Heel pain

Okay so I've been running for about 4 months, started with c25k and graduated to 5to10k and have pretty much completed it. I have run three 5k and one 10 k since starting. I've suffered from shin splints and got the right shoes and finally those feel pretty good, so last night I went for a 6 mile run ( which I've been doing about 2-3 times per week for a couple weeks) at the end of my run my heel started hurting so I finished with a slow walk and stretching a little. Today it hurts to put weight on that foot! I know this means time to rest but does anyone have experience with this? Any stretches you could recommend ?

Replies

• When you step on your foot does it feel like you're stepping on tacks?

You could have plantar fasciitis or it could be something completely different. You really should go to a podiatrist and have a professional diagnose it because if it IS plantar fasciitis that's not something you want to fool around with. My husband had it and it took over a year for it to "heal". Even now it flares up on him sometimes.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Like you said, first start with resting it. If the pain hasn't stopped within a few days, go see a doctor. If the pain does go away but comes back after another long-ish run, go see a doctor. Don't let an injury set back your fitness. Get it check out, get it healed.
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    No feeling like stepping on tacks, just in the heel. I plan to rest it and take ibuprofen if no improvement I'll go to the doc, just can't figure out why all of the sudden it hurts- I didn't increase or change anything.
    Thank you for your help!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    It does sound a lot like PF, but I'm not in a position to diagnose, so go see a doctor. I have PF and it hurts like a MFer! Reminds me that I need to get in to see a podiatrist cuz mine's been flared up for about 3 months now. Good luck!
  • Lorinda40
    Lorinda40 Posts: 20 Member
    I had suffered with PF for almost two years. Nothing worked until I had the surgery. A partial PF release of the tendon. I had that done this past June 13. I am now pain free for the first time in all that time. Soo thankful that it's finally resolved. There are lots of things you can try to alleviate and heal it. But I really recommend seeing your Podiatrist first.