Holidays!?

Options
Does anyone have any advice on how to survive the holidays? I love the holidays and tend to eat unhealthy this holiday I am trying to eat healthier then i usually do. I am new to myfitnesspal and hoping that I can eat better.

Jess
:heart: :heart: :heart: :love:

Replies

• greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions and eat the healthier food instead of the cookies and cakes. A small cookie occasionally within your calorie goal is not going to hurt. Don't let guilt get to you if you do go over as the holidays come around but once a year.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It can be a very stressful time when you're new to counting calories and/or you're an emotional eater. You just have to do the best you can. Log all your food here, as best you can. That will go some way to stopping you from overdoing things. Otherwise, just try to be mindful of what you're eating. Just because food is there and available, doesn't mean you have to indulge. You don't have to be completely restrictive either. Enjoy the holiday food, but try to practise moderation.

On Christmas Day, I will indulge, and I won't count calories. I know for a fact I will be way over my goal, but it's just one day. One day won't make me fat. The rest of the time, I will enjoy Christmas treats, but try to stay within my goals as much as possible. And when I don't, I won't beat myself up about it. What matters is how you eat most of the time, not on a few isolated occasions. Just don't make Christmas indulgences last from now until January. One cookie won't derail you. Even 6 cookies won't derail you. Using the holiday as an excuse to just go crazy though - that could put a serious dent in your weight loss endeavours. Eat, drink, be merry, be aware of what you're putting in your mouth, log your calories, and be as active as you can. It'll be over in a couple of weeks.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I still log on Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years, but I may be over my maintenance. It's only a few days. The rest of December is business as usual. However, I do not categorize foods as healthy/unhealthy, good/bad. I eat foods I love all the time and have ice cream everyday. What matters is creating a calorie deficit, ideally while meeting your protein, fat and fiber goals. Then exercise for fitness and strength train to preserve lean muscle mass. Know what your intake is, buy a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    However, I do not categorize foods as healthy/unhealthy, good/bad. I eat foods I love all the time and have ice cream everyday. What matters is creating a calorie deficit, ideally while meeting your protein, fat and fiber goals.
    This is how I approach things too, and this attitude has really helped me I think. For example, chocolate is pretty much a daily thing for me, so I don't feel like I need to splurge just because there's more of it around now. Food is food; some of it just has more nutrients than others. Just don't eat too much of any of it, try and hit your targets, and you'll be fine.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan, plan. Pre-log meals so you don't get off track.
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You are right to look at food as food and not as good or bad. I like that outlook. I think I am just going to do my best that is all that I can do. :)

Jess