When breastfeeding?

Options
MyFitnessPal tells me that I should eat 1200 calories a day to reach my goals. Can anyone tell me how much I should add to that due to the fact that I am breastfeeding?

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    At least 500, maybe more. Let me look something up.....
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Here's the address for a blog I found

http://nutritionbyeve.wordpress.com/

You need approximately 500 extra calories, and you don't want to cut your calories too drastically or you may loose quality or quantity in your milk supply.
  • snowglassapples
    snowglassapples Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    when adding food if you type in 'breastfeeding' you get a selection of options, pick 'breastfeeding mom' and you get an extra 500 cals :0)
    also anything with oats is good for your supply! hope that helps!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    But unfortunatelly, breastfeeding does not actually make you lose 500kcal a day (as "they" like to advertise)

Sorry to put a dumper on this - but I haven't lost ANY weght while I was breastfeeding. (I didn't gain any though, at least that's a good thing)
  • snowglassapples
    snowglassapples Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    true you dont lose the weight but you need it to feed your baby, i tried just the 1260 cals i was allowed and my supply dipped and my baby got stressed.
    im losing an avarage of 2lbs a week at the mo following mfp with the extra 500cals! (but im also walking a lot with my baby in the sling :D)
  • monibee
    monibee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your QUALITY will never be compromised by your calorie intake, just the quantity. Your body is putting your breastmilk as top priority so don't go too low or you won't be getting the nutrition that you need. Your body will deplete your vitamin and mineral stores in your body if you drop too much too quickly. If you notice your baby eating more often or crying after a feeding, you do not have enough milk.

Definitely add 500 calories to whatever fitnesspal recommends. I know we're all anxious to lose the baby weight, but you need to prioritize your milk supply.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Do you add that to every meal or what??
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on the calories while breastfeeding. If you are losing weight while you're breastfeeding, you are eating too little. I know a lot of mom's like that because they're losing the "baby weight" but your body put on the extra weight for a reason. You need it right now. An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight. Since the recommended added calories during the last two trimesters of pregnancy is 300 calories/day, an exclusively breastfeeding mother will typically need either the same amount of calories she was getting at the end of pregnancy, or up to 200 additional calories per day. That's the equivalent of adding 1-2 healthy snacks per day.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Don't skimp on the calories while breastfeeding. If you are losing weight while you're breastfeeding, you are eating too little. I know a lot of mom's like that because they're losing the "baby weight" but your body put on the extra weight for a reason. You need it right now. An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight. Since the recommended added calories during the last two trimesters of pregnancy is 300 calories/day, an exclusively breastfeeding mother will typically need either the same amount of calories she was getting at the end of pregnancy, or up to 200 additional calories per day. That's the equivalent of adding 1-2 healthy snacks per day.

What if I exclusively pump only 4 times per day for 30 minutes at a time? Does it still work the same?
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Pumping your breast milk works similar. When you're breastfeeding all day, everyday you'll need more calories than someone who is exclusively pumping their breast milk less often. Start on the lower end of the extra 300-500 calories, and adjust from there.
  • wife2mikejh
    Options
    I breastfeed but my calorie intake is higher than yours. Our goals are different I'm sure. I haven't lost much weight while still bfing. When you BF your body sometimes holds onto extra fat stores. Many women loose weight when they stop bfing. (5-10lbs) That doesn't mean to quit though! You are doing the best thing possible for your baby and your body! I am an extended breastfeeder as my baby is almost 19 months old. We are going to self wean. You are doing a wonderful thing for your child!