cauliflower.

it's a magical food.
  • alywei37
    Options
    soy
  • cazzamartinek
    cazzamartinek Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually made three recommendations to me regarding this topic once: saffron, vitamin B12, and vitamin D.

It's not uncommon for people to start laughing uncontrollably after consuming too much saffron and has been used for years as a natural anti-depressant. The downside is it is one of the most expensive spices in the world, however my doctor mentioned that you can buy saffron pills which may be cheaper (I couldn't find any in Canada).

Vitamin B12 also plays a part in regulating moods; usually this particular vitamin is found in animal products, such as milk, meat, eggs, fish, and poultry. Supplements are also available to combat B12 deficiencies, though high doses can interact with other medications and cause other concerns
  • Q_Suze
    Q_Suze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sleep? I use food to treat myself too, and when down want to turn to it (as I no longer drink) I agree, exercise helps. also things you like that are treats but not caloric.....long bath, curling up with a book, pedicure, lol-guys get them too! ok massage?
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find that I get pretty depressed during the winter months. I've recently started taking a vitamin d supplement and omega 3-6-9 everyday and am seeing definite improvement in my overall mood. Also I find I feel better after a workout :-) Also, try to get enough sleep!
  • cazzamartinek
    cazzamartinek Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    in agree with the post i put above from mustgetbuff wasnt sure how to then add my bit on anyway ..... A vit B12 deficency can cause depression low mood tiredness i use a suppliment made by vitabiotics called feroglobin it has iron B12 zinc and minerals in it and i find it really helps, could you get your bloods checked at the dr to check your B12 levels hope this helps im only going by my own experience but it may be worth a try :smile:
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Turmeric! Seriously I sprinkle it on all my foods and its been found to have the same efficiency as Prozac minus the side effects :) Here is a link..

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/groundbreaking-study-finds-turmeric-extract-superior-prozac-depression

you can probably find it elsewhere on google too WebMD says its good to prevent alzheimers too.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different when it comes to managing depression. Of course you want to get checked for any nutritional/vitamin/mineral deficiencies and address those. Starchy carbs are important to keep my brain chemistry balanced, so I accept that it is more difficult for me to get into a calorie deficit than if I could give those up. I consider them like medicine, so they're non-negotiable. And I also require myself to get a certain minimum of protein (rather a good deal more than most people, because I do a lot of weight training) and fats too, so there's really nothing left to cut safely.

Me personally, I have to go guns blazing to combat my depression. It's mild, but it's just stubborn. In the shorter-days part of the year, I use a HappyLite in the morning to combat SAD. For my regular depression, I take an anti-depressant, fish oil, vitamin D, zinc, vitamin E and a multi-vitamin. Oh, and I've been working regularly with a counselor for years. It really helps you learn how to make your behavior more constructive and appropriate, rather than indulging in the behavior that depression inspires (which is basically no activity, of course).

And, of course, mind/body work, like weekly yoga and cardio, and I lift four times a week. I engage in activities I love, like taking classes outside of work, laughing with my husband, watching movies, volunteering, and petting my cats (big-time anti-depressant!). Adequate sleep is also important, and I'm still trying to get that part nailed down. :embarassed:

As you may know, depression causes all bodily processes to slooooowwww down, including your metabolism, so my weight loss efforts take longer than people's who don't have depression. I just accept that fact and keep plugging away. So all of the above-mentioned strategies are designed to keep me stimulated, active, and engaged with my own life.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it really just becomes second nature, like checking your blood sugar for a diabetic. And since there's no real acceptable alternative, you learn to accept that it's what you need to do to keep on keepin' on!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    SO much floating around out there on the net and trying to do a search gets so many ads and sites trying to sell stuff.

What foods do you find that help you combat depression while also not being calorie junk bombs?

My head is not where it needs to be - and I dont want to take drugs or resort to Dr. Ben and Dr. Jerry's approach of a pint of ice cream hahah

I know the exercise helps a great bit - but hopefully can find some foods to help as well.

Honestly, nobody is going to be able to give you a straight answer that will apply to you because we are not aware of your history, symptoms and current state. However, if it is true clinical depression, there are no foods that will help get "your head where it needs to be" and "combat depression." Situational and mild forms of depression can be treated with lifestyle and behavioral changes, but there is no magic food that will treat all of the symptoms. You mentioned that you do not want to take drugs, but it could be a temporary option until you learn new behavioral skills.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    For some people reducing the level of salicylate in their systems can help with low moods etc.

All the best
  • GiantBrownie
    Options
    Never be ashamed of needing help with depression. I went on Prozac a few months ago and I maintain that it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I actually feel better and I have more motivation to exercise, as well!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    You mentioned that you do not want to take drugs, but it could be a temporary option until you learn new behavioral skills.
    Oh, I must have missed that in the OP; mark down poor concentration as another of my symptoms! :tongue:

Yeah, I remember being adamant that I was going to treat my depression with diet and exercise and not wanting to take drugs, because they would change my personality... "Hello?!?! Fullsterkur_woman?! Your personality is messed up; that's why you're in need of intervention to begin with!" Oh. Doi! Yep, ok, it seems logical to give it a try. That was something like a dozen years ago, and I can honestly say that I have never had any suicidal thoughts since then. Again, though, drugs alone without therapy won't get the job done; you need to learn new behaviors that aren't self-destructive. :smile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Never be ashamed of needing help with depression. I went on Prozac a few months ago and I maintain that it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I actually feel better and I have more motivation to exercise, as well!
    Yep, that's why I'm so open about my treatment. People aren't ashamed for needing insulin or chemotherapy, so why should this be any different? Depression isn't a character failing; I didn't do anything to cause it. It's just a medical problem I manage. :ohwell:
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Personally there is no food that helps me with my depression but eating right and exercising gives me an overall sense of well being. That and sleeping well. Therapy and medication. I wish it were as simple for me as eating a certain food.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    herbal teas. I just light a candle, make some hot herbal tea and kind of relax. As far as foods, fruit usually boosts my mood. Especially grapes. 150g is around 100 calories. It's not a low sugar fruit by any means though so if you're watching sugar, just be aware of that. I love them/don't care about sugar at all so I indulge quite a bit on grapes.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    herbal teas. I just light a candle, make some hot herbal tea and kind of relax. As far as foods, fruit usually boosts my mood. Especially grapes. 150g is around 100 calories. It's not a low sugar fruit by any means though so if you're watching sugar, just be aware of that. I love them/don't care about sugar at all so I indulge quite a bit on grapes.
    Are you undergoing any other treatments for depression, or is it just the tea, candles and grapes?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Caffeine, and a competent medical professional.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Honestly, nobody is going to be able to give you a straight answer that will apply to you because we are not aware of your history, symptoms and current state. However, if it is true clinical depression, there are no foods that will help get "your head where it needs to be" and "combat depression." Situational and mild forms of depression can be treated with lifestyle and behavioral changes, but there is no magic food that will treat all of the symptoms. You mentioned that you do not want to take drugs, but it could be a temporary option until you learn new behavioral skills.

I agree completely with this statement.

If you are not interested in medication, at least consider therapy. Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Sunlight/light therapy, Exercise, and the other tricks and tips that you may have read about or that are being recommended here can help mild depression to some extent, but they are not substitutes for professional help.

Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    Rib steak, no question.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ricks Picks - esp. the Mean Beans. They're super delicious, not too high in salt, and you can drop an entire jar in minutes without regret. Did I mention that they are scrumptious?! -- best to fight the doldrums with food that tastes good