Does intermittent fasting really work?

Options
I was just trying to see if there was anythone out there that has had sucess with intermittent fasting. If so how does it work best for you? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does it work for what?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you find a form that works for you, stick to it, and keep an eye on the calories you consume (it can't be an eating free-for-all), yes, it works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it fits your lifestyle, then it works. It won't provide any improved results over conventional eating as calories will be the same either way.

It doesn't work for me.. i don't do well working out while fasted.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    eat less move more doesn't matter when you eat. Do what works for you
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you find a form that works for you, stick to it, and keep an eye on the calories you consume (it can't be an eating free-for-all), yes, it works.

+1
    That sums it up nicely!

OP - what are you hoping to get out of it?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that intermittent fasting woks for me, not as much to lose weight, but to control my hunger. knowing that i had dinner last night and i can't eat until 12pm for me is a matter of will power, and a way to control hunger issues.

also, i don't want to be counting calories forever.
  • datleprechaun
    Options
    I've found that it does work, I know many people who find the same. I actually feel better IF tbh. Either way try it out, only way to see for yourself. :)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    For me it does, but I don't do it intentionally. I'm on a LCHF (low carb high fat) diet which provides satiety. I don't feel hungry and therefore I can skip a meal very easily. The only issue was convincing myself that it was ok to not eat when not hungry - it was tattooed into my head that I "had" to eat every couple of hours. Once I got over that paradigm shift, everything was cool.
  • I actually learned about it as part of my Nutrition for Health and Performance class in college. It works for losing weight only because if you are limiting the amount of hrs you can eat during the day (i.e. 8am-8pm) it is much more likely that you'll eat less calories. Although, you can easily not lose weight by not tracking what you're eating. Something interesting though, there have been studies that show that short-term intermittent fast (like 12 hr windows) can help lengthen your life. I wish I had sources I could provide for you, but I just have my notes from the class! :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    16/8 intermittent fasting works really well for me. I'll be frank and admit that I don't know why it works -- I fell into it because I'm not a breakfast person but I love a big dinner and some wine in the evenings -- but I lose much faster eating this way than I do eating the same calories and foods on a more "normal" meal pattern.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If it creates a calorie deficit over time, it'll work.

If you still eat more over time than you burn, you'll not lose weight.

So if it's the most convenient way for you to achieve a calorie deficit, go for it. If it will be difficult and tiresome for you, then there are other ways.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My sister's boyfriend did it and he lost a ton of weight. He eats really low fat foods due to a medical condition. I think he ate everyday within a 6 or 8 (I can't remember which) time span. He also works out a lot.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If it fits your lifestyle, then it works. It won't provide any improved results over conventional eating as calories will be the same either way.

This!^
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It worked beautifully for me. I did alternate day fasting through most of my loss, and I'm maintaining with 5:2.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES IT DOES!
    and the groups here are very good
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well, if in the longer run you end up at a caloric deficit then yes. Doesn't matter how you chuck and jive through the myriad of diets and exercises, it all comes down to this.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Calories are actually not the same " either way ". I do 5:2 fasting on two days a week. I usually eat 1200 calories ( the correct amount because of my age, the fact that I am barely 5' tall and that I have no thyroid ) but on my fast days I only eat 500 calories. That is a weekly difference of 1400 calories ( worth almost .5 pound), which I consider to be significant under the circumstances. I am set up to lose .5 pounds a week and have lost since the middle of April 45 pounds, which is just under 2 pounds a week. I would say ; Yes, intermittent fasting works for me as it does for several people on my FL.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Calories are actually not the same " either way ". I do 5:2 fasting on two days a week. I usually eat 1200 calories ( the correct amount because of my age, the fact that I am barely 5' tall and that I have no thyroid ) but on my fast days I only eat 500 calories. That is a weekly difference of 1400 calories ( worth almost .5 pound), which I consider to be significant under the circumstances. I am set up to lose .5 pounds a week and have lost since the middle of April 45 pounds, which is just under 2 pounds a week. I would say ; Yes, intermittent fasting works for me as it does for several people on my FL.

With 5:2 you are supposed to do 2 days of 500 and the rest at maintenance. If 1200 is maintenance, cool but if you create a deficit on non fasting days you arent doing the program as designed. With 16:8 fasting (which I tried for a month) you eat the same amount of calories in an eight hour window. Either way I ate 2500 calories.

With that said, regardless of the type of IF you do, if your weekly deficit is large and you are no obese then you risk the chance of increasing muscle loss. While protein and weight training will help mitigate some loss, long term high deficit will have some effects.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It works, but not in some magical sense. Calories in/out still applies as with anything else.

IF is a tool for achieving your goals. I personally like to do 16/8 (leangains style) because I like having larger, more satiating meals. Plus, it is convenient for me to just not eat breakfast.