I'm not anorexic!!

Options
My names Julie, I'm 5'6 and i weight sadly 70 kg. I'm actually not fat, but i want this fit body with a completely flat stomach so i can wear a bikini without being nervous about that roll of fat. I wanna be 63-65 kg. I've been on this healthy diet for a long time now, but lately my moms been saying that I should be careful because she thinks I'm getting anorexic. But I'm really, really not skinny enough for that. It kinda hurts me, because the last thing i wanna be is anorexic. I started this journey because i felt uncomfortable in my own skin, and i wanted to get rid of the extra fat. I've told her that I'm not anorexic and i am really, really sure about that but then she keeps saying "Thats what they all say, but it end up dangerously" and I just get so upset because I'm scared but I'm still so sure about not being anorexic. I'm tall and I have very wide hips and i have a thick arms and a thick belly. So how am i gonna convince her that I just wanna be fit and healthy and not skinny. My period has also stopped, sadly - which also worries her and me, because i run a lot. I eat like my breakfast, then 2 pieces of fruit and 1-2 crisp bread during lunch and then a okay big portion dinner (I would say so)
So what can i do to make her calm down and what can i do to get my period back and get rid of that extra fat and get a fit body.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your period stopping is worrying and could be a sign that your calories are too low, as well as a number of other medical conditions. Have you seen a doctor about it?
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    losing your period can also be a sign of over-exercising. I had 2 classmates who were on multiple teams in high school and lost their periods. When they stopped so many activities it came back. they weren't super skinny, just really fit.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    How soon did you start running? If you have just ramped up the mileage, that can be a reason for your period to stop. But I agree with Dianne and to go see a doctor to get checked out. If you ramped up your running, then you might be under eating. I would plug your numbers into a TDEE calculator and make sure you are hitting your calorie needs.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Find out how many calories you should be eating (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and start keeping track of your calories. That way you know for sure if your calories are too low. It will also make for a good log for your doctor's visit, which you really should do if your periods stopped as it could be calories or another more serious health issue.

154lbs at 5'6" is not an anorexic low number on most women. If you have some muscle, it can be a very pleasing curvy shape from what I've seen.

For your mum, she's obviously concerned because she loves you and wants the best for you. Once you've done these other proactive things, that might ease her mind a bit. Who knows, she might also appreciate the report of seeing the number of calories you're eating too and that you're trying to take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Edited for poor grammar!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

I thought anorexia had nothing to do with numbers weight wise. I thought you could have the disorder/disease and still be 200 lb.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

I thought anorexia had nothing to do with numbers weight wise. I thought you could have the disorder/disease and still be 200 lb.

No, to be diagnosed with anorexia nervosa you have to be underweight. One of the criteria for anorexia nervosa is a body weight 15% under normal. http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/index.php

You can be overweight and have an eating disorder (lots of people have disordered eating habits), it just cant be anorexia nervosa.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    go to the doctor
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

No, to be diagnosed with anorexia nervosa you have to be underweight. One of the criteria for anorexia nervosa is a body weight 15% under normal. http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/index.php

You can be overweight and have an eating disorder (lots of people have disordered eating habits), it just cant be anorexia nervosa.

ahh thanks I totally didn't understand that 'til now.

I 'know' a woman online who probably falls into that category you describe with an ED, but I just thought she fit the bill of having anorexia nervosa because she eats less than 500 cal per day and is very ill most of the time, no periods, etc. But she still weighs around 200 lb.

Thanks for the clarification!!
  • WakkoW
    Options
    I'm really confused.

ahh thanks I totally didn't understand that 'til now.

I 'know' a woman online who probably falls into that category you describe with an ED, but I just thought she fit the bill of having anorexia nervosa because she eats less than 500 cal per day and is very ill most of the time, no periods, etc. But she still weighs around 200 lb.

Thanks for the clarification!!

She's either lying or in serious denial about how much she eats. Either way, she probably is in need of psychological intervention.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

You are completely wrong and should not be correcting people unless you know you are right. My friend was diagnosed with anorexia and she wasn't skinny. Here is the proper definition

"anorexia
    — n
    1. loss of appetite
    2. Also called: anorexia nervosa a disorder characterized by fear of becoming fat and refusal of food, leading to debility and even death
    "
  • WakkoW
    Options
    I'm really confused.

You are completely wrong and should not be correcting people unless you know you are right. My friend was diagnosed with anorexia and she wasn't skinny. Here is the proper definition

"anorexia
    — n
    1. loss of appetite
    2. Also called: anorexia nervosa a disorder characterized by fear of becoming fat and refusal of food, leading to debility and even death
    "

DSM diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height
    Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though you're underweight
    Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape
    In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis
  • Megislosingit
    Options
    anorexia is a symptom: the loss of appetite

Anorexia Nervosa is the mental heath disorder

Usually those who use the term anorexia as a symptom is a medical professional. When the lay person uses anorexia they usually are talking about the disorder. But all this isn't really related to the main topic
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight really fast (66 lbs in 5 months) back in 2012 and by March I had lost my period completely. It came back in September after I had taken a step back a few months previously and realised I was limiting myself to 1 cherry tomato a day because of their sugar content...!

I couldn't really tell what I was doing until it was "too late". Maybe your mum is just worried because you're very focused, or maybe you're not eating as much as you feel like you're eating? Either way, your period disappearing isn't okay. You should probably try to find out why.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused.

Yes and no. You could have anorexic tendencies, but you're not technically anorexic unless you're dangerously underweight. If you're of average weight or overweight and are behaving in an anorexic manner, you would be classified as EDNOS, or Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My names Julie, I'm 5'6 and i weight sadly 70 kg. I'm actually not fat, but i want this fit body with a completely flat stomach so i My period has also stopped, sadly - which also worries her and me, because i run a lot. I eat like my breakfast, then 2 pieces of fruit and 1-2 crisp bread during lunch and then a okay big portion dinner (I would say so)
    So what can i do to make her calm down and what can i do to get my period back and get rid of that extra fat and get a fit body.

As a Mom I'd be worried too. No period, barely eat anything... doesn't sound too healthy to me.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I think this is a troll...if it is not then no one should give advice as the person needs professional help which no one here should even comment on.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The fact that you eat so little and am in such denial is a little alarming...plus a loss of period is a sure symptopm that you're body is being deprived, whether that be of food, rest or both.
  • JulieeeeJ
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I've already been to the doctor before about my period - he said I didn't have to worry about it. But maybe I should go see the doctor again and ask if i eat enough. But how can i manage to lose the belly fat if I'm not allowed to eat clean and exercise (which are the main reasons for a weight loss?) I don't think I'm fat at all, when i look in the mirror I actually like what i see - the only thing is my belly i wanna change. If i really had anorexia i would probably have said i hated my body but i don't. I'm also bigger than most of my friends, yet i still don't think I'm fat. :-)
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    losing your period can also be a sign of over-exercising. I had 2 classmates who were on multiple teams in high school and lost their periods. When they stopped so many activities it came back. they weren't super skinny, just really fit.

It happened to me, and I was 140 on a 5'4 frame. Overexercising.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mysterious.

keep it simple

be in a deficit (moderate) to lose weight

& see a doctor :)