Healthy holiday treats

Options
Buhbee
Buhbee Posts: 108 Member
I know... its hard to believe I could write 'healthy' + 'holiday' in the same sentence. But i'm wanting to keep it healthy-ish because the women in my family are starting their weight loss journey and everyone always relies on me to make a tin full of goodies every year. I just think its a little cruel for me to give them the same fattening treats I make every year plus I want to stay good myself. I thought of conquering the cookie that beat me in the kitchen last year which is the French Macaron. They are not terrible for you and its elegant. So my question to everyone is: What are your favorite "healthy" treats?

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think a tin of different types of almonds would be a great choice (at least to me!!). There are some nice almonds covered in cocoa powder, sea salt, even a vanilla flavored coating.

Some other options:

Dried fruits
    Popcorn
    Cutie Oranges
  • urbanmef
    Options
    I don't have an answer but am eager to hear any suggestions myself!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Basically any kind of fruit or vegetable platter! There are so many tutorials on how to make them look more festive too. Like a Christmas Tree Vegetable tray, a giant fruit plate that looks like a present. Those are always cute and super healthy.

I made a trail mix for my work party. I used different Chex cereals, dry roasted nuts, dark chocolate chips and marshmallows. I put them all in a bowl and that's really all there was to it and everyone really liked the combination and its pretty healthy especially compared the the brownies, cookies, and other deliciousness that were on the table.

I've also seen brownie recipes using a can of black beans or cakes with a can of diet coke instead of the other ingredients.
  • debsanders58
    Options
    There is a recipe I make for my diabetic husband & friends at church: sugar-free white chocolate pudding, grape-nut cereal, & Cool Whip. You just add the milk the pudding calls for & the other ingredients & you have a lo-cal dessert. Then I saw a cute recipe yesterday on FB: pitas cut into Christmas tree shapes, with a guacomole mixture topping & red peppers for ornaments & a pretzel stick for the tree trunk. Very cute! Don't know exact ingredients, but I'm sure you could do a search & find it.
    God Bless,
    Deb :flowerforyou:
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate chip "cookie dough" dip with PB2 and a can of chickpeas today that is delicious! Recipe from: http://stuftmama.com/2011/10/04/have-you-ever/ with two servings of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips thrown in afterward. I also skipped the brown sugar and regular sugar in favor of stevia. I split mine into 8 servings for like 80 or so calories a serving (3g fat, 14g of carbs/4g sugar, 4g protein). I spread some on some natural butter cookies today, which = nom.