Sprintec and weight gain?

Options
I would like to hear about anyone's experiences with this birth control. I just started taking it and I don't want to keep up this prescription if it's going to ruin my weight loss. Any answers would be great!

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was on the Tri Sprintec last year for about 6 months and HATED IT. i gained about 5lbs within the first month and it never came off until I went off it. And I was very strict with my diet, too. Plus I had major water weight gain around my TOM (like 6-8lbs and I'm a 120lb person so that was huge). I had a really hard time controlling my appetite while I was on it as well which had not been an issue for me prior to being on it. I was put on it due to being anemic from my heavy periods but I got my iron levels up and went off the pill and (*crossing fingers/knocking on wood*) so far my TOM is fairly normal now.
  • lizzieliladunst
    Options
    i'm on the same stuff, but i haven't really noticed it messing with my weight. i've only been using it for a month, though, so it could have an effect that i have yet to really notice.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Sprintec for about 2 years and haven't noticed any side effects or weight gain. I think it's now my favorite of all the ones I've tried in the past.
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I took it for about two months and gained about 5 lbs and that was with counting cals and working out. I came off it a couple of weeks ago and the weight is gone now.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am on Sprintec, and I haven't had any problems. It has been my favorite birth control pill so far. Some of the others I tried made me feel nauseous all the time, but this one hasn't. So glad about that! If it's caused any weight gain then it's been minimal. Good luck to you!
  • linzicole
    Options
    My workout friend and i are both on sprintec. we workout 4 days a week..hardcore...we watch what we eat and we are not seeing any results. we think its the hormones in the sprintec :(
  • kshay0386
    kshay0386 Posts: 1
    Options
    Now I'm at the end of my second month, I count calories and work out 5 days a week (about 60 minutes of cardio each workout). I have gained about 7 lbs now and I'm not pleased. I retain much more water and feel bloated constantly. This is the only prescription I've taken that has caused this weight gain. Yasmin and others are really much better. I will not continue after this month- and I'm glad to hear others are having similar issues.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I used to be on it never noticed anything changed with weight only got off cause it effected my mood horribly
  • LRogers2
    Options
    I just started weel three of this pill and already am seeing weight gain. Granted it is the Holidays and I haven't been eating the greatest, but I have stepped up my workout routine, and will run any where from 5 to 10 Miles three tiimes a week and other carido activities on non-running days along with weight training. I have gained 4 lbs and this is so frustrating to do all of this work and not see any results. I am going to clean up my eating and from there if I am still having problems, I am going to have to talk to my doctor about an alternative. I am taking Sprintec due to endometriosis. I don't want all of the hard work to go down the drain. I am glad to see that I am not the only one having problems with this pill.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My workout friend and i are both on sprintec. we workout 4 days a week..hardcore...we watch what we eat and we are not seeing any results. we think its the hormones in the sprintec :(

I'm on spintec and have a hard time losing. Never thought it was this tho but it could be.
  • conway100111
    Options
    I have been on sprintec for a year, maybe a little more. When I first switched from the Mirena IUD to this I was 145 pounds. Now I am 155 and no matter what I do I cannot get the weight off. I am love exercise and I am addicted too it, plus I eat healthy all the time with the proper protein intake too. So sprintec has made me continuously gain weight, I feel bloated every day and just overall unbalanced.
    Its sad, but you have to try a bunch of different types to actually know which one works for you. Every pill is going to effect you in a different way, do not take our accounts into consideration, you may not have the same experience.

Good luck
  • connnieup
    Options
    I switched from Depo to Sprintec almost two years ago. In the beginning I had some pretty crazy nausea and I gained a few pounds but my weight was still pretty messed up from the monthly shots. Eventually my side effects went away and I actually like it a lot more than any other pill I've been on. I don't seem to have a problem losing weight on it. Like someone mentioned before though, it depends on the individual person. It took me forever to find a good one.
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    Weight gain on birth control is God's way of saying that being on birth control and premarital sex is a sin
  • kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ^um, no. Just no.

Edit: Didn't realize how old this was, but my comment still applies so I'm leaving it.
  • digfromdeep
    Options
    You know, I've been on Sprintec for 7 years and I've been stuck in the same 5-10 lbs. I had suspected that it was the other medicine I was taking but never thought it could be my birth control!
  • effiechristina
    effiechristina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I've been taking sprintec for....oh I don't know...5 years or so, I don't really have side affects from it I think, but I started taking it at 18 or so, so I could just no longer realize they are side affects. One thing I've been really curious about though was weight! Not necessarily extreme weight gain, but just inability to lose. Once in my life I got down to 135 (I'm 5'5") and I was happy with this weight! I did it by not eating much of course, so I don't want to repeat that, but it also would have been while I had only been on sprintec for a year at the most.
    Since then I have NEVER been able to get significant weight loss, and I have steadily increased up to 168 :( I've gone to the gym 5-6 days a week for months before, and not seen significant weight loss (yes I looked a little more toned up, but not what I was hoping for). This time I've been running for going on three months, working out, not eating that much fast food, and I haven't lost a single pound...NOT ONE! I feel my leg muscles have increased of course with the running, but I'm not seeing the scale budge or my clothes even feel better fitting. I'm so discouraged, I've been trying to figure out what I could be doing wrong, and I got to wondering if it could be driven by hormones instead of my calorie expenditure. I took enough classes getting my biotechnology degree that I understand things are not as simple as calories in vs. calories out. Not only are different types of calories processed differently, but your bodies "state of mind" is almost just as important, and that includes hormone activity.

So I think I'm going to talk to my doctor, and after 5 years see about switching to something else, worst case I just switch back.
  • taraappl
    Options
    I am beyond happy to find this thread. I have not been on birth control for about 2 years and decided it was time to get back on it. I started taking this 1 month ago and quickly gained 5 pounds. Even if I'm not working out and eating alright, I am always around 118 when I step on the scale in the morning. I'm now 122/123 so the last 2 weeks I've been counting every calorie and I've had a hard core workout every day...... not one pound lost. I've also started taking Prilosec right around the same time I started back up on the bc but I'm almost positive the hormones from the bc is causing this weight gain. I'm also falling out of my bra. I've gone from a 34B to a 34C in the last month. I'm getting off this as soon as my period comes and will just stay off the bc.
  • fitshantelle
    Options
    I have never had trouble losing weight. But since Sprintec, I am struggling horribly! And my PMS is OD!!!!