Bodymediafit Calories

I have been wearing a bodymediafit for a month or so and I truly feel like the calories are not calculating correctly. I go to the gym and I start with a vigorous warm-up typically consisting of 100 single unders, 25 pvc pipe overhead squats, 100 single unders, 25 hand release push-ups, 25 sit ups, 100 single unders. Then I stretch for 10 minutes or so. I then proceed to do a wod consisting of lots of strength training and cardio including 35 pound kettlebell swings.

Well, I have been stretching all this for an average of 2 hours and 20 minutes in order to reach a 500 calorie burn goal. Doesn't it seem odd that the calorie burn is so low. When I see the results of Polar users their burn is so high. Just wondering....I guess the positive is that my workouts have gone from 1 hour to over 2 hours so I guess it's better. I have always been curious about the real calorie burn of my Crossfit style wods. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Mine seems to give an estimate on the lower side for weight training and stationary cycling. You'll see on the Biggest Loser, how sometimes they strap them to their left calves? I have heard this will give you a more accurate burn for those exercises. The Bodymedia website says doing that might confuse the device, but I do that when I'm lifting or using a stationary bike, otherwise it gives me diddly squat. :laugh: Just keep comparing its estimates with your actual results and you'll get a better handle on it as time goes by.
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for helping! Where do you wear it on your calf?
  • Cindyinpg
    I just put it about mid calf.
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks, I'll try that. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Unless they've changed it since I had mine, it's not designed to track resistance exercise. You're supposed to manually log that.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Mine seems to give an estimate on the lower side for weight training and stationary cycling. You'll see on the Biggest Loser, how sometimes they strap them to their left calves? I have heard this will give you a more accurate burn for those exercises. The Bodymedia website says doing that might confuse the device, but I do that when I'm lifting or using a stationary bike, otherwise it gives me diddly squat. :laugh: Just keep comparing its estimates with your actual results and you'll get a better handle on it as time goes by.
    Do you just want a big number- or an accurate number????? HRM are not designed for weights and so that figure won't be accurate. Weight training doesn't burn a huge number of calories at the time ( but will have an effect afterwards too), so your BM will be more accurate. Don't move it on the calf just to inflate the numbers. It's not designed for that and it will be inaccurate.

You could do some cardio too.
  • Cindyinpg
    Do you just want a big number- or an accurate number????? HRM are not designed for weights and so that figure won't be accurate. Weight training doesn't burn a huge number of calories at the time ( but will have an effect afterwards too), so your BM will be more accurate. Don't move it on the calf just to inflate the numbers. It's not designed for that and it will be inaccurate.

You could do some cardio too.
    I do quite a bit of cardio. My TDEE ranges from 2750-3250. But my BMF, truly gives me NOTHING for stationary cycling or lifting if I have it on my arm, and I mean nothing. Like 1.5 calories a minute, no different than just sitting on the couch. That is a common complaint by many users. I wouldn't care if it was just the lifting, but I cycle pretty much everyday. Yet it seems accurate for kickboxing and running. Going by my own results, it is more accurate on my calf for stationary cycling and weight training and, in my case anyway, it s not overestimating, it gives me maybe 3 calories a minute for weight training and 5 for cycling, which is not out of line.