Rice

Options
laura4028
laura4028 Posts: 6 Member
Hello!

I am just wondering what type of rice is best for a low cal diet.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• LadyRavenSA
    Options
    My dietician always told me that all rices are equal, and to just use whichever one I prefer.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Basmati has the lowest GI of all rice. Brown rice has more nutrients and fibre than white. I eat brown basmati as it keeps you full longer, has more fibre and is more nutritious, plus it it tasty!
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Basmati has the lowest GI of all rice. Brown rice has more nutrients and fibre than white. I eat brown basmati as it keeps you full longer, has more fibre and is more nutritious, plus it it tasty!

Yeah, I'd go for brown basmati too.
  • kyuubi08
    kyuubi08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    how does jasmine rice compare?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    IMO there are differences in nutritional values in different rices but too little of a difference to be of significant impact. Eat what you prefer.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    IMO there are differences in nutritional values in different rices but too little of a difference to be of significant impact. Eat what you prefer.

+1.Eat the one you enjoy the most.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am just wondering what type of rice is best for a low cal diet.

Thanks in advance :)

When it comes to rice you probably are best off to decide what you like, because the difference including brown rice in calories, nutrients and fiber are so insignificant that it really makes no difference.
    I usually chose a Indian pre-boiled ( which is not the same as pre-cooked fast rice ) rice, because this process makes vitamins and minerals more available to the body. But as I said it's a personal preference, because the differences are just to small to make a real difference.
    Also, if you want a low cal diet you need to eat less calories, which in return means that it is your decision if you want to spend the somewhat significant calories all rice has. I do every couple of weeks even so I eat 1200 calories, because I love rice and find it very satisfying and because Indian or Asian food is just not the same without it....:o).
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I prefer quinoa as a rice substitute. Its a slightly different texture, its finer, but has way more nutrients, fiber, protein than even brown rice, and I like the flavor better too.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I prefer quinoa as a rice substitute. Its a slightly different texture, its finer, but has way more nutrients, fiber, protein than even brown rice, and I like the flavor better too.

This! : but I lost 42lbs on White/Brown Rice
  • panda_butt
    panda_butt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you want to skip all the carbs in rice, you could always make cauliflower rice! :)http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626071845/another-simpler-version-of-cauliflower-rice
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, white rice is just brown rice that is stripped of its "nutrients" so it will ultimately have fewer calories. I would suggest that, so long as you meet your macro-micro nutrients for the week, then pick whichever rice you find at the store with the fewest calories.

I use uncle ben's microwave brown rice packets. It's 80 calories per serving and fille me up very well.