Working out in the dreaded winter

Options
HELP! It's freezing where I live and I've lost the motivation to get my butt to the gym! In the summer, I used to go 5-6 times a week in the morning before work. Now all I want to do is snuggle up in a blanket and watch movies... Any tips?

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Summer abs are made in the winter. Just focus and get back in the game!!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Get out of bed?
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    HELP! It's freezing where I live and I've lost the motivation to get my butt to the gym! In the summer, I used to go 5-6 times a week in the morning before work. Now all I want to do is snuggle up in a blanket and watch movies... Any tips?

wow you must get up really early to have time to watch movies before work! I just get up, no excuses
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I do my yoga & stretching in the morning and gym at lunch time. I have NO motivation when it's dark out. :yawn:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just get up and go.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My dog makes sure I get out every morning. Otherwise I too would snuggle down and stay longer under the covers!

ETA: GET A DOG?!? :laugh: :drinker:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Tips? Yeah. Imagine yourself deadlifting in an unheated garage when it's below freezing out and your bar feels like a stick of ice. That should make you feel better about training in a warm gym.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! It's so cold and windy it makes it pretty difficult to get up and going
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Man I normally run outside for my workout I do it during my lunch hour at work im to busy with my family life to hit a gym after work or mornings even. Id love to be able to go inside and do my work out. Been too cold for my runs the last two days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know...my gym is a heated facility...for me, winter is all about hitting the gym and hitting the weight room. My advice would be to just get up and go workout instead of watching a movie. Who has time to watch a movie in the morning anyway?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    No tips here... you have to want it bad enough. That is the closest to a tip that I will provide.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Instead of watching a movie, pop in P90x in the morning and work out at home.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It snowed 18 inches here last week and has been continuously in the negative-degrees-Fahrenheit ever since. Trust me, I know your pain! Running in the outdoors, once a joy to me as I chased the runner's high, is no longer an option unless I want to turn my ankle and freeze to death on the way home.

What I've worked out so far:

--Getting to the gym is much easier when fully awake, even though the darkness is about the same--sunrise isn't until after 7 and I'm at work by 7 AM, sunset is around 5 and I'm usually off work after 4:30 PM, so it's dark either way, but somehow it's just easier to do in the evenings.

--Continue with calorie count

--Add little things to keep moving in the day (I walk around the office whenever possible, do lunges, squats, calf raises, etc. when staying in one place for a while)

--Drink hot coffee. Or tea. Or plain hot water. Keep yourself warm and your liquids flowing. OK, this might just be because I love coffee, but as it gets colder I drink more through the day.

--sit-ups and some free-weight work in the living room while watching Christmas movies with the kiddies. They don't mind. Sometimes my son "helps out" by sitting on me while I do a plank.

--I signed up for a two nights a week aerobic dance class after the kids' bedtime. Husband stays home and gets video game time, and I get some "girl time". Sweaty, stinky, aerobic girl time. At least I'm warm by the end of it.

PS--Shoveling snow is a great workout too. I didn't eat those calories back though I'm sure I burned a few extra in anger at the Husband for skipping out on the chore.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Tips? Yeah. Imagine yourself deadlifting in an unheated garage when it's below freezing out and your bar feels like a stick of ice. That should make you feel better about training in a warm gym.

True story.So now I go from the couch to the basement.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine, it's cold here too - I run outside still...if I can do it - u sure can go inside the gym where it's toasty warm to work out...excuses smh
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Because of the dark and the slick sidewalks and roads it is no longer safe for me to do the morning walk I used to enjoy on Tuesdaysand Thursday mornings (I have gym and pool other days of the week). So today I started with a walking DVD in the basement. Not as much fun, but I did get to sweat this morning and that's what counts.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If it's cardio you want, find some videos on youtube.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It was -12 wind chill when I went to class this morning at 4:45AM.

In the immortal words of Nike, JUST DO IT! :)
  • g82green
    Options
    When it's warm out again you'll be hating the days you missed at the gym (well, at least I know I will). Today it's below zero by me. But it's sunny and I'm in a good mood. I usually try to do a few jumping jacks or squats in the morning (by a couple I mean 5). It might not be too much but it wakes me up!

Good luck and don't freeze!!
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My gym has a day care for 50 cents and hour per child. I've got three foster sons.... I need a break. $1.50 an hour babysitting for three kids? Yes, please!!!!! Shower with out the fear of the boys killing each other while I am gone for ten minutes? Yes, please!!!!! Have time to actually blow dry my hair and put on make up? YES PLEASE!!!

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods