Looking for MFPers in Grad School

Options
Hi y'all,

I'm a junior in college and I'm starting to look at applying for PhD programs (Yikes, undergrad is going too quick!!). Is there anybody here in grad school now? Did you start your weight loss journey in grad school or before it? How has your schedule affected your eating and exercise habits? Any words of advice for someone who is getting ready to start applying? And importantly, what program are you in? I'm not set on a specific program, but I'm looking at Cultural Psychology/Neuroscience and Psychological Anthropology.

Feel free to send me a friend request!

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • AIIiegator
    AIIiegator Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in grad school too!
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I'm in Grad school at Missouri University of Science and Technology (Previously Rolla). I am getting my Masters in Manufacturing Engineering. I started this new workout routine I'm on last year, around the same time I started Grad school. I just ran my first half marathon this year and did the basis of my training for that this Summer when school was out. I am only going to school part time though since I have a full time job and I maintain constant sports throughout the year to keep me sane. To be honest, sometimes I thought that being in school helped keep me on track with my food tracking. I was so busy with the school work, that I didn't snack as I usually did. I recommend not to get comfortable in your own home all the time when it comes to studying. That was the hardest part. When you're in your own home, sometimes you tend to snack on whatever you have in the house (This is why I tend to not buy any snacks for the house) and because you're in your own home, you can't judge yourself on what you eat. I recommend getting out in public where you don't want to be seen stuffing your face with cheetos :) like the library. Having a drink like unsweetened tea tends to help me with my cravings too. Even with school though, I still managed to get to the gym. I like to go in the morning that way I can work on homework after work or on my lunch hour. It makes my days busy, but it makes me less lazy too!!
    Good luck!
    -Rachel
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I WAS in grad school not too long ago- law school. I'm one of those people who can't study at home due to distractions like food, my cat, the TV, etc., so I would pack tons of healthy snacks like carrots, string cheese, turkey, laughing cow and fruit in a lunchbox with an ice pack so I wouldn't be tempted to buy stuff at school. I'm also a morning gym person so I would always get that out of the way in the morning since I knew I would never have the motivation to hit the gym after 9-10 hours at school. Unlike a lot of my peers, I didn't put on weight. I didn't LOSE a ton, but I didn't put on any! Good luck!!
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am in an on-line masters program and have a full-time job. I try to combine work-outs and study by putting my laptop on a chair beside my recumbent bike. I can get a fair bit done in the mornings before work - usually a bit too tired after work to get much accomplished.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior too, and I've already applied for a PhD program. I'm studying to take the GRE now. I also work full time and have night classes. Feel free to add me, I'm struggling to stay motivated.
  • eblakes93
    Options
    Hey girl. I'm in Grad school at Missouri University of Science and Technology (Previously Rolla). I am getting my Masters in Manufacturing Engineering. I started this new workout routine I'm on last year, around the same time I started Grad school. I just ran my first half marathon this year and did the basis of my training for that this Summer when school was out. I am only going to school part time though since I have a full time job and I maintain constant sports throughout the year to keep me sane. To be honest, sometimes I thought that being in school helped keep me on track with my food tracking. I was so busy with the school work, that I didn't snack as I usually did. I recommend not to get comfortable in your own home all the time when it comes to studying. That was the hardest part. When you're in your own home, sometimes you tend to snack on whatever you have in the house (This is why I tend to not buy any snacks for the house) and because you're in your own home, you can't judge yourself on what you eat. I recommend getting out in public where you don't want to be seen stuffing your face with cheetos :) like the library. Having a drink like unsweetened tea tends to help me with my cravings too. Even with school though, I still managed to get to the gym. I like to go in the morning that way I can work on homework after work or on my lunch hour. It makes my days busy, but it makes me less lazy too!!
    Good luck!
    -Rachel

Being out in public to study is a great idea!! Keep myself away from my kitchen cabinets haha. Thanks so much and best wishes!
  • eblakes93
    Options
    Thanks everybody! On a happy note - today was my first full day of logging in ages!! I still have dinner ahead of me and only 200 calories left, so I'll probably be over, but at least I logged! Yay!

Now I just need to finish my anthropology paper....
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior as well. I'm a public health major with concentrations in maternal/child care and psychological health. I'm also minoring in youth services.

I am going to get a dual masters degree in social work and public health or law and public health. Haven't decided which yet.

Planning on applying to George Washington University, Fordham University, Uconn, and NYU.
  • eblakes93
    Options
    I'm a junior as well. I'm a public health major with concentrations in maternal/child care and psychological health. I'm also minoring in youth services.

I am going to get a dual masters degree in social work and public health or law and public health. Haven't decided which yet.

Planning on applying to George Washington University, Fordham University, Uconn, and NYU.

I thought about doing social work for a while. I think the social work/public health dual sounds awesome. Good luck!
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i am in graduate school and key is planning! I plan out my week on Sunday, do the shopping, all prep work. This even includes usually making overnight oatmeal for breakfast each day. Then the week is a breeze! You can preplan for the night you will be out with your fellow students, etc.
  • shortcurls
    Options
    Currently in grad school and I work full time. I agree with other posters, planning really is key. Also, crock pot meals are seriously the best thing ever. I can put stuff in before I go to work, tell my boyfriend to take it out when he gets home, and by the time I'm home, dinner is ready! I pack healthy snacks with me so I'm not tempted to go to Whataburger on the way to school. Unfortunately, it eats up my time and I can only go to the gym on days I don't have classes, but next semester is the last one and I should have a little more wiggle room. Currently working on my master's in Criminal Justice. It's a tough program, but somehow I managed to survive!
  • jerrodh
    jerrodh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just finished my Ph.D. in August.. and ended up at least 30 lb heavier than when I first started it 6.5 years ago, with some roller-coaster weight variation over those years. Went up 30, then down 50 (in a happy, motivated period after passing qualifying exams), then gained it all back again as my research really ramped up. With the degree done, I'm now about halfway through losing the 50+ lb now, and I'm going to fight like hell to properly maintain this time. (This is my 4th 40+ lb diet... I'm a pro at losing, but not at maintaining. Hopefully my new cycling hobby will help that.)

Sorry... off topic. Anyway...

You're going to be busier than you've ever been before, and if you're anything like me, being super busy gets in the way of dietary discipline, or even just having the presence of mind & routine to regularly get on a scale and have some awareness. Make good habits now -- planning, intake, shopping, exercise, monitoring -- and cling to them as the demands of grad school attempt to tear them away.

Good luck, and have fun!