How much do you tip the auto mechanic?

Options
mayaocean
mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
I'm having my winter tires installed on my car, and was wondering how much I should tip the mechanic?

15, 20, 25, 30%?

Thanks.

Replies

• Ninguneado77
    Options
    If I were your mechanic and you would be wearing that dress….that'd be more than enough of a tip
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna need some actual numbers friends!

I don't want it to seem like I don't appreciate their hard work.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They get paid up to 55/60 an hour....wear a revealing shirt and flirt with fhem a little and that will be good. Throw in a wink if they went above and beyond
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Depends on if he is doing it on the side or at a shop. My hubby is a wonderful mechanic at a big dealership and does work on the side also. People at the dealership never tip any mechanics............he does get tips once in awhile for side work. I would say 10-15% would be a good amount.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOO! LOL Plus I live with mine he gets paid through my satisfaction
    Options
    They get paid up to 55/60 an hour....wear a revealing shirt and flirt with fhem a little and that will be good. Throw in a wink if they went above and beyond

Don't know where you live but here my husband is the highest paid in his dealership, been doing it 17 yrs, and makes $21.00/hr but the dealership charges over $100/hour
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Don't know where you live but here my husband is the highest paid in his dealership, been doing it 17 yrs, and makes $21.00/hr but the dealership charges over $100/hour
    I live in cali...21 an hour is a nice rate, but if you are in cali, and been at a job that long, you should be making 30, the least 25
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I believe you are going to appear insane if you tip! Don't give women a bad reputation. Forget the posts about tipping...I have two women friends that are hard working mechanics and would be insulted if you offered to tip them...they bill you

Shirley in Snowy Oregon
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Umm...I don't tip them. They usually over charge anyways
    Options

I live in cali...21 an hour is a nice rate, but if you are in cali, and been at a job that long, you should be making 30, the least 25

Not bad. What I don't like is it sounds like a lot to people who aren't familiar with the profession but in reality they only get paid per flag hour not by hours on the job. That's the only downside to their pay, really
  • Kowee84
    Kowee84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i only let my dad near my car... we dont really TIP here in australia... and i throw in a carton of beer when i know hes saved me heaps of money...what a nice daughter i am LOL
  • malimisko
    malimisko Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it is a complex job as installing winter tires and they went completely out of way to help you out it's 30%.

Then I also must agree with the second poster - if you wear your red dress - no tip is necessary.