Question and tips about Keto diet.

Options
I'm a 21 year old male 5'11 and 190 lbs. I have been trying a keto diet for the last 4 days and already lost a few pounds. Here's my problem: I just started using the fitness pal tracker today. I have my macros set to fat-45% protein-45% carbs-10%. Todays food will consist of lunch: 2 bacon jr cheese burgers just the burger, cheese and bacon chopped up on a side salad. Dinner will be 4 eggs scrambled with 2 pieces of sharp cheddar, hand full of mushrooms, 3 thick cut slices of back and four sausage links. This puts my calories over by like 700 which I understand is not that big of a deal. The problem is even with all that food my carbs are under by 44 my fat is under by 22 and my protein is under by 166. What can I do? HELP?!!

Replies

• mo7882
    mo7882 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can either eat 700 calories less or workout for an hour.

Its better to go under your carb limit than to go over so you dont need to worry abouyt that - its almost impossible to eat exacltly the % of your goal everyday.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Im not understanding the issue here. You say you are over on calories, but under on carbs, protein and fat. How is that mathematically possible? Fats are 9 cal per gram, protein 4 cal per gram and carb 4 cal per gram. I recommend you check your food entries data for accuracy.

I'm doing keto as well. my macronutrient ratios are about 10% carb, 20 % protein and 70% fat.

Good luck.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    When you first start out, it is often recommended to not even use MFP. Eat what you want (calorie wise) and let your body adjust to these foods. Also, you may be overeating because you are hungry and I would say that is because you aren't eating enough fat. Adjust your fat intake and lower your carbs and protein. If you eat too much protein, your body starts to process it like sugar. I would say you should put your fat% to 70%, protein to 20%, and carbs 5%. Especially the carbs. You want your body to get flushes od them so that you aren't craving them. A lot of folks starting out eat less than 20 carbs a day.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    Also, more more more water. How much water are you drinking? This will also fill you up and help you lose weight with keto. You have to drink half your weight in ounces of water. So I am around 200lbs, I drink 100 oz of water a day
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Perhaps i made an error somewhere but i do not believe so. I will adjust my macros as jgreen0524 suggested. Also any tips for getting your fat where it needs to be? It seems hard to reach that particular percentage. Also can you drink protein drinks on keto? Thanks again guys!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I get the most of my fats from bacon, high fat meat (like ribeye, pork ribs, chicken thighs with skin on, chicken wings, high fat ground beef, pork chops without the fat trimmed off, etc), as well as butter and extra virgin olive oil. Eggs are another great source (both high protein and fat). Try to go for the "brown" meat when eating poultry, like chicken thigh instead of chicken breast, and with the skin on - crispy skin tastes so good too, yum! Another great source and cost effective healthy fat is frying frozen vegetables in butter or extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. You can get bags of frozen veg (like broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale, etc) for a pretty good price in comparison to the fresh (and frozen veg have most of their nutrients preserved, so no fear of loss of nutrition). For example, if you use several tablespoons of butter or olive oil to fry frozen veg, you will see that you can get a lot of fat grams into your diet - and with the additional benefit of adding healthy vegetables that are low in sugar/carbs! Another cost effective and high fat food is frying shredded fresh cabbage in butter. Tastes really good, and fresh cabbage is low cost and real healthy too.

Ever tried "faux" mashed potatoes made with cauliflower? OMG tastes so good. Steam or boil a head of cabbage that has been chopped into pieces. Then put the cooked cauliflower in a food processor and add 1/4 brick of Philadelphia cream cheese, a few tablespoons of butter and a few tables spoons of heavy cream, and grind every thing down to form a mash. Add salt and pepper to taste. I love this stuff, for me just as good as mashed potatoes.

Another thing you may want to look into is bullet proof coffee. I don't personally do it, but I know others that do. If you google the term "bullet proof coffee" you will find the recipe. It's a high fat coffee mixture with cream and coconut oil.

On YouTube, there is a young low carb chef named Chef William. His videos are awesome and will give you lots a good ideas for high fat low carb cooking that's easy and delicious. Type "LCHF chef William" in the youtube search and you'll find his videos.

Good luck on your journey.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    I think you can drink protein shakes, you just need to make sure how many carbs and sugars they have. Most "protein" bars are just HUGE bars of sugar. Also, things containing sugar alcohol can still affect your blood sugars and make you not be in ketosis.

On keto, your body is being fueled by fat, so give it the fat you need. I achieve my fat intake by eating fatty meats, cooking everything in butter and oils, butter on everything! When I drink coffee I add a tbsp or two of heavy whipping cream to it. Watch with milk too, because heavy whipping cream is basically the only dairy milk you can drink. There's also unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk and full fat coconut milk that make good options too.

You should check out reddit.com/r/keto for really good advice and tips.

You really just need to not be afraid of fat. :)
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    I think you can drink protein shakes, you just need to make sure how many carbs and sugars they have. Most "protein" bars are just HUGE bars of sugar. Also, things containing sugar alcohol can still affect your blood sugars and make you not be in ketosis.

On keto, your body is being fueled by fat, so give it the fat you need. I achieve my fat intake by eating fatty meats, cooking everything in butter and oils, butter on everything! When I drink coffee I add a tbsp or two of heavy whipping cream to it. Watch with milk too, because heavy whipping cream is basically the only dairy milk you can drink. There's also unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk and full fat coconut milk that make good options too.

You know something...I like my coffe black but this morning I started to bring my heavy whipping cream to work with me. I did not. tomorrow I will though because people keep telling me its great for keto. And i'll deff check out r/keto
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You know something...I like my coffe black but this morning I started to bring my heavy whipping cream to work with me. I did not. tomorrow I will though because people keep telling me its great for keto. And i'll deff check out r/keto

Two words: Bulletproof Coffee
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Options
    Or bulletproof tea, if you like.
    I drink mine with 1-2 tbsp coconut oil and a splash of cream.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump