What foods are high in fat and low in carbs and calories?

Options
On a keto diet and having some trouble with my macros. I keep going over on my calories and under on everything else. My macros are set to protein-20% fat-70% cabs- 5%. So what food are high in fat content but low in carbs and calories? Thanks guys!

Replies

• JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I think you're asking for the impossible since fats have more calories per gram than the other macros. Some fats can be very satiating so one can eat more of them and crave less simple carbs, overall. However, your percentages are going to be tough to meet with 5% carbs. Even the healthy, necessary dietary fats are usually in foods that also contain at least a few carbs- nuts, avocados, etc. I don't think you can eat any of those things or even vegetables at 5% carbs unless you have a significant enough calorie goal to make room for those ratios. Your diet is going to be devoid of fiber and essential vitamins/micronutrients.

eta: I read your previous thread. What is your calorie goal? You should know right now it is mathematically impossible to eat something low in calories but high in fat. With those Keto macros, you won't be eating much volume while counting calories -you'll barely be eating at all that way.

38504214.png
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The whole point of keto is to focus on the percentage of your macros and ignore calories..............

And you meant 20% protein, 70% fat and 10% carbs???? Your ratios don't equal 100%
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The whole point of keto is to focus on the percentage of your macros and ignore calories..............

Even a ketogentic diet requires a calorie deficit.

OP, sorry, but fats are approximately 9 calories per gram while carbs and proteins are roughly 4cal/g.

Try nuts, avocado, fish, eggs, etc. Remember, when doing a ketogenic diet, you're tracking Net Carbs, not overall carbs.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Pure lard.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining the Keto group on MFP.
    Good keto foods: Bacon, eggs, bacon, full fat dairy, Almonds, Macadamia nuts, did I mention Bacon?
  • computercarl
    computercarl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds, Cheese, Bacon.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cheese is awesome. I would also suggest almonds and sunflower seeds. Also, look up "fat bomb" recipes. Those can help you reach your macros.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    On a keto diet and having some trouble with my macros. I keep going over on my calories and under on everything else. My macros are set to protein-20% fat-70% cabs- 5%. So what food are high in fat content but low in carbs and calories? Thanks guys!

Guess what? Assuming no medical reason to limit carbs, if you held protein and cals constant fat loss wouldn't be significantly different even if you ate a lot more carbs vs a keto diet
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

OP, sorry, but fats are approximately 9 calories per gram while carbs and proteins are roughly 4cal/g.

Try nuts, avocado, fish, eggs, etc. Remember, when doing a ketogenic diet, you're tracking Net Carbs, not overall carbs.

Never counted calories when I have done ketogenic diet in the past and lost weight effortlessly eating upwards of 80% fat and 20% protein.................

pretty much ate meat, fat and water because even coffee has trace carbs.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    ]And you meant 20% protein, 70% fat and 10% carbs???? Your ratios don't equal 100%

Yeah sorry 10% carbs. Thanks for the responses guys.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Never counted calories when I have done ketogenic diet in the past and lost weight effortlessly eating upwards of 80% fat and 20% protein.................

Some people who follow a ketogenic diet report decreased appetite. This is what allows them to stay at a deficit. But this isn't true for everyone.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

eta: I read your previous thread. What is your calorie goal? You should know right now it is mathematically impossible to eat something low in calories but high in fat. With those Keto macros, you won't be eating much volume while counting calories -you'll barely be eating at all that way.
    You are correct in that a low calorie/high fat food is pretty much an oxymoron, but I'll disagree about not being able to eat a lot of food with that macro breakdown. It's actually harder to eat that much when you are limiting carbs to what is mostly salad veggies and other green veggies.

I do a once a week carb up, but 6 days a week I stick to 30 or less net carbs. My macros are 60% fat, 30% protein, >10% carbs on those days.

Yesterday my food looked like this:
    breakfast- 3 eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream- 419 cals, 1 carb, 32 fat, 30 protein
    lunch- leftover sausage and peppers, about 8oz , 317cal 9carb 24fat 17protein 2fiber
    dinner- 13oz of London broil steak, 13oz of cauliflower sautéed in olive oil and pesto, some jerk paste and Worcestershire sauce to season the steak- 961cal 21carb 46fat 118protein 12 fiber
    snacks- 1oz of peanuts and 1oz of cheese- 270cal 5carb 23fat 15protein 2fiber

Total for the day: 1,968cals 36 carbs 125fat 180protein 16 fiber, so 20 net carbs. I had a bad eating day- almost 400 cals under my daily goal. This was a lot of food, especially dinner.

edit to add- this ended up being 57% fat, 36% protein, and 7% carbs (but that doesn't subtract out the fiber for net carbs).
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a question, in all seriousness? What are supposed to be the benefits to doing something like this (that, to my mind, seems extremely restrictive in the variety one can eat) instead of just tracking cals and general balanced macros (like a 40/30/30 split)? I really am wondering. And then do you have to eat with this same high fat super low carb for maintenance as well?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Of course you can eat at a caloric deficit without counting calories, but for most people it helps a lot. No matter the name of the diet
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Pure lard.

^
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    There's a young chef on YouTube who has great, simple recipes that will fulfill your LCHF (low carb high fat) needs. Type "chef William LCHF" in the youtube search bar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No such thing as low calorie fat....
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a question, in all seriousness? What are supposed to be the benefits to doing something like this (that, to my mind, seems extremely restrictive in the variety one can eat) instead of just tracking cals and general balanced macros (like a 40/30/30 split)? I really am wondering. And then do you have to eat with this same high fat super low carb for maintenance as well?

You aren't really restricting anything. You just watch your macros. Like some people eat low amounts of fat and protien and eat a lot of carbs. They are restricting too- you hear about not eating butter, or bacon or egg yolks, and eating these tiny portions of meat, so why is that any different? This cuts out the cheap carbs like bread, pasta, sugars, and lets you eat filling, hearty meals with meat, good fats, and quality carbs. I can eat (in moderation- no 2 cup servings, more like 3/4 cup) rice, grits, quinoa, Lentils because their net carbs are pretty low, 20g in 1/2 cup dry that cooks into a giant serving. Pretty much as much as I want of any veggie that grows above ground and the occasional serving of potato or carrot. You just moderate it, like any other plan that has you eating a certain nutritional split.

As far as things working or not- I was eating the same 2300-2400 calorie target I am now, with a 40/30/30 split with 200+ grams of carbs a day. I got nowhere- kept losing the same 4lbs over and over, for months on end. Weighing everything, counting everything I ate, exercising, lifting weights. Finally, I decided cut my carbs back to 50g per day, kept he same calorie count, and the scale and tape measure are moving again. 18lbs in 4 months, slow and steady. Personally I enjoy eating this way. I won't do it forever, once I hit my target I'll start adjusting the carbs up a bit until I find the sweet spot where I can maintain without gaining, but I won't be back on 200+ a day.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    38504214.png

Im really not sure....from what I've read after some research calories are not a huge deal when your doing a keto type diet. What should I aim for calories wise on such a diet?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Uh, what?