Not abandoning but is the sparkle lost?

Options
Hello MFP people!

My name is Karyne, I'm almost 25y/o, from Québec, Canada and I'm here to get some of your motivation because I kind of feel like I lost part of mine. Not even ashamed to fich for attention :)

I started using MFP in August and I lost a little over 30 lbs since (Yeah!!) I really like it and even though I'm feeling a little depressed, I keep logging my food and I stick to my trainning schedule (3x/week Crossfit and 3x/week running).

I don't know if it's because i'm gonna be single for the holidays (again...), because it started snowing so early this year or because I learned that I have to find a new appartment by July but I feel so depressed!

Ringht now, my biggest fantasy would be to sell my car and furniture, cash in my investments, pack my bag and travel all around the world until I have no money left. Some of you mught say 'Well just do that!' but I love my job, I love my life, I'm just really not feeling it right now.

Has it ever happened to you? What did you do to go through that rough patch?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOUR CANADIAN!
    WE ALL KICK SOME *kitten*
    SO DO IT!
    BE PROUD OF WHO U ARE!
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Knowing that it is just that "A rough patch" which will pass.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Keep pressing!! You'll be amazing!

How about taking a year's leave of absence, pack up and go. Come back and you'll be refreshed and back at 'er! Your job will be there when you get back!

I've dreamed of getting up and leaving and starting fresh in a new province, but I've got 2 small kids and it's just not easy to do, especially with both sets of their grandparents here (and I'm a sucker - I can't go far from my parents lol)

You gotta do what you gotta do, and sometimes that means making scary decisions.

Whatever you do, you will get through it! Congrats on the 30lbs thus far!!
  • stacks34
    Options
    I think you should move your immediate fantasy to a future plan. So instead of thinking 'I want to go right now' think 'if I still feel this way by summer I will _______'

I know it's a long way off but you end up caught up in the fantasy without having to make a huge and sudden decision that may be a mistake. And it gives you time to evaluate properly.

I love my job but I work so many hours and would like to be at home more. So currently my 'plan' is 'I will stay at my job until next Christmas. Then I will hand in my notice and look for a part time job in the same role somewhere else or ask to cut my hours at work'

This may not happen but the idea of it is keeping me going because it might!
  • indigo827
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Fake it till you make it. ;)
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Fake it till you make it. ;)

Love this quote!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well I can vouch for the 'sell everything and travel the world' option, including the having no money left and now living in a foreign country where I don't speak the language... but I wouldn't recommend it as a 'life-escape' option, more something to plan for and do when you've thought about it and know what you want to achieve from it.

I'd probably be feeling quite depressed if I had so much stressing me out too! It sounds like a rough patch, and I know from experience that rough patches are 50 times worse in winter that always makes it hard.

Hopefully you are doing something nice for Christmas? If so, focus on that for now, or some other positive thing that's coming up. If you don't have something to look forward to then make something. If you are interested in travelling then would it be possible to book a two-week trip somewhere awesome? Like to Barcelona! Or Greece! Stay in a backpackers, meet other travellers, 'practice' for when you make your world trip a reality...

And if all else fails then you, my girl, have lost 30lb since August and that (along with your super personality) makes you a winner, and is something totally awesome that you can look back on and think "*kitten* yeah, I achieved that."

Good luck, and here's some winter love from Germany xo
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Part of the process is sticking with it when it's boring, annoying, painful, etc. Because, at times, it is all of those things. Change things up if you can, like switch up your exercise or exercise schedule, switch up what you're eating...otherwise, just determine that you''re going to stick with it!
  • Chelsey2016
    Chelsey2016 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    This will pass I understand feeling depressed and just wanting to throw your hands up and run away from it all. However, I try to remind myself of all of the blessing that I have in my life and it encourages me to keep moving forward. Times like these can be very challenging but it is really important to realize that it will not last forever. Try to stay motivated and encouraged. You can do this! :)
    Chelsey
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, lost motivation after starting in August...have a good look for it and until then just carry on regardless, you're doing this for at least one reason, remember what it is and how important it is to you!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

I've noticed what appears to be a correlation between too much of a daily calorie deficit and "depression" (or at least "depression-like tendencies").
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think you should move your immediate fantasy to a future plan. So instead of thinking 'I want to go right now' think 'if I still feel this way by summer I will _______'

I know it's a long way off but you end up caught up in the fantasy without having to make a huge and sudden decision that may be a mistake. And it gives you time to evaluate properly.

I love my job but I work so many hours and would like to be at home more. So currently my 'plan' is 'I will stay at my job until next Christmas. Then I will hand in my notice and look for a part time job in the same role somewhere else or ask to cut my hours at work'

This may not happen but the idea of it is keeping me going because it might!

Why not start looking for a part time job now, then hand in your notice when you receive an offer. Unless you want some time to yourself first. But you could always give a start date if you receive a job offer for a part time job.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP people!

My name is Karyne, I'm almost 25y/o, from Québec, Canada and I'm here to get some of your motivation because I kind of feel like I lost part of mine. Not even ashamed to fich for attention :)

I started using MFP in August and I lost a little over 30 lbs since (Yeah!!) I really like it and even though I'm feeling a little depressed, I keep logging my food and I stick to my trainning schedule (3x/week Crossfit and 3x/week running).

I don't know if it's because i'm gonna be single for the holidays (again...), because it started snowing so early this year or because I learned that I have to find a new appartment by July but I feel so depressed!

Ringht now, my biggest fantasy would be to sell my car and furniture, cash in my investments, pack my bag and travel all around the world until I have no money left. Some of you mught say 'Well just do that!' but I love my job, I love my life, I'm just really not feeling it right now.

Has it ever happened to you? What did you do to go through that rough patch?

Yes, it happens to the best of us.

For me because I live in my head and am a total day dreamer, I just tell myself to keep going. While I'm waiting, dreaming, wishing, hoping, and praying I can continue working on me. When the time comes, whenever it decides to come, I should hopefully be ready.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Lady,

When you figure that out... you let me know. This has been a rollercoaster of a year for me. My husband and I lost our business, had to go back to working for other people... filed for bankruptcy... I'm in a job I like but its just a J-O-B to pay the B-I-L-L-S and I have no idea what's next for me... and what its gonna take to get that spark back in life. That's why I'm just pushing through continuing to try to lose this weight hoping when I lose the lbs I'll lose the sad/inadequate feelings along with it. I think we all find our rightful place in the world eventually if we keep our eyes open and are willing to see it when it comes.

Good luck and keep your head up.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I get this. Totes magotes. I feel like a lot of people hit mid-20s and sort of tweak out about where they're going in life, is this all there is, what is the meaning of life, I want to be a hippie in a comune, etc :flowerforyou: I get bored easily and also slip into disenchantment with what I'm doing. My tip is to keep things fresh. Find a new class to take. Get out of your comfort zone and meet someone new. Make a list of things on your bucket list and start moving toward checking things off. For example, this summer I was burnt out from school, clocking the 9 to 5, stressing about where I was going with my degree, and couldn't help but sit back and think "shucks, what a sad way to go through life." I didn't change what I was doing, I just added to it. I started modeling, something I'd always been encouraged to try. I picked up side gigs as a promoter and started pilates. I dated around a bit and met some wonderful guys.

Moral of the story: what you're feeling is normal. Find your own unique way to make things more enjoyable :drinker:
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Salut!
    Ne lache surtout pas, deja 30 livres de fait, tu dois deja te sentir tellement mieux! :-)
    Montrons-leurs de quoi les quebecoises sont capables!!!
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your motivation!

@Saramelie : t'en fait pas, je ne lâche pas! Je suis juste pas très motivée alors que je l'étais vraiment beaucoup il y a à peine 1 mois!

@ModernNerd: Yeah, mid 20's are hard... I'm feeling it!

@jofjltncb6: Don't worry, I'm eating at least 1300 calories a day

@arrseegee: Hey! Nice to hear that some actually did it and survived :)

@misskittyninj: i'm glad to see you are are actually working for your dreams! let me know where you are going, I've actually travelled a little myself :)

@indigo827: Loving it! I'm gonna write this in my mirror!

@stacks34: You too, don't do anything too fast. Discuss with your current employer before handing a resignation letter!

@kr1stadee: I've tough about it for a long time (moving to another province) but I love my job so much! It's not only what pays my bills, it's part of why i'm happy!

@KANGOOJUMPS: CA-NA-DA! CA-NA-DA! :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Well, it's sounds like you have a great personality and the right attitude. Maybe take a vacation. You obviously need to shake things up a bit. Think a little smaller, try something new, join a group, meet new people.... This way you don't have to leave your job.

Also, I'm jealous. My job is okay, but it's just a job. Blah
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    @jofjltncb6: Don't worry, I'm eating at least 1300 calories a day

Gross 1300 daily calories or net?

Hopefully "net" since you're doing crossfit 3x/week *and* you're running 3x/week.

So I'm not only going to stand by my initial post, but I'm doubling down on it.

You've lost 30 pounds in ~15 weeks. That's 2 pounds/week. These feelings you're having are likely a very normal response to your calorie deficit. I guess you can either power through it or...

...well, I guess that's the only response 95% of MFP wants to hear, so yeah, just power through it. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    have your Vitamin D level checked. Us Northern State residers are notoriously low on Vit D (mine was almost non existent a few years ago) b/c of the short days even in the summer. I've been regularly taking Vit. D for years and definitely see a difference in my mood this time of the year if I slack off of it. It's not a test that is regularly drawn but since finding my so low I always ask for it during my physical which - YIKES - is coming up in a month.