Black outs while exercising

CORTNEY5
CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
When I exercise hard, I black out during and get really bad headaches. I am prone to migranes and am on Topamax to prevent them. My headaches after working out are like pressure headaches. Could this be due to poor circulation/lack of oxygen/overheating? Topamax also inhibits your ability to sweat. Anyone else have this happen??? It's kind of scary.

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    OMG! :frown:
    I don't know anything about this... but, curious to see what people have to say.
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    I would contact your doctor. If nothing else, workout with a trainer or someone to observe you so you do not get hurt.
  • cjkasseckert
    cjkasseckert Posts: 53 Member
    I can say that I have experienced anything like this. However, to me it sounds serious and you may want to discuss it with your doctor. Perhaps a stress test may be need to identify what is going on. Would not want it to get worse for you.
  • I have a similar situation, I will see stars and spots and on day I work out my shoulders I get a tingling in the back of my next and by late morning I get migraine.

I asked my trainer, and she said I am not getting enough water and the tension knots in my shoulders could be a culprit.

I still have a doc appointment set up tho.

I hope you get some good answers here but I would totally recommend going to your neurologist!!
  • Incisive
    Incisive Posts: 9 Member
    Exact thing happened to me. I was on a 1200 calorie diet and blacking out... literally falling down. My doctor told me to eat at LEAST 2000 calories with a workout that rigorous... 1500 for doing nothing and another 500 for the workout... and that's VERY low intake BTW.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    oh whenever i work out i lose feeling in my hands for hours sometimes i think its because ive broken my arms so much its probably circulation they turn whiter and get like red dots in area idk
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    That sounds crazy...I would be interested in knowing what the doctor would say
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I was getting something like this when I was doing exercising with rapid changes. I'd do pushups, then squats, then situps, and then start over and I would get dizzy, light headed, swimming vision and occasional black spots. After a few days of this, I thought that maybe I wasn't eating enough and drinking enough, so I cut back the rate of my weight loss by 0.5 pounds per week (giving me 250 more calories or so a day), drank my water and within a week it was gone. Don't know if it is coincidence of not. It also broke the plateau i was on.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Yeah that's totally scary! I'd ask your doctor asap. I would hate to have something happen to you. Better to be safe than sorry!
  • myrbg
    myrbg Posts: 93
    how is your breathing when you exercise? if i don't breathe properly when i work out, i get really bad head rushes, i get really dizzy, and my face gets numb. it is because i am not giving my body enough oxygen, which means i am hyperventilating.
  • Ive never had this happen but Im sure its disconcerting and causes you a fair amount of anxiety. Just from a fellow members
    concern, make sure your eating your fair share of calories , getting plenty of water , and taking your migraine medication in plenty of time prior to exercise. Im sure youll get past this .
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Yes, you are correct - it does prevent you from regulating your body temperature. It's often used for people with seizure disorders - and it's also a mood regulator. Please talk to your doctor as blacking out does not sound safe.

I also get the headaches after a new and hard workout. It does seem to go away once I've built up some stamina - but I'm not on any medications.

PLEASE CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!
  • CORTNEY5
    I still have the headache today, but only when I bend or cough hard... like there is pressure built up in my head.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    It sounds like your blood pressure could be getting too high. Definitely see a doctor and remember to breathe while you're working out.
  • CORTNEY5
    I try to remind myself to breathe and make sure I can still speak a sentance.
  • I will get blackouts if I haven't had enough to eat prior to my workout and if I haven't drank enough water. For sure check with your Dr. But make sure you have a good snack before you work out really hard. I know that helps me
  • CORTNEY5
    Thanks for all the input guys!
This discussion has been closed.