Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Glycogen/water
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear - especially with weight training, you will see gains sometimes as your body adjusts, and then you might see a bunch of weight come off, and then gain a bit back, etc. You have to give it time - at least a week or two. Aim for long term trends, not a day at a time because it will drive you crazy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. You are gaining because you are eating more.
    wrong. nobody gains weight at 1100-1200 calories. unless they have actually really damaged their metabolism...which I don't think any of us on here know enough to say with any confidence whether she has or not.

It's been two days, and the gain is likely from the additional food in her stomach. That's not to say she's putting on fat from eating too many calories. I don't think anyone is saying that.
    well how much does everyone think an extra 2-300 calories really weighs?? lol
    not enough to show up on a scale would be my guess.

2-300 calories of cucumbers is a lot of cucumbers! But yeah, I agree with everyone else that says a 2 pound difference in 2 days could be anything. My weight can vary 3 pounds from the beginning to the end of the day.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. You are gaining because you are eating more.
    Unlikely...

You're most likely showing a 'gain' on the scale because you started strength training just a week ago. Muscles retain water to repair themselves. Stop weighing yourself everyday (if it freaks out out and you jump to conclusions). Give these changes a little time to start to work in your favor on the scale....

patience_grasshopper_mug.jpg?side=Back&height=160&width=160&padToSquare=true
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Also, after reading through a post from Friday, OP. You need to get a handle on binges. Perhaps you could try TDEE -20%, rather than this mindset that you have to eat next to nothing to lose weight. It would give you more freedom in you need to still enjoy things you like without derailing your efforts. Losing weight doesn't have to be miserable. Find a method that's sustainable long term ans commit 100%. You will get there. Be patient. And for your sanity, weigh once a week, same time. I always weigh morning with no clothes, once a week.
  • arianamzai
    Options
    ...for the last two days I've increased my caloric intake to about 1100-1200 and I started gaining weight. It's all good/healthy food so I don't understand it....By the way, i'm 19, 5'10, trying to lose 100 lbs.

If you are 100 pounds overweight, you would be losing on 1200 calories per day. If you aren't losing, then you're eating more than you think.
    sorry to be commenting so much lol, but I also thought I should point out that wanting to lose 100 lbs isn't necessarily the same thing as being 100 pounds overweight (by bmi standards). It could be, but her goal could also be in the lower end of the healthy range, in which case she probably isn't 100 pounds past the bmi marker for "overweight" and judging by her picture, I'd say that's most likely the case!

I'm not 100 pounds overweight...you're right, I just want to be on the lower side of what's recommended for my height. I don't look overweight in my photo because the weight is distributed pretty evenly throughout my body because i'm tall
  • arianamzai
    Options
    Hey everyone. So last week I began strength training for the first time and was eating about 800-1000 net calories...I know that's totally awful but I don't do it on purpose.

So I did some research and found out I'm not eating enough...for the last two days I've increased my caloric intake to about 1100-1200 and I started gaining weight. It's all good/healthy food so I don't understand it. :-(
    Will I continue to gain weight or is my body just adjusting itself and recovering from being in starvation mode for so long?? And if that's the case, when can I expect to start losing again? I'm not really sure how much I should be eating.

By the way, i'm 19, 5'10, trying to lose 100 lbs.

Thank you for the clarification.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I'll clear some things up: a) I am 100% honest with my food intake and measure everything...you can take a look at my journal if you'd like because i opened it. b) i usually check MFP at the end of my day so I notice my caloric intake too late into the night..i've changed that since the past two days though c) i don't look overweight in my photo because i'm tall and my weight is distributed pretty well; also i want to be lower on the recommended weight for my height

i think as most of you said i need to take a week or two to let my body adjust, so i'll stop weighing myself until next monday
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I'll clear some things up: a) I am 100% honest with my food intake and measure everything...you can take a look at my journal if you'd like because i opened it. b) i usually check MFP at the end of my day so I notice my caloric intake too late into the night..i've changed that since the past two days though c) i don't look overweight in my photo because i'm tall and my weight is distributed pretty well; also i want to be lower on the recommended weight for my height

i think as most of you said i need to take a week or two to let my body adjust, so i'll stop weighing myself until next monday

k but weighing and measuring are two different things...

Buy a kitchen scale for your food...you will be surprised at the difference between 1/2 c of pineapple and lets say 25g....

As for your goals...remember the scale really means nothing...I am 5 ft 7 and currently weigh 164lbs but in my profile pic the dress is a size small....and people think I weigh 130....esp if you are lifting...you will see inches go and the weight not move (and no that is not because of muscle gains)....you will lose fat and your muscles will retain water for repair.

ETA: I lift 3x a week (Mon/Wed/Fri)and have found that the only day I can weigh myself and get an accuate read is on a Monday morning 2.5 days after my last lift and prior to starting the new weeks lifting, otherwise I either see weight gain or the scale not moving...
  • michaelsontag
    Options
    I am going to make an assumption that some others are not. I am going to assume you are NOT an idiot, but rather an intelligent woman, who knows what she is doing...

My guess is that you are finally eating the calories your body is needing to start building the muscle your body wants to build because (as you said) you have been doing strength training. Follow what some of the others have said. Follow for a week and see how the equation balances.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am going to make an assumption that some others are not. I am going to assume you are NOT an idiot, but rather an intelligent woman, who knows what she is doing...

My guess is that you are finally eating the calories your body is needing to start building the muscle your body wants to build because (as you said) you have been doing strength training. Follow what some of the others have said. Follow for a week and see how the equation balances.

No way in He!! is she building any measurable amount of muscle in 2 days in a caloric deficit. Takes a caloric surplus and weeks or months to build 2 lbs of muscle.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

While I still don't think this is fat gain (though I still question the long history of, "I have trouble logging/binge eating" posts), this is not muscle. It takes a SURPLUS of calories to grow muscle. Even the magical "noobie gains" often mentioned wouldn't be more than a pound of muscle... tops. And that'd be difficult to achieve on such a deficit, anyway.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are finally eating the calories your body is needing to start building the muscle your body wants to build because (as you said) you have been doing strength training.

That is ridiculous. Adding muscle mass is *hard* under the best of circumstances, and these aren't the best of circumstances. The idea that she's added measurable quantities of muscle in such a short time, under a caloric deficit, is ludicrous.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    103lbs at 5ft10 would be extremely underweight #justsaying

To be honest your food diary looks pretty good to me, just keep with what youre doing, do some exercise you enjoy, dont starve yourself and the rest will come :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are finally eating the calories your body is needing to start building the muscle your body wants to build because (as you said) you have been doing strength training.

That is ridiculous. Adding muscle mass is *hard* under the best of circumstances, and these aren't the best of circumstances. The idea that she's added measurable quantities of muscle in such a short time, under a caloric deficit, is ludicrous.

And yes, that is absolutely ludicrous.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, I took the time to read through the last 2-3 weeks. I'm glad to see you've been logging.

I don't see too much strength training logged? You mentioned that you're doing that, which can easily add WEEKS of water retention as your body gets accustomed to the movements/repair/recovery.

Your calories burned seem a little... off? What do you use to track? A 20 minute run for 200 calories seems at odds with a 60 minute run for 400 calories, for instance.

You also haven't actually been eating 1100-1200 most days? I still see several days of eating under that, and as a whole, netting 1200 or lower (I'm being generous saying 1200; you seem to net an average of 1000 everyday still).

If you're truly amping up the exercise, I'm guessing this is water retention; retention that may be more stubborn as your body doesn't have much to use to repair itself.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Op, if you open your diary we might be able to give more concrete advice.

Sounds like your body is adjusting to the muscle building and/or new diet.. Probably water weight. Don't stress.. this stuff takes time.
  • arianamzai
    Options
    OP, I took the time to read through the last 2-3 weeks. I'm glad to see you've been logging.

I don't see too much strength training logged? You mentioned that you're doing that, which can easily add WEEKS of water retention as your body gets accustomed to the movements/repair/recovery.

Your calories burned seem a little... off? What do you use to track? A 20 minute run for 200 calories seems at odds with a 60 minute run for 400 calories, for instance.

You also haven't actually been eating 1100-1200 most days? I still see several days of eating under that, and as a whole, netting 1200 or lower (I'm being generous saying 1200; you seem to net an average of 1000 everyday still).

If you're truly amping up the exercise, I'm guessing this is water retention; retention that may be more stubborn as your body doesn't have much to use to repair itself.

Hey...even with the occasional binge eating i still log it all in so it's not like it goes unaccounted...
    Also I don't log my strength training on mfp, I do it in a notebook but thanks for the heads up on water retention :-)
    And yeah as I said, aside from these past two days i've been netting at about 800 calories....i started logging my intake earlier on in the day so I can make sure I get enough food before I sleep
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Exactly what I think after looking through her diary. Those exercise calorie seem a bit high and off.
  • arianamzai
    Options

Exactly what I think after looking through her diary. Those exercise calorie seem a bit high and off.

i record my runs outdoors under the same title as when i go on a tredmill...the 200 calories in 20 minutes is from running outdoors with a heart rate monitor whereas the 400 in 60 minutes is what the tredmill calculates