Strengthen core, reduce back pain?

Options
I know this has been posted about before, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for when I search.
Wondering if anyone can help recommend some good core building exercises. Specifically one's that will help alleviate some of the stress on my back as I keep getting lower back pain.
I work full time, go to school part time, and parent my 3 year old the rest of the time. I sit at a desk all day for work, and at school. My posture is pretty bad (hunched over a computer all day isn't really good for it), and I know a lot of the pain could be resolved by strengthening my core muscles to relieve some of the stress on my back.
I've been to the doctor and there's no damage to my spine or anything like that. My pain is caused simply by never using my abs, and over using my back.
I'm looking for simple exercises I can do either at work or home with little to no equipment.
Any tips?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The plank is one of the best ab exercises you can do. Look up videos on YouTube to see the form. With the plank, it's about holding the form for set periods of time (10 seconds, 20, etc). As you get stronger, you'll be able to hold the form longer. There's also the "Bicycle Maneuver", which will work them hard.

Also, while sitting at your desk at work, consciously pull in your abs while sitting. Make yourself sit up straight (adjust your chair as needed). That will go along way towards relieving your back.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    The plank is one of the best ab exercises you can do. Look up videos on YouTube to see the form. With the plank, it's about holding the form for set periods of time (10 seconds, 20, etc). As you get stronger, you'll be able to hold the form longer.

This is exactly what came to my mind. If you want a cheap video, 30day Shred (Jillian Michaels) has a bunch of plank work.$10 at Walmart.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yoga, the plank, bridges/hip extensions. I would suggest getting a yoga for core strength video. As someone with some fairly major lower back issues, yoga has been amazing and reduced my pain significantly. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    swap out your computer chair for an exercise ball
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Resistance/strength training. Compound lifts (if you have access to barbells or dumbbells), otherwise bodyweight exercises like planks, push ups, etc. I would suggest staying away from excessive crunches as they can aggravate/tweak the lower back.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If possible, I think deadlifts and squats would be appropriate. Deadlifts are great for posture and will get your back very strong. Both of those will also help with abs.

I know you were asking for things you could do at home without equipment, so for that I would second the planks suggestion. However, after you 're able to hold those for a while, you might need to find new ways to challenge yourself.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    See here:

http://www.princeton.edu/uhs/pdfs/Lumbar.pdf

A consultation with a decent physiotherapist may be a good idea as well.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I observe at a physical therapy clinic and that's what the main complaint is! You want to really focus on strengthening your transverse abdominus. Do bridges, get on all fours and work on raising one leg straight back without arching your back. Also do upper body work like rows (focusing on squeezing together shoulder blades and keeping your shoulders down). Starting with those (and others you can find online) will help a lot if they're done once a day!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the core strength work that other have suggested you may want to start doing this mobility routine 2 or more times per week. Helped me out a lot.

Limber 11
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the core strength work that other have suggested you may want to start doing this mobility routine 2 or more times per week. Helped me out a lot.

Limber 11
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

I do this and Simple 6 as part of my warm up and cool down. They are great!!!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I have a little experience with back pain, I recommend deadlifts, planks are also a decent core workout, but deadlifts are the bees knees, squats are good too.

Rigger
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I hope I am just stating the obvious buy work on your posture if that is what is causing the pain. You can do all the planks you want, but if your still slumping away, your not going to alleviate you pain.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    All of advice is good. I'd add the superman move as well which strengthens the lower back. Yoga is really great for stretching out those lower back muscles. But as another poster said, posture is also key. Especially if you are sitting at a computer all day. My physical therapist gave this to me as a post physical therapy prescription:

1. Make sure your eyes are parallel with the midsection of your computer monitor. If you are hunching over a lap top, this is not good. Invest in something that you can place the monitor on to get it to the right height.

2. Make should that when you are sitting, your upper legs and lower legs make perfect a right angle so that your feet are flat on the floor. Thighs should be parallel with the floor.

3. Get a chair with good lumbar support.

If you make those adjustments in at you work station it will force you to sit upright and put less pressure on your back and shoulders. Good luck!
  • HKHAN1982
    HKHAN1982 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same back problems and work from home full time. Ive tried planks but they cause me more back pain and I cant hold it for that long due to the pain. Could that be cuz of incorrect form? Been struggling with back pain for over 8 yrs and have found no good resolution. Tried physical therapy, chiropractors, massages, sleep number bed..etc etc. My doc also said strengthening core muscles is key. I also have extra 15 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I work out atleast 3 times a week..the desk job really does a number on me :(
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have the same back problems and work from home full time. Ive tried planks but they cause me more back pain and I cant hold it for that long due to the pain. Could that be cuz of incorrect form? Been struggling with back pain for over 8 yrs and have found no good resolution. Tried physical therapy, chiropractors, massages, sleep number bed..etc etc. My doc also said strengthening core muscles is key. I also have extra 15 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I work out atleast 3 times a week..the desk job really does a number on me :(

Start with these, then. Physical therapists use this one; it's yoga but MD-approved :)

Yoga_BalancingTablePose_300x350.jpg

http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-balancing-table-pose-in-yoga
  • abstrengthguide12
    Options
    The first thing that you should understand is that just working the lower abs will not result in losing fat in that area. In order to lose fat in that area. You can also visit about best ab exercises http://abstrengthguide.net.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have/had chronic lower back pain, but I noticed that it improved massively when I started walking on a daily basis. I noticed that the muscles on either side of my spine in the lower back, which I've since learned are called the multifidus, had become stronger. I presume this is because they were getting some actual use while walking, as opposed to just atrophying while I sit at a desk all day... Anyway, I've started doing some specific exercises to target these muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBDz6YUz7xk

The condition of my back has improved massively. Maybe this will help you, too?
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I found that getting up at least once an hour and moving around for like five minutes helps and try to get at least 15 minutes in a chunk if you can. If my posture really starts slipping i find sitting more towards the front of my chair helps ( although if I've been extra slouchy, I can't do it for too long before it starts hurting between my shoulder blades). Belly dancing has also helped both my posture and my back pain and core strength in general. You can easily find videos, you tube on basics, and if you have Comcast (yes I know they are evil) there are even some "classes" found in the On-demand. You have to do a lot and very intense to make difference for weight loss, but you can still see results for pain reduction and core strength even with carrying extra weight.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Strengthening your core will help a bit, but more beneficial will be exercises that strengthen your lower back (so that it can deal with the pressure easier) and strengthening your upper back/shoulders (so that you don't hunch forward, which is causing your lower back to round out to compensate, causing tension). Lots of stretching and mobility work will also help.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    swap out your computer chair for an exercise ball

This really shouldn't be done all day.

OP, you would probably benefit from seeing a physiotherapist if you have pain. I'm finishing up going after 13 weeks (I had a spinal injury). I was given a lot of core exercises customized for my abilities which has significantly reduced pain.