes you to lose lean mass as well as fat.

My wife is currently working on the same 5x5 routine (5 sets of 5 reps with heavy enough weight to barely finish the last set) I'm using, and she is really toning up nicely, building just enough muscle to improve her profile and tighten things up. Because of dietary differences, as well as the fact that I'm a man, the same routine is helping me pack on muscle and bulk up.
  • ileanna
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for all of the responses. I think that I will try the light weights with a couple of more intense workouts mixed in. I'll let you know how it goes! Good luck to everyone :)

@Prestoncaleb - Maybe we could trade arms?
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options

My wife is currently working on the same 5x5 routine (5 sets of 5 reps with heavy enough weight to barely finish the last set) I'm using, and she is really toning up nicely, building just enough muscle to improve her profile and tighten things up. Because of dietary differences, as well as the fact that I'm a man, the same routine is helping me pack on muscle and bulk up.

tis ok to do that many sets? i was always told to kep them between 2-3 sets......and 10-12 reps......no wonder my Bye-Bye arm isnt going BYE BYE! Im going to try that 5x5 routine. Maybe that will help also......I have gone from 40.90%BF to 36.20! Maybe if i change my strength training routine along with my diet, ill get that LBD for Christmas!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tis ok to do that many sets? i was always told to kep them between 2-3 sets......and 10-12 reps......no wonder my Bye-Bye arm isnt going BYE BYE! Im going to try that 5x5 routine. Maybe that will help also......I have gone from 40.90%BF to 36.20! Maybe if i change my strength training routine along with my diet, ill get that LBD for Christmas!

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour to completely waste, then get those light weights/high reps going. Make sure to use those dumbells with the lavender and green soft covers on them that weigh less then 5 lbs.

If you'd like to actually get something out of your training, then focus on compound movements that include arms, such as bench press, assisted pullups/pull dows, bent over rows, overhead press, dips and upright rows. Not only do these save your time (instead of doing lateral raises and THEN doing tricep kickbacks, just do overhead presses.), they build overall strength in all of your muscles and joints.

Stick to weights that you can't do more then 15 times, and stick to sets in the 6-15 range.

"But won't I get bulky?"

Nope.

1. If you're on a caloric deficit, then building muscle is almost impossible. This is true even for men, who's larger amount of testosterone makes it easier for them to build muscle.

2. muscles won't sneak up on you. If you find that you react especially well and DO start getting more bulk then you want, then adjust the workout accordingly, with less weight training overall. If you happen to build muscles you don't want, just work them less and they'll back off a little.

3. Cardio causes you to lose lean mass as well as fat.

Love this post!! This is basically my routine also and the results have been amazing! A great book to read is "The Female Body Breakthrough" by Rachel Cosgrove. She knows her stuff and this book has become my bible!!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Workout 1-
    back squats 5x5
    deadlifts 5x5
    pullups 5x5
    abs

2-
    bench press 5x5
    dips 5x5
    close grip bench 5x5
    calves

3-
    front squats 5x5
    bent over rows 5x5
    weighted chin ups 5x5
    barbell curls 5x5
    abs

4-
    overhead press 5x5
    upright rows 5x5
    skull crushers 5x5
    calves

I use 90 seconds rest between all sets. Less rest (30-60 seconds) could be used to keep heart rate up and help burn calories, and more could be used for a focus on strength development. 90 seconds is a good way to combine size and strength development.

Here's the exact routine I use. Each workout is done once/week, resulting in 4 days on, 3 days off. If I'm trying to cut fat, I do cardio on the off days. If I'm trying to add muscle, no cardio. The first set is a warm up set with a weight I could do 15-20 times. The second set is a warm up set with a weight I could do 10-12 times. The last 3 sets are working sets with the same weight, which is a weight I can barely finish the last set with. If I complete all 3 working sets, then next workout I add 5 lbs. I add every week until I can't finish my 5th rep of the 5th set. I stick with that weight until I can finish my last rep, then start adding again.

I work my calves on their own twice a week because they're small and need special attention.

When someone first starts training seriously, it IS possible to both add muscle and lose fat. This is temporary, as the body reacts to new stresses. After a short time the body will no longer be able to add lean mass while on a caloric defecit, but strength should continue to improve. Eventually this too will stop, and gym sessions will have the purpose of maintaining current strength levels.

Once the goal weight is attained and someone goes back to maintanence calories, strength and muscle should start to improve again.

You'll notice that there are NO isolation movements, except for abs and calves. There are multiple reasons why compound movements (exercises using multiple muscles at the same time) are preferable.

1. Efficient use of time/effort. I mentioned this in my last post.

2. More muscles moving = more calories being used and higher heart rate.

3. The body actually changes its hormone production profile when exposed to compound lifts. Production of testosterone increases to help the body build prepare itself to deal with those stresses again. This is another example of using the bodies tendencies to your advantage. This is what allows people to gain muscle when they first begin lifting, even on a caloric deficit. Don't worry, this shift is only slight for women.

4. medium to high intensity workouts raise metabolic rates for up to 48 hours after the session is over. This has the effect of helping you to avoid the downward shift in metabolic rates that takes place whenever the body is exposed to a caloric deficit.