Best 'Form' of Nut to use for Homemade Nut Butter?

Options
I'm planning on buying some almonds in bulk to make my own nut butter. Every recipe I've seen so far calls for raw, unsalted whole almonds (roasted or non, im planning to roast). I was wondering if there would be a difference if I were to use sliced or slivered almonds? Just curious!

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on buying some almonds in bulk to make my own nut butter. Every recipe I've seen so far calls for raw, unsalted whole almonds (roasted or non, im planning to roast). I was wondering if there would be a difference if I were to use sliced or slivered almonds? Just curious!

Not really, maybe price. Slivered almonds are usually blanched, which means they have the skins removed. That will yield a slightly different butter than whole unblanched almonds.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    cashews and macadamia nuts...youre welcome
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

It's pricey, but yes, do this at least once. Yum.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i want to try cashew as well but i've never had any yet! thanks for the recommendation though
    Not really, maybe price. Slivered almonds are usually blanched, which means they have the skins removed. That will yield a slightly different butter than whole unblanched almonds.
    they're priced the same here, i was just unsure if the consistency or difference really matters but i'm starting to find some recipes that recommend blanched too so thank you!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    If I understand you, you're planning on buying them raw and roasting them yourself? In that case, I would think buying whole almonds (as opposed to sliced or slivered) would mean less risk of burning the nuts. Sliced and slivered pieces will go from not quite done to overdone to a little burned a lot more quickly than a whole nut will, if you get distracted for a couple of minutes.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've bought a walnut cashew butter which was lovely so you could try that. The other I had was a almond chia butter. Not tried to make my own yet since I don't eat it very much but should more often.