Need help losing weight.

Options
Generally, I go gym 2 days a week, 2 hours 30 min per exercise day.
Holidays are coming up soon and I am thinking of going to the gym for 4 days per week, 3 hours per exercise day.
My daily food consuming total is 1840.

So if I eat 1840 per day; 1840 x 7 (days per week) = 12, 880 calories a week which is 3.68 pounds per week!
If I burn 1000 calories per exercise; 1000 x 4 (days of exercise in holidays) = 4000 calories per week which is just over a pound!

If I do this, how am I losing weight? Isn't it like I am gaining weight then losing just a tiny bit of it?

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Because you are not REALLY burning 1000 calories. You are burning far more, combined with your RMR calories (the calories you need just to live).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eh? I'm lost.... You do realise you need a certain amount of calories just being alive?
  • jamgirl19777
    Options
    i'm not sure what your stats are, but you are burning more calories than 1,000 staying alive on a daily basis, to properly calculate your BMR there are alot of tools online that does that, a good site is Fat2Fit or simply be realistic with the data you put into MFP and go with that.
  • HotMess6
    HotMess6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Going from 2 days to 4 days, at 3 hours a time, you're going to be burnt out so fast and stop the routine. You really don't need to do 3 hours, do some HIIT or something along the lines and get the most out of a shorter time period.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So, you're an 18 year old guy, ONLY eating 1800 calories and then on top of that working out 3 hrs per day 4 days a week. That is zero fuel in the tank.......no good.
  • Hussain844
    Options
    @RGv2
    What is 'zero fuel in the tank' mean?
  • StormSparks1994
    StormSparks1994 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ^You're starving yourself. There is nothing to turn into energy for you to function.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    @RGv2
    What is 'zero fuel in the tank' mean?

You're not fueling your workout......at all, as stated before you'll burn yourself out.

If you're 18, working out 3 hrs a day, 4 days a week and only taking in 1800 calories that day I would bet you're in a net negative for the day.....I bet you could take in almost double that and still be in a deficit those days.
  • ngallagher13
    ngallagher13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what are you doing for that long at the gym?? it's more effective to do high-intensity interval training (HIIT) for a shorter period of time. You burn fat when your heart rate is high. If you're doing 2 hours of walking, you're not burning that much because your heart rate isn't changing. even when running, you'll burn more fat if you alternate between sprinting and jogging than you would if you just ran at the same pace for a few miles.

you'd be better off doing 30-60 minutes every day than 3 hours every other day.

also, make sure you're lifting weights. adding muscle helps you burn more calories when you're not exercising (higher metabolism in your resting state).