6,000+ calories a day

Options
magerum
magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
Results from a 5 day cruise (11/27-12/1)

For 5 days I averaged 6,000 calories a day and this is more than likely underestimating (I logged as best as I could). The morning after I returned I weighed in, +8.5 lbs compared to my weight the morning of boarding.

Over the next 6 days I ate 3,000 calories a day, which is a small deficit for me. Weight results, down 8 lbs for a net of +1/2 lb from eating 15,000 over TDEE the week of the cruise. Clearly wizardy is at work here.

Discuss.

(The moral of this story is: It's the holidays, eat if you want. No one got fat in a day or a week even.)

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    So awesome. :drinker: :love:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :angry:

yes.
    I am just jealous
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

For 5 days I averaged 6,000 calories a day and this is more than likely underestimating (I logged as best as I could). The morning after I returned I weighed in, +8.5 lbs compared to my weight the morning of boarding.

Over the next 6 days I ate 3,000 calories a day, which is a small deficit for me. Weight results, down 8 lbs for a net of +1/2 lb from eating 15,000 over TDEE the week of the cruise. Clearly wizardy is at work here.

Discuss.

(The moral of this story is: It's the holidays, eat if you want. No one got fat in a day or a week even.)

Curious...were you working out or not?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    IT MUST BE NICE TO BE A MAN AND NOT HAVE THE SAME WATER RETENTION *kicks rocks*

Just kidding (sort of). Please detail everything you ate/drank so I may... enjoy it. Vicariously. After the fact...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    THAT is doin it right.

well done.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    :happy: the end result is what really matters, hope they were yummy calories tho
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how it works, but it has happened to me many times.

I always put about half a stone on when I am on holiday because I like to pig out on everything I can, but pretty much as soon as I come home and go back to my normal eating habits the weight goes.

I haven't been on holiday since joining MFP so I couldn't tell you my calories, but I wouldn't say I eat at a deficit when I come home, I just eat normally like before I went.
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    If you'd been dieting for a long period, the week of eating above maintenance elevated your leptin levels (which are suppressed when dieting), plus some of that was water weight from sodium and alcohol (if you were partaking). Then, when you returned, your body shed the water weight, plus was more relaxed about letting fat go. Most health professionals recommend taking diet breaks every now and again, whether it's one meal a week, or a whole week off.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You mean I don't HAVE to eat 1200 calories on Christmas?!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    OK, I'll answer the two most common answers on this site to do with weight gain: Obviously you weren't eating enough to drop the last .5lbs! Either that or it was all contained in your stomach and undigested/water weight until you came home and gradually eliminated the undigested food or you counted the calories wrong and were actually spilling most of the food on the way to your mouth, because you "can't break the laws of physics" ;)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    this will be me over president's day. 3 days at Disney World and 5 day Disney Cruise.
  • magerum
    Options

Discuss.

Curious...were you working out or not?

I did continue to work out on the cruise. My normal schedule and as close to the same routine as possible.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You mean I don't HAVE to eat 1200 calories on Christmas?!

1200 calories in dessert... yes, you must
  • magerum
    Options
    http://t.co/VVXhhC87yA

Short term over eating results in incomplete energy absorbtion.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    http://t.co/VVXhhC87yA

Short term over eating results in incomplete energy absorbtion.

this^...

...gets my vote.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    3,000?
    6,000?

tantrum-o.gif

y couldn't i have been a tall pop tart loving dude!

temper-tantrum-o.gif
  • magerum
    Options
    3,000?
    6,000?

tantrum-o.gif

y couldn't i have been a tall pop tart loving dude!

temper-tantrum-o.gif

I'm 5'10" on a good day. That's by no means short, but not that tall either.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A similar thing happens to the people that apply the same principle to weight loss too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    http://justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

The cruise gain was glycogen rather than fat?
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me on cruises. IMO, it's water retention. I don't workout on cruises but I burn a ton of calories just walking all the boat. I went a few weeks ago on a 3 day cruise and I was up 2 lbs when I came home and a few days later I was back down.