Starting out - need encouragement (or a kick in the ...?)

Options
Before I had my two kids, I weighed about 35-40 lbs less than I do now... I got almost back to that after baby No. 1 with relatively little effort (lucky me, I know), but this time, it's sticking. My little one is 6 months and I have only lost maybe 10 lbs since he was born (out of 40 or so). I really want to get back to feeling good about how I look, I want to fit into at least some of my old clothes again, and I don't like the fact that I have to choose shirts now based on how much they hide my belly pouch...

However, I haven't done anything like this before, and I am scared! MFP caclulated a daily calorie goal of 1600 for me (based on 0.5 lbs of weight loss a week), and I think, I usually eat about 2500... That's a HUGE difference - for just 0.5 lbs a week!? Ok, I am trying to see where I can get some easy gains - no more half and half, no more mayonnaise, for example. But still. And I don't want a quick fix - I want something I can stick with. Could I really stick with 1600 calories for the long haul???

I think my biggest problem is that I have been eating huge portions for years now - I was pregnant with my first and hungry all the time, and then I breastfed her (a lot) until I got pregnant with no. 2. Now my second is 6 months, and I am weaning him much faster than I did his sister (I really only nurse him at night anymore). So, for the first time in 3 years or so, I am back to eating ONLY for myself... and I am not used to it at all. Plus, I just turned 31 and maybe age has something to do with it, too... sigh...

Are there tips or strategies (also mental strategies) that worked for you? Is it reasonable to start out with a smaller goal, such as 2000 calories a day? With the 1600, I kind of already feel deprived just thinking about it... Ugh, I'm such a crybaby, I know! Any encouragement is very welcome :-) (And feel free to give me a kick in the you know what ;-))

Replies

• britteliz1
    britteliz1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You've already taken the first step, girl!

As far as tips: WEIGH EVERYTHING YOU EAT. Invest in a food scale, watch your portions! And feel free to add me because this whole journey is a lot easier with friends in your corner!
  • princesspayton
    princesspayton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP!

Honestly, I would start off at 2,000 calories per day if you are used to eating 2500 and after a couple weeks, maybe a month, of eating that much then ween yourself down to 1600. :)

OR

Do 1600 calories but do some exercises that earn you calories back so that it roughly equals to you eating 2000 calories and then start lowering your calorie intake if you want to lose more than .5 pounds per week.

Either of these options I would do, and personally I am attempting option number two for myself but with different circumstances and calorie intake of course :)

Another good rule of thumb: eat lots of fruit and vegetables. They fill you up without all the empty calories that some foods have, as well as drink water instead of sugary drinks and such. Water has no calories and helps flush out your system of toxins and such. Drinking sodas for instance adds empty calories to your diet as well sugar and other stuff (if you don't just look at calories).

Hope this helps, and if you want add me as a friend :)

-- Princess Payton
  • hchevis
    Options
    I know. Switching from mommy mode to self mode is a difficult transition. Swaps are good. Be sure to drink enough water. It may help to research items that will keep you full (coffee, tea, fruit, etc). Establish a cut off time for eating. Figure out your triggers. Find things to do instead of giving in to your triggers (like responding to posts ;)).Getting started is hard. Once the weight starts coming off, that helps to keep you motivated. Good luck.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's ok to "eat up" to lose weight ... This link helped me - it might give you some comfort too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

and some free information at http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/ has helped me out

Do you know what your current TDEE is? You can recalculate your daily calories after each 5lb drop ... so it's only a slight decrease each time. I suggest don't eat below your BMR - see information at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Best of luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great info here already, so here is your kick in the ...... KICK

Its also Hard adjusting to two kids. It feels like 3 times the work.
    Watch all those extra hidden calories of taking food of the plate because they didn't eat it, and eating it because you don't want to waste food... believe me that goes to Waist instead!

Lots of water
    Start to substitute. spend a week figuring out what you really Do eat in a day/week.
    Don't be scared already or you'll drop out! Be Excited you're making great changes that will forever affect your kids! Teaching them to eat right is so Awesome!!!!! (says a person still struggling with hers)

Nancy
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Leamiri,
    It's a great choice to be starting your weight loss journey today, rather than waiting for the new year. A lot of damage can be done in the holiday weeks when people have the mindset to start "January 1st." I know that my gym is crazy busy for the first 3 or so weeks and then it gets back to normal.
    I know that 1600 calories seem low when you are used to eating a lot more, but one of the things about MFP is that you are encouraged to eat back the calories that you burn through exercise. The target number of calories you have been suggested to eat is low enough to promote weight loss at about half a pound a week. When you eat back the calories burned, you remain at a deficit and although slow, the weight will eventually drop off. The key is patience and persistence.
    I have found that I can eat a lot of food for my 1200 calories or I can use it all up in one meal. It all has to do with your food choices. I've been on MFP since the end of August and, it's funny really, I seem to have lost my desire for crappy food. The problem is though, when I do eat it, I want more of it. So I am finding out that the best thing for me is to avoid the poor choices and not have any. Much easier said than done, I know, and I slide off the wagon every now and again. It's OK as long as I get right back on it. My weight loss isn't dramatic- just 13 pounds so far, but you will read that many others have lost much, much more. The support really helps and you will develop a little group of online friends who will encourage you and who you will cheer on as well. Feel free to add me.
    Food wise, try to focus on whole foods that you prepare at home. Look at the food diarys of others. It will give you some great ideas. Exercise wise, well, we all know that it's extra hard when you have two little ones, especially in the winter. There are some excellent exercise videos out there though and some aren't that long.
    Be encouraged. This is something you can do. You're not old enough to blame it on age although it would be nice to have something to blame it on. Hey, maybe it has everything to do with having just had two babies?! Try to log in every day. It really seems to help with the motivation. Hope this is what you needed to hear.
    Wendalyse
  • leamiri
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the responses! I already feel a little better. :-) It's nice to know I don't have to do this alone. @Nancybuss, I am totally guilty of eating the "last few bites" my daughter didn't eat!
    @wendalyse, there are probably a lot of options to cut calories that I am not aware of. I never looked at calories before and I know nothing! I was totally shocked today to discover that the three sandwiches I ate for lunch had 420 calories for the bread alone (and 150 for the mayonnaise)... but only 250 for the chicken (=my favorite part). I don't even like bread that much!
    @suprsonic, thank you for the links! According to scoobysworkshop, my BMR is 1499 and my TDEE is 1799. With a 5% calorie reduction (let's take this slooow), that would put me at 1709 a day.
    @hchevis, lots of good advice, and thanks for the encouragement! :-)
    @princesspayton, yes, I think I will start with about 2000 calories. Maybe I'll see how I do with that this week and go from there. I assume I have a steep learning curve ahead of me :-)
    @brittelis, adding you asap :-)
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    anyone is more then welcome to add me :)