Any tips for a large appetite-

Options
Hi all looking for some tips on how to satisfy a large appetite, Please feel free to add me and share any advice :)

Replies

• rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fill up on veggies! I also have a habit of eating often so I prefer to eat a few small meals as opposed to 3 regular meals.
    Also try and take as long as possible to eat e.g. if your eating noodles use chopsticks. It makes your meal last longer which in turn makes you feel more full up :smile:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods, be active, drink enough water. Super nutritious foods fill me up for longer than something like a piece of bread. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup fage yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)
    2 boiled eggs with salt, pepper, paprika, and a little extra virgin olive oil

Snack:
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or other nuts

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish
    lots of veggies (especially green)

Snack
    1 gala apple or other fruits/veggies

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

LOTS of water, add lemon, cucumber, mint if you want

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger
    add boiling hot water, drink after a few minutes

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates could replace the m&ms for any sweet cravings. Mix up the fruit and veggies and it can have tons of variety. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories. I really hope this helps.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods, be active, drink enough water. Super nutritious foods fill me up for longer than something like a piece of bread. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup fage yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)
    2 boiled eggs with salt, pepper, paprika, and a little extra virgin olive oil

Snack:
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or other nuts

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish

Snack
    1 gala apple or other fruits/veggies

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

LOTS of water, add lemon, cucumber, mint if you want

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger
    add boiling hot water, drink after a few minutes

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates could replace the m&ms for any sweet cravings. Mix up the fruit and veggies and it can have tons of variety. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories. I really hope this helps.

Well, isn't that specific.

OP, eat what you like, but stop at an appropriate calorie limit. Instead of having three slices of pizza, have one slice of pizza and a big side salad with leafy greens and minimal dressing. Count calories, and stop at your calorie limit. That's all there is to it.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I found the best thing is low cal, high volume food. Vegetables, and lean protein (protein has the same calories per once as carbs do).

I try to eat when I am hungry and stop when I'm not hungry any more.

Cutting soda mostly out of my diet and drinking water instead. A lot of people confuse thirst for hunger.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For those with big appetites, try to find the recipes that are lower calorie, but large servings, so then if you end up wanting more the calorie gain isn't huge.

But, some of the game though is knowing when to stop and developing the will power to do so.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    veggies or try intermittent fasting.
  • stacks34
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. Have like 2 glasses with your dinner and constantly take sips. I know it's a popular tip but it's really effective
  • Jilleelicious
    Jilleelicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't go low on H2O!!!! Lots and lots of water. Sometimes we get hunger mixed up with dehydration.
    You could also have a food allergy. You could try cutting certain thinks out of your diet gluten, dairy, sugar. The Whole30 is great for that! I just started it today! I also take diatomaceous earth every morning because it cleans your intestines so the nutrients can be absorbed!
  • cheesefloss
    Options
    Have you tried Zero Noodles? They're a noodle substitute you can find in Holland & Barrett and online (there's another brand of essentially the same thing called Slim Noodles) and they're something like 7 calories for a packet.
    They have a slightly odd texture and don't have much of a taste, but they take up the flavour of whatever you cook them with well. We like to have them alongside a largish portion of stir fry, for example, then your meal is essentially just the calories of the stir fry..if you see what I'm saying?
    You can also get pasta and rice made of the same substance, although I've never had them and I've heard they're not as nice!
    Hope this helps and good luck!xx
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Alot of people swear by filling up on Proteins.

Eggs are a good one for me. They fill me up for quite a while.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    dry lentils and beans. soak them then cook. lower in calories and sodium than canned and get me REALLY full. Also, giant salads, stir fries, basically any non-starchy veggies are great.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi all looking for some tips on how to satisfy a large appetite, Please feel free to add me and share any advice :)

There is no easy answer. You simply have to eat less, in whatever way best fits your personality and lifestyle.

And that will take discipline and lots of will power.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shake before your meals
    BIG salads, try different veggies and fruits on them, tuna, chicken, black beans
    Apples
    Yogurt with granola
    WATER
    Brown rice

Just a few things I've tried and worked

Brittany
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    look into intermittent fasting.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    High protein seems to work for quite a few people because it is satiating.

I've also heard of many people finding carbs satiating.

Some people swear by IF techniques.

Will power and discipline, consistency, and not giving up or getting down when you have a setback!

You just have to find what works for you!

There is no easy answer.

Good luck!
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

There is no easy answer. You simply have to eat less, in whatever way best fits your personality and lifestyle.

And that will take discipline and lots of will power.

I agree.
    In regards to food, I try to a lot of high fiber foods, drink water, tea, soups, lots of veggies.

In regards to lifestyle, staying busy, exercise and follow a meal plan. I find that if I have a plan in place, It takes most of the focus off of food, like what do I eat, what should I eat, what do I feel like having. Because I feel like having everything in my fridge. So I have a plan of 3 meals, if I want snacks, I have apples or veggies, or a protein, have a glass of water and then go back to being busy.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I needed a lot of food. My policy was "put it on a bed of lettuce." What I meant by that was I'd make a big salad usually a Mediterranean one that I love and if we were having lasagna I'd chop it up and throw it on the salad. I was amazed at how many things tasted great on a salad. If it didn't sound good I'd have a big salad and whatever was for dinner or lunch. The salad I like is baby greens, cucumber, kalamatta olives, pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, and tomatoes. Dressed with balsamic vinegar, flax oil and sriracha.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I fit in snacks all day long by planning my food for the day in advance. As others have said, protein and healthy fats fill you up the most. I do like carbs a lot though and tend to crave them the most, so I plan them in and measure everything. Fill in the gaps with drinking lots of water.

Sometimes I feel like I eat more since starting to lose weight than I did in my previous lifestyle. I'm almost always full too!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm a bottomless pit. i just make sure to eat things that are going to keep me feeling full until the next meal.

feel free to have a look at my diary (it's open) but i try to eat a lot of high protein things
  • ahilbrander
    Options
    I used to have one... Ate 24/7 and never felt full. Then I dropped all processed food and now I have a hard time eating enough calories. Grains I found to be the biggest appetite stimulant ( the least of the issues caused by them). Bottom line, youre hungry because your body isn't getting what it needs. Oh I lost 25 before I started this too. PMS will get me once and awhile though...