After a binge...

So I have been doing AWESOME! In fact I lost 9 pounds last month and feel great. Well this weekend I cheated like crazy. Then a very stressful situation arose and I binged even worse today. When I say binge, I'm talking about taking in 3500 calories each day. I feel so disgusting!! There is no way I'll be getting on the scale for probably a week. It's really just so disappointing. I don't like this bloated, full, gassy feeling. I can't stand the fact that my jeans feel tighter already. Freak!!!

How do you get over a binge? I am refusing to fall to old purging habits! I really just want to do this the healthy way. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Just keep going and get back on track. What's done is done and one weekend won't undo your progress of 94lbs (congrats!) lost.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    How much are you eating per day normally?

It's common for people to binge when they aren't taking in enough calories in general.

Congratulations on your 94 pounds lost. Just make sure you aren't under eating. Your goal should be set at "Lose 1/2 lb per week" and you should be eating back any exercise calories 100% at this point in your weight loss.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Yeah i totally feel you. i just have been drinking water and went for a long walk. as the other poster said, just get back on track. :) good luck to you, things will get better.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    I poop and move on.

Seriously. Stop focusing on the past.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Good for you for not purging. I personally have struggled with that, and it's no joke.

Forgive yourself and move on. Two days will not undo all of your progress. 94 pounds lost is amazing!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    How much are you eating per day normally?

It's common for people to binge when they aren't taking in enough calories in general.

Congratulations on your 94 pounds lost. Just make sure you aren't under eating. Your goal should be set at "Lose 1/2 lb per week" and you should be eating back any exercise calories 100% at this point in your weight loss.

Also, ^^this.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    yep, I'm with the others.
    I've had a similar week of 2500-3000cals a day but I'm just going to shelve it and move on. It's just one week where I know I've gained lots of water weight and, maybe, just maybe, I might have a gained a pound or two of fat. I don't know and I can't really care as it will only take one or two good weeks to undo this one week of craziness!

Do check you're eating enough though as the others have said. I was (unintentionally) under by 300 or more calories almost every day in November and, surprise surprise, I went nuts with cravings.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Thanks! I think I've been eating enough. I've cut way down on the empty calories and have noticed that helps me to not binge. I was away on a little vacation so there was A LOT (all) of eating out. I figured I would cheat once a month but just as I suspected, I didn't stop it at that. I think this bloated, yucky feeling is making me feel worse than the amount of calories I've actually consumed. You're all right...just move on. I guess I just need to get over it. It's good to have some reassurance though.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I know I have eaten too much this weekend and now it seems I want to eat all the time. I know I have to want to do the work of change and it is hard. After a couple of days of lighter eating I am back on track.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    I poop and move on.

Seriously. Stop focusing on the past.

lol that comment is so true and funny.

I had a bad couple of weeks recently - most days eating 500-1000 calories above maintenance, mainly brought on my excessive amounts of stress. I dealt with it by accepting that it happened and using it as motivation to start training and eating well again. I didn't beat myself up over it that's for sure.

Just let it go and find your motivation to get back on track and continue working towards your goals. You can't change what has happened in the past, but you are in control of what happens in the future.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Congratulations on 94 pounds lost!

Everybody has more to eat than they know they should. Today is a new day.
  • jbpretty
    You're all right... It happens, move on. This doesn't have to turn into a downward spiral. I have control.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    So I have been doing AWESOME! In fact I lost 9 pounds last month and feel great. Well this weekend I cheated like crazy. Then a very stressful situation arose and I binged even worse today. When I say binge, I'm talking about taking in 3500 calories each day. I feel so disgusting!! There is no way I'll be getting on the scale for probably a week. It's really just so disappointing. I don't like this bloated, full, gassy feeling. I can't stand the fact that my jeans feel tighter already. Freak!!!

How do you get over a binge? I am refusing to fall to old purging habits! I really just want to do this the healthy way. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You've lost 94lb! That's amazing. A few days bingeing after such an enormous loss - that's a speed bump. not a whole road block. Forget purging. Forget regrets :) You binged. You know it. you know what to do - don't just talk about it :) you're so close to your goal! i'm jealous ....
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    I go for a speed walk check my diary for the time of day the binging took place. Do not beat myself up. Start fresh the next day.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    I totally agree with everyone else! Plus, the bloated feeling can be a reminder for the future. ("I'd love to eat that second slice of cheese cake, but I felt so icky last time!"). Good for you for not falling on old, bad habits! Sounds like you've already done enough beating yourself up, so now forgive. You won't be 100% perfect all the time and that's just how it is! Seems like you're doing pretty well on your journey and the big picture is always way more important than a single moment.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    just move on. I have surprised the hell out of myself several times after "bad" weeks when I step on the scale and see a number several pounds lower than I expected. I've learned that a couple days of overage won't kill my progress so there is no point in dwelling.
  • Lawri1
    Lawri1 Posts: 2 Member
    Im so totally with you. My advice is don't give up. I have been binging for a few months since my mother passed in August. I now need to lose 50 lbs instead of 35! You are doing great. I like the going for a walk idea. I used to do that when I felt a binge coming on. It helps a lot.
  • ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!!! You have got this. I struggle every day with wanting to binge and have fallen off the wagon a few times over the past few months BUT I pull out of it quickly. Don't let yourself get caught up in the guilt. Once you are feeling better and are on the right track, try to identify what happened and brainstorms other solutions than binge-ing. I keep a list of activities, tasks, projects or coping mechanisms to help with my stress, which helps avoid some of my binges. You are strong and in control!!
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    I poop and move on.

SO TRUE ...

What I do

1. DRINK A S*** TON OF WATER
    2. take fiber everyday
    3. workout everyday
    4. let it go and move on ...

last week I went over for days! I would say about 3000 calories. I had one day where every meal was deep fried, and every beverage was alcohol! It was rough but I am back on track and feeling a MILLION times better

The fact that you never want to go back to that and see how it is affecting your body and how you feel is a great accomplishment ... some people just don't care.

50540473.png
  • jbpretty
    Okay...so today wasn't so good either. TURN IT AROUND WOMAN!!!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU WILL DO THIS!!!!!!!