Why only 45 grams of protein?

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP, and I have a quick question: Why do we only get 45 grams of protein? At least, that's the amount allotted per my weight/height/goals, etc.

I can manage to stay within my calories and fat and carbs, but man oh man is it hard to eat less than 45 grams of protein! I end up eating WELL under my 1200 calories, not on purpose, but because if I add anything else, I'll have gone over my protein allowance.

Isn't protein supposed to be good for dieting (fills you up, takes longer for the body to digest, etc.) Why don't we get more?

Thanks!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP, and I have a quick question: Why do we only get 45 grams of protein? At least, that's the amount allotted per my weight/height/goals, etc.

I can manage to stay within my calories and fat and carbs, but man oh man is it hard to eat less than 45 grams of protein! I end up eating WELL under my 1200 calories, not on purpose, but because if I add anything else, I'll have gone over my protein allowance.

Isn't protein supposed to be good for dieting (fills you up, takes longer for the body to digest, etc.) Why don't we get more?

Thanks!

Ignore the protein number when it turns red. Eat as much protein as you want. Also, you can change your macro percentages under "Goals" if you don't like seeing the red number. Focus on eating at least 1200 calories. Eating less isn't recommended.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When it comes to things like protein, vitamins, etc, MFP goes with RDAs (recommended daily allowances) and doesn't get any more specific than that. As long as you don't have any kidney issues, feel free to go well over that protein goal.

P.S. You can go in and customize your goals if you know you'd rather get a certain # of grams or percentage of daily calories. For instance, many folks go with the "standard" macro percentages of 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 175g for 1400 calories (also 175g for 2400 calories) and am happy to go over that.

The general consensus seems to be protein levels are set far too low.

Protein seems to be fairly important when losing weight in helping make sure you lose fat rather than muscle.
    Of course, doing some weights will help even more.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    For things like protein it's more 'get at least this amount', rather than 'don't get any more than this'.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Either change your % goal, or use the protein as a minimum and the carbs as a maximum.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Protein in excess is actually really bad for you. If your goal is weight loss only I would go ahead and change it in your preferences, however, if health is also a priority I would strive for lower protein consumption.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My dr said not to worry what mfp says and to have a min of 70g everyday.... more on days I exercise
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein in excess is actually really bad for you. If your goal is weight loss only I would go ahead and change it in your preferences, however, if health is also a priority I would strive for lower protein consumption.

What? Please provide references for such a wild claim.

Protein, at least up to 2 grams per Kg body weight is beneficial for muscle retention and building. MFP defaults to 15%, which is fine as a min for someone that doesn't exercise, if you exercise your min should be even higher than what MFP states.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You can easily change the percentages to what works best for you.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would recommend at least doubling that protein goal if i were you.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

please share more info on this..i do high protein/fat diet and low carbs...all my bloodwork is great as well as being healthy in general. I have been eating like this for about 6 years now. I thought a ton of protein was only not a good idea if one has kidney issues? You have sparked my interest as I don't want to damage my body..
  • pianochick5254
    Options

What? Please provide references for such a wild claim.

Protein, at least up to 2 grams per Kg body weight is beneficial for muscle retention and building. MFP defaults to 15%, which is fine as a min for someone that doesn't exercise, if you exercise your min should be even higher than what MFP states.

Not looking for a fight here...this is what I was told when I was pregnant (my nutritionist said not to consume more than 55 grams a day) and what my research has pulled up. Here are a few sites that mention it plus you have to consider that Dr. Ornish and Dr. Esselstyn (sp?) are VERY well established in the medical community for their impressive studies and reversal of diseases using low fat, low protein diets.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/three-problems-associated-much-protein-intake-6546.html
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20000425/protein-popularity

There is a chart about halfway down this page that says how much people should eat..

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

Yes people should eat protein, but not as much as people are actually eating. If you eat dairy, meat, or eggs at each meal, you are probably consuming too much.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's a minimum, not a maximum. And MFP sets both protein and fiber way low.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Protein in excess would have to be 400-500g of protein, depending on how small a person is. 0.8g/kg of bodyweight is a MINIMUM intake, less than that and you simply aren't getting enough to meet basic needs. Kidney issues are only a concern with people who already are having kidney problems and are on dialysis, not the average healthy Jane/Joe.
  • noiradle
    Options
    Eat all the protein you can. Especially while dieting to combat muscle loss.

As far as all the silly myths about protein, they're myths. Not some, not most, but ALL of the strongest, fittest and healthiest people in the world take in amounts of protein you wouldn't believe. Put it this way, you're not going to accidentally eat an unsafe amount of protein. Hell, you won't even be able to eat an unsafe amount of protein without going thousands over your calorie budget.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The protein goals MFP gives you are meant for someone who is sedentary or engages in moderate intensity cardio only and should be regarded as a bare minimum. If you engage in any form of higher intensity exercise you will need more.
  • lyndsaywvu
    lyndsaywvu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard this for years. Too much protein is toxic and that protein is used as a weight gainer, so why UP your protein if you're trying to lose weight? Seems counter-productive?

http://www.medicinenet.com/how_much_dietary_protein_to_consume/views.htm
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The references in the cdc chart suggest 10-35% for females. Based on a 1,500 cal a day allotment I then should be consuming 38-130g of protein per day. I tend to be in the 90-100 range most days (which equates to approximately 25%) - this echoes the comment from above - pretty much doubling the "recommended".

Look at it as a minimum number, if you are concerned with your protein intake - speak with a doctor or a nutritionist.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your macros using a "% of calories" approach.

this is not really correct.

your protein macro is a function of Lean Body Mass, not the number of calories you eat.

set your protein at 1.0g/lb of LBM and try to meet or exceed this number each day.

for example, if you weigh 150lbs and your BF% is 30%, then your protein goal should be 1.0g x (1-0.3) x 150 = 105g.