Anyone using Polar FT7 to help weight loss?

Options
Just got myself a Polar FT7 to check my calories burnt at gym and treadmill running. Started using it on 7Dec2013 Sat. My gym instructress' rule is to burn 500 calories at each gym workout session. Didn't know how hard it is to burn off 500 calories - and realise that all the workout sessions I have in the past years have merely been a 'going-through-the-motion' process though with some sweats. No wonder I have not been losing weight despite the number of workouts ...Hope Polar FT7 will be of some help to shed the kilos away. Anyone here has also been using Polar FT7? Would love to hear about your experiences:)

Replies

• jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it. It was recommended to me by my trainer. However, when I went to a running store to get new running shoes, they say it's not so good and they stopped selling it because it interferes with other counters. I'm not sure which one to get at this point. According to the running store people - and this may be wrong - they say none of them are that accurate or reliable.

As for going to the gym, I find that the elliptical and/or arc trainer machines burn much more than the bike and treadmill (unless you're running on treadmill). I've also found out that you're supposed to have your heart rate in a particular range (my trainer told me but I'm sure you could find your range through some calculator online), and if I'm over my range, I'm burning muscle instead of fat. I also found out recently that I should do weight training before cardio on the days I lift weights. This helps your body to burn fat more efficiently. I've been doing it backwards!

I'm not expert and I'm sure maybe others have different information, but this is what I've learned so far.
  • TupeloGirlee
    Options
    Yes, I have the Polar FT7 and I love it!! Just remember that you would probably burn about 80 calories per hour if you did nothing at all. So, you might want to subtract that from your overall calories burned if you are counting calories. The one thing I found out is that the equipment a the gym was pretty accurate at determining my heart rate and calories burned. But I also found that watching those calories burned number go UP made me want to work harder!! Have fun!!!
  • anne4629
    Options
    Thank you jensiegel39 for your insightful feedback - will take your advice with regard to training programme. Was also told by gym instructress not to go beyond 1hr 30min of exercise at one sitting or we'd be burning muscle instead of fats as well.
  • anne4629
    Options
    You're absolutely right TupeloGirlee - watching the calories counter building up in the gym does help motivate me to go the extra mile:) Thank you for your message:)