does eating flax seed cause upset stomach

Options
Thinking about adding Flax seed to my diet. Cannot do Omega 3 and don't want to do the flax seed oil supplements so wondering if the actual ground flax seed causes the stomach and GI upsets that I read about. And if it does, does it go away?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by stomach upset? Vomiting? Pain? Or just loose stool? The latter is possible as flax seeds release oils when wet (eg in your bowel) and coat faeces in said oil.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    flax seed or fiber can do that I cut down dosage 25% first few days 50% etc and so my system adjusted and I was fine
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Every 3 months I eat flaxseed every night for a whole months for a couple of years (I don't like to overuse any `supliments`). They actually make my stomach less upset. No problems with the stool.
    I use 1-2 teaspoons a day, in function of what I can get in that day. I don't like to over-do-it, because I have other sources of fibers in my diet.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    loose stools I can handle, diarreha I can't, I also don't want nausea and bloating. Thats what I am wondering about. I read some articles online that talked about those symptoms (along with belching, gas and stomach pain) being common. I wanted to ask someone who actually uses it before I trusted an internet article.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I mix it into meatloaf, homemade breads, spaghetti sauce, sprinkle it on salads, anywhere I can hide it. Haven't noticed any ill effects, not sure it helps either though.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I love flax! I got flax on flax on flax.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have a tablespoon everyday. It doesn't bother my stomach.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I have around a tablespoon with yogurt every day. Sometimes more. It never hurts my stomach. I love it!
  • triciag_81
    triciag_81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put 1/2 tablespoon in my smoothies every morning and it keeps me full longer and I have had zero negative side effects as you mentioned. Give it a try but start small.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 Tbs in a smoothie every day. You may want to start with only 1 Tbs - depending on your current weight. If you have a Costco available to you, they carry a great bag of it already ground up.

It does not effect my stomach at all.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I usually put 1-2 tbsp milled flax seed in my shake every morning.... Never had any issues and I have a VERY sensitive stomach...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whole flax seeds can cause problems, but ground flax shouldn't be an issue unless you are taking in outrageous amounts.
  • girlflw
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, flax seed can cause stomach pain and nausea after meals. I would suggest starting with a small dosages and increase it accordingly. I was throwing a small scoop on my smoothie and it caused me to have severe stomach pain, and whatever I ate I had to vomit. I then started to decrease the use. I just throw one spoon on my smoothie instead of a small scoop (2 spoons). I also do throw a spoon of flaxseed on everything I cook. But depending on your system it does cause GI.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Thinking about adding Flax seed to my diet. Cannot do Omega 3 and don't want to do the flax seed oil supplements so wondering if the actual ground flax seed causes the stomach and GI upsets that I read about. And if it does, does it go away?

I love flax seed. It doesn't upset my stomach.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I make flax crackers and get super super bloated and it takes about three days to go away. I love flax crackers but I avoid them. :(
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It gave me a horrible IBS episode once when I ate it with greek yogurt. But then again, I have IBS. Test the waters and start small.
  • flakypuff8777
    Options
    I was having a tablespoon a day then went a week without it. Once I started again and had stomach pain about 30 mins afterwards.
  • KaiserNiner
    KaiserNiner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love flax! I got flax on flax on flax.

Lol :)

Also, you're using whole flax seed or ground? I'm assuming ground.

Chuck a tablespoon into half a glass of water.

You'll see it's super absorbent.

You need drink a decent quantity of water with it.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It can it has a lot of fiber in it.