Shrinking my stomach

Options
romanaXOX
romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
This is my first post on MFP... I've been casually on and off the site for the last year but I really feel like I finally have the time to commit to this....

The first thing I'm noticing is that clearly I've been eating WAY larger portions since when I was smaller in my teens (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'll never be back down to that size) but still... back then I used to be totally satisfied with eating WAY smaller portions...

So while I'm trying to shrink my stomach back down to a normal size I'm finding myself hungry a lot of the time... To help combat that I try drinking a lot of water, but I'm wondering if that's just counter productive if I'm drinking so much to make me feel full??

Replies

• BlindHog25
    BlindHog25 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No! Drinking water will help you feel full while shrinking your stomach. The first couple weeks are the hardest. Stick with it and you can do it!!!
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    Thanks so much!!

It's going to be a rough couple weeks for sure. I can't believe how much I let things get out of hand! haha

And like most girls, back then I thought I was HUGE lol
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've been eating six small meals per day rather than a few large ones and I've noticed that this has made it so that I can't eat too much food in one sitting!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your commitment,

As you have said the 1st couple of weeks are really the hardest....my husband and I lost weight together and interestingly for us we found that 2 completely different approaches worked for us in dealing with excessive hunger pangs.

For him, he found eating more frequently and adding in a portion of protein with each meal helpful.

For me, I found going to intermittent fasting was the way to go....plus eating a proportionally larger amount of protein as well.

Maybe tho, you may be eating too little....could your weight loss per week be set a little low???? Being hungry is a miserable state and not one that you can sustain long-term....it's just too demoralising....and not necessary, so if you can give yourself some wriggle room calorie wise that might help. Also make sure that you keep your diet full of much fresh fruit, vegetable and meat.....that will give you alot more food per calorie than processed stuff.

Good luck!!!!! This difficult phase too will pass.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I looked into this and apparently, our stomachs don't significantly change size based on our eating habits. I mean, yeah, you eat and it stretches out...but then it goes back to normal size, no permanent changes. That being said, our bodies get accustomed to how much we eat, and when we are used to eating less, we feel full sooner, but if we're used to eating a lot, it takes time to feel full. Which basically has the same effect as what you mean, but it's hormonal, not based on actual stomachs size. A few weeks of eating smaller portions should start changing the way your body responds and you should start to feel full sooner. It helps if you eat slowly.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Practice taking 30 min to consume a cup of healthy food, Your stomach is almost exactly the size of your fist. I only eat out of a container that matches my fist. It may look silly but at 250 lbs my concept of a single serving was a Super Bowl of pho, 2 fresh rolls and a Thai tea. I am retraining my brain.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot lose fat from any one particular portion of your body, such as your stomach. And you can actually look better than you did as a teenager with the peoper diet and exercise.

I checked your diary and your calories look fine, but you might want to consider upping your protein. This will help curb some of the hunger and help you retain more muscle.
  • ohthatzhott
    ohthatzhott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, green tea (hot liquids help fill you up as well), and eat a small meal/snack every two hours. My body is so accustomed to it that I start to feel hungry exactly on the nose of two hours. I also eat lighter towards the evening. After the gym I may eat bits of what I'm making for lunch tomorrow and then have a small protein shake with unsweetened almond milk (taste better than it sounds). You just have to find your groove!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    This is my first post on MFP... I've been casually on and off the site for the last year but I really feel like I finally have the time to commit to this....

The first thing I'm noticing is that clearly I've been eating WAY larger portions since when I was smaller in my teens (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'll never be back down to that size) but still... back then I used to be totally satisfied with eating WAY smaller portions...

So while I'm trying to shrink my stomach back down to a normal size I'm finding myself hungry a lot of the time... To help combat that I try drinking a lot of water, but I'm wondering if that's just counter productive if I'm drinking so much to make me feel full??

No drinking lots of water flushes you out, and helps with bloating. I drink 4Liters of water a day!!
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is a great way to feel full while not actually being so. So much of it is mental and getting through that hurdle will become habit later. Best of luck!
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    I thought my protein was kind of low too but the MFP counter keeps saying I'm going over which I find a bit bizarre???
    Unfortunately you cannot lose fat from any one particular portion of your body, such as your stomach. And you can actually look better than you did as a teenager with the peoper diet and exercise.

I checked your diary and your calories look fine, but you might want to consider upping your protein. This will help curb some of the hunger and help you retain more muscle.
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    Wow thanks, that's a lot of great info! :)
    I looked into this and apparently, our stomachs don't significantly change size based on our eating habits. I mean, yeah, you eat and it stretches out...but then it goes back to normal size, no permanent changes. That being said, our bodies get accustomed to how much we eat, and when we are used to eating less, we feel full sooner, but if we're used to eating a lot, it takes time to feel full. Which basically has the same effect as what you mean, but it's hormonal, not based on actual stomachs size. A few weeks of eating smaller portions should start changing the way your body responds and you should start to feel full sooner. It helps if you eat slowly.
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support!! You're so lucky to have your husband with you on the weight loss mission even if you're using different techniques.

I know for the first while my weight loss goals are a little high, but I'm making a trip back home in a month and I really want to be able to show some progress haha

Congrats on your commitment,

As you have said the 1st couple of weeks are really the hardest....my husband and I lost weight together and interestingly for us we found that 2 completely different approaches worked for us in dealing with excessive hunger pangs.

For him, he found eating more frequently and adding in a portion of protein with each meal helpful.

For me, I found going to intermittent fasting was the way to go....plus eating a proportionally larger amount of protein as well.

Maybe tho, you may be eating too little....could your weight loss per week be set a little low???? Being hungry is a miserable state and not one that you can sustain long-term....it's just too demoralising....and not necessary, so if you can give yourself some wriggle room calorie wise that might help. Also make sure that you keep your diet full of much fresh fruit, vegetable and meat.....that will give you alot more food per calorie than processed stuff.

Good luck!!!!! This difficult phase too will pass.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I thought my protein was kind of low too but the MFP counter keeps saying I'm going over which I find a bit bizarre???

MFPs default setting for protein is quite low.

you can customize your macros by setting your percentages, and i expect you'll see quite a jump in your protein allotment.

try something like 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat to get yourself started.

lean proteins can help you feel full longer, as mentioned.

ETA: dont focus so much on "shrinking" your stomach, and focus instead on maintaining a healthy caloric deficit and meeting your macro needs.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney disease it's almost impossible to get too much protein. Depending on where you look (and I cannot get to any peer-reviewed literature without paying an arm and a leg) the rule of thumb is generally either 1g of protein per lean body mass or 1g of protein per body weight. Your body will expel any protein it does not need.

MFP does initially set your protein macro at 20%, which is low IMO. I customize my settings by going to goals and choosing the customize option, then setting my macros.

What I've found works for me (may not work for you) is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. That puts my protein at about my actual body weight or just below and I don't worry if I go over. I generally do not lose if I don't get on average 150g of protein a day but I'm very active so I need to feed my muscles accordingly. I do supplement with a protein powder and I'm not going to suggest one because there are 10 million to choose from, I do use a 100% whey isolate though.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You could try eating foods that provide more satiety. In general these are real foods like veg, fruit, and meat. Read this and take a look at the items with the highest score.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You could try eating foods that provide more satiety. In general these are real foods like veg, fruit, and meat. Read this and take a look at the items with the highest score.

read what now?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

read what now?

Oops - good catch. Here's the link: http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    Awesome thanks!! I'm going to go try changing that. I think getting more protein will help a lot.

MFPs default setting for protein is quite low.

you can customize your macros by setting your percentages, and i expect you'll see quite a jump in your protein allotment.

try something like 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat to get yourself started.

lean proteins can help you feel full longer, as mentioned.

ETA: dont focus so much on "shrinking" your stomach, and focus instead on maintaining a healthy caloric deficit and meeting your macro needs.
  • romanaXOX
    Options
    Great resource! Thanks!! That's an interesting list...

Probably closely comparable to the glycemic index I would imagine

read what now?

Oops - good catch. Here's the link: http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm