Detox Tea

Options
I have recently started trying to eat healthier. I bought Yogi Detox tea and Celestial Seasonings Natural Detox Wellness Tea. I was wondering what exactly do detox teas do? Do you guys recommend them? If so which ones do you think you should use?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Our bodies detox themselves, which is why we poop and pee.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well, "detox" is one of those words that is thrown around which doesn't really mean anything. It's a gimmick to get people to buy stuff.

My best guess is the tea will make you poop? I don't know. What do the teas claim to do?

Your body will detox itself with your liver and kidneys.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A detox tea will probably make you poop and pee a lot. Other than that they won't detox anything because your body doesn't need detoxed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Detox may refer to:
    Detoxification, the process, real or perceived, of removing toxins from the body.
    Drug detoxification, processes to reduce or relieve withdrawal symptoms in drug addicted individuals.
    Detoxification (alternative medicine), is the unsupported belief that a change in consumption habits can remove toxins from the body.
    Detox (drag queen), an American drag queen and reality television personality
    Detox (Dr. Dre album), an upcoming album, by the hip hop artist Dr. Dre.
    Detox (Treble Charger album), a 2002 album released by Treble Charger.
    "Detox" (House), an episode of the medical drama House.
    Detox (Millencolin Single), a song released in 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detox
  • mariiarocci
    Options
    I've noticed that the Yogi Teas - "Healthy Fasting" in particular - has a mild laxative effect. However, it is delicious and I make it apart of my daily routine just because of the taste - especially in this cold weather! :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I like Yogi Teas but I hate the names... lol. For example I drink the green tea with blueberry because I love the flavor, but it's called 'Slim Life' which makes me cringe every time I buy it!

Oh and OP.. detox is hogwash. Eat right and let your body handle the waste naturally. :smile:
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yogi teas usually tell you what you're detoxing when you drink their tea. It may be on the side of the box...if I remember correctly. I think it may have the same antioxidant effects that studies have shown that things like blueberries and dark chocolate or wine has..... I think it has to do with your liver. Don't quote me.... to the best of my knowledge..... that is what the "claim" is.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    They "detox" your wallet of all that dirty money.

You don't need to detox anything. Your liver and kidneys do a fine job all on their own.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I never drank it, but I got some in a gift one time and mixed it with green clay to make a face mask and on puffy eye bags (hangover puffy bags no less) just to find a purpose to use them up. :tongue: It worked awesome for those purposes but I doubt it would do much for anything else other than (as others have said) make you pee and poop more. Don't put any expectations on it, but see if you like the flavor. I got some of the blueberry slimming tea (I see someone else likes blueberry tea too!) in the same gift and while I don't expect it to do anything, it's a great mid-afternoon drink.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i feel like all teas detox a bit. i always feel better after having a few cups of any tea really
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Besides making you pee a lot and POSSIBLY poo liquid........nothing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Besides making you pee a lot and POSSIBLY poo liquid........nothing.

Out...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think the word detox should be banned except in relation to drug / alcohol rehab or chelation therapy for the removal of heavy metals.

In the context of dietary supplements etc it's completely meaningless.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much every whose posted above me has gotten the point across pretty well... But if you're a tea drinker to begin with, Yogi tea is a great one (my personal favorite) I love their "Breathe Deep" tea-- while I'm not sure if it helped me breathe any deeper, the minty aroma is delicious!

But yeah, 8 glasses of good, old fashion, free H2O and a healthy, balanced diet is your best route as far as detox goes!
  • crybaby2384
    crybaby2384 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    K. Thanks everyone. I just wanting to try some different things to be healthier and I thought that might be something to try. Thanks again for the advise. :-)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I have recently started trying to eat healthier. I bought Yogi Detox tea and Celestial Seasonings Natural Detox Wellness Tea. I was wondering what exactly do detox teas do? Do you guys recommend them? If so which ones do you think you should use?

They separate folks from their money, congratulations.

Rigger
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    I drink it when I'm feeling constipated. So for the past 2 days, I've had about 4-5 cups of the "detox" tea and I've gone number 2 about 3 times. Not liquid... Solid logs, man! I was more backed up than I thought... =)