Mexican Restaraunt - what to order?

Options
Headed out to face my weakness - Mexican food!!!!!!!!! I only have 600 calories left today....any tips on what I can (or should) order?

Replies

• Honey329
    Options
    You could probably have fajitas without the tortillas. Maybe?
  • celeste2u
    Options
    I say get a half order of chicken quesadillas, and then you still have about 300 calories for chips and salsa.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    last time i went out for mexican, i ordered the chicken fajitas (served with onions, peppers, lettuce, tomato, guac and sour cream and cheese fixings) WITHOUT tortillas ( i knew i'd eat more then one) and only had a few bites of rice and refried beans

i dumped the lettuce on my plate, and all the fillings other then the sour cream - essentially had a chicken taco salad, it was yum. i could have ordered a taco salad but didn't want the bowl or any sauces or anything, and wanted the cooked up peppers and onions. super yummy and filling :)
  • GinaGosh
    Options
    At my local restaurant, they have this pinto bean soup. It has some fancy name which I can't think of, but look for a similar one on your restaurant's menu. It may not sound special, but it is amazing! They serve you just the bean soup but then on the side they have onions, cilantro, tomatoes and jalapenos so you can add what you like. I dump it all in because those things are very few calories and add lots of flavor to it! Very filling... I love it!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas with corn tortillas. Go very light on the sour cream and cheese.
  • kristinab
    Options
    Not sure on the calories but...go with chicken of course,,,maybe chicken fajitas...stay away from the free endless chips. Good luck ,I have to take my son to a pizza party tonite .uggh!
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Hard tacos with little to no cheese. And don't eat sour cream or anything like that. Mexican is not that high in calories, you just need to watch the tortillas (the calories can really add up in those) and watch the cheese and add ons.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    Oooo this is a hard one. Stay away from the complimentry chips and salsa. Trade beans for rice, unless you can get whole black beans that haven't be re-fried. If you can get anything that hasn't been deep fried that is better, so a soft taco instead of a hard taco...and watch your portions. So I would have 1 chicken soft taco, no cheese. And spanish rice. Hope this helps...
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajita salad without cheese or sour cream. Use salsa as a dressing. Of course if it comes in an eatable bowl..Don't eat it:wink:
  • janamuma
    Options
    Thank you everyone...they have a seafood soup on the menu...fish and shrimp in a spicy dark broth? Thoughts?
  • Elizabeth91495
    Options
    I really love Mexican food too, but what I get is a fajita taco salad with shrimp. I don't eat the shell, but it gives you a taste of everything that's so good! I do, however, eat the chips and salsa. My personal trainer friend says that as long as you count how many you're eating and don't go over 10, you should be fine calorie-wise.
  • vangirhl
    Options
    Some restaurants have a grilled chicken or fish option, served with rice and beans. Maybe ask for salad w/o dressing instead of rice/beans? Or as people have said chicken fajitas w/o tortillas or have corn tortillas. No cheese/sour cream. Enjoy!
  • byebyechub
    Options
    As a veggie, I usually order a tostada salad with beans instead of meat. I just make sure not to dig into the crispy shell it comes in :)
  • vangirhl
    Options
    Thank you everyone...they have a seafood soup on the menu...fish and shrimp in a spicy dark broth? Thoughts?

Broth based, o.k.. Cream based, not so o.k. imho
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Oooo this is a hard one. Stay away from the complimentry chips and salsa. Trade beans for rice, unless you can get whole black beans that haven't be re-fried. If you can get anything that hasn't been deep fried that is better, so a soft taco instead of a hard taco...and watch your portions. So I would have 1 chicken soft taco, no cheese. And spanish rice. Hope this helps...

Actually, soft tacos have more calories than hard tacos.
  • slansdown
    Options
    Count out 10 chips (if you like them) -- 150 calories
    soft taco -- 200 calories (without cheese or sour cream)
    have a salad or steamed veggies with it insead of rice and beans.
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always order 2 grilled chicken hard tacos, with no cheese--an extra side of lettuce--then I dump out the contents, add a couple of tablespoons of salsa, and VOILA! A delicious, low calorie salad :)