How many MPH do you run on a treadmill?

Options
I am trying to find a good speed to run on a treadmill and I was curious what everyone else's speed was? I run anywhere between 4.8/6.8mph on the treadmill.

My thing is when I was in the military a year ago, I was running at 8.0mph and so anything less than that seems slow to me. But I know the average person doesn't have the work out regimen we did when I was enlisted. So i am trying to see where everyone else is at and set a more realistic goal for myself

Replies

• mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All of them
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    All of them

what do you mean, can you tell me more about your treadmill routine, do you run one long run or intervals and what is your normal speed/mph
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    12..its the last speed..
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I tend to do my first mile at 6.7mph and depending on how I feel it can go down to 6.5 or I keep adding every quarter mile or so until I get to 8mph then I'll decrease it again every quarter mile or so.

Other times when I want to go for distance I'll set it at 6.5mph (for 4-10 mile runs)

I have no rhyme nor reason to what I put in other than doing what my body feels will work for it at the time. I'd suggest you do the same, it alone can tell you what works for it on any given day. If you feel you are able to run at 8mph then do it, if the next day you feel ok, do it again if not rest and try again or take the speed down.

I'd not go looking to run at the average over a bunch of people none of whom are you, try varying speeds etc and see what works.

However, if previously you ran outside I'd pop the treadmill on incline to get a more accurate match (usually 1-2 incline will give an approximate for this)

Good luck!
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    12..its the last speed..

OMG, you must be tall to be able to run that fast
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    On a good day 5.0 for 60 minutes and that's my fastest. I'm trying break at 10k in 60 minutes and it's so hard. I guess once I drop more BF I'll get somewhat faster. I aspire to be like you fast guys. I love to run:)
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but a hiker/climber so for me I make my treadmill sessions as close to that as possible. I hate treadmills but in the winter where I need to keep up my cardio for big day hikes I stay around 3.5-4mph but normally between an 8-12 %incline to mimic elevation pitch
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Also I hope you folks going fast are not running at a 0/1% incline, on a treadmill that is equivalent to going downhill.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on the objective of the run and the distance I'm running.

Long slow runs will be around 5.5 mph (11 min mile), tempo runs and intervals etc will be faster - my best mile race so far has been about 8 mph. Mix them up!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great runner and I'm short….for a solid straight run around 5.2 - 5.6 if I'm doing intervals I can bump things up to 6.0 - 6.4.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I hate treamills. If I do happen to use one I do intervals. I warmup at 6.5-6.7 and then very my speeds up to 8.5 or 9 on a good day. I keep my incline at a 2.

Height does not limit our capacity for running! That's silly! I'm 5'3. I run the speeds I do because of my ability and training, like everyone else. I run races eith elite runners (clearly I'm not one) and a good portion of them, men and women both, are quite short and they run speeds most people would never dream of.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    12..its the last speed..

OMG, you must be tall to be able to run that fast

Height has no bearing on one's ability to run fast.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Usually 6.2 with 2.5% incline. I have short legs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My treadmill goes about 1,040 MPH.

That's the speed of the rotating Earth, the only thing I run on. Bazinga!
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    6- 6.5 mph
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I only run in minutes per mile, not MPH. Therefore I try to avoid treadmills at all costs. (Seriously, why do treadmills go in MPH when all runners care about is minutes per mile?)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I usually only use the treadmills for my easy runs short runs because I hate them so much, so I usually keep it at about between a 10:30 - 12:00 pace.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I have mainly been doing intervals because when I was bigger it hurt too much and drained me of all my energy trying to run for long periods of time. Now that I have lost 30lbs and running is a regular part of my routine I am going to try and get a consistent run into my routine that is not in intervals. I think that will require some work as far as my breathing is concerned.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i have to go at atleast 9 lately i have been doing 10mph. but i can only manage 1-2mins sprints or my shins/knees crap out.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options