Healthy snacks!

Options
Hey all!

I am definitely a meal-lover. I basically only eat 3 big, calorie heavy meals a day, with no snacking, or if I do, the snacks are unhealthy or have few calories but no nutritional value. I was thinking that maybe if I can incorporate some tasty, healthy snacks throughout the day, I wouldn't eat such heavy meals, and my appetite wouldn't be so out of control! And I could get some nutrition in my daily diet.

What healthy snacks do you keep around your house? I live in South Dakota, so if it's something that you can only buy at Trader Joe's or some fancy place other than Walmart, Target, or Hyvee, I probably don't have access to it:(

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    protein bars, either store bought or homemade (im a fan of several of the quest bars- i enjoy my daily bar!). i make protein muffins and cookies too for snacks (instagram and rippedrecipes.com have a ton of options)

then there's the obvious fruit, veggies (plain, with PB or with hummus), yogurt, nuts, cottage cheese, cheese, etc.
  • Blahjaz
    Blahjaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never really tried eating protein bars before, I will give it a go!

I do usually try to keep fruit and veggies around, but I find that I am reluctant to eat them, even though I really enjoy lots of them! Maybe if I just force myself, I will start eating them more regularly.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I always have a mixture of nuts and dried fruit on me for when I get the munchies! a small handful keeps me full for hours!! I use to do protein bars but then read all the BAD ingredients in most of them and just got turned off. I am sure I can make my own homemade but I rarely ate them so would be a waste :)
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day, 3 main meals and 3 snacks. I eat between 1200 to 1300 calories most days. All healthy, no junk food, candy or chips. I have an open diary, take a look.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of protein bars due to the amount of sugar in some of them.

Some healthy snacks with calorie counts:

Fage fat free total 0% greek yogurt - 97 calories with one cup of grapes - 62 calories

Bakery on Main gluten free instant oatmeal (made with quinoa, etc.) - 200 calories with 4 grams of fat and 8 grams of protein

Not entirely healthy, but before an exercise session as a small treat - Belvita breakfast biscuits (pack of 4) - 4 grams of protein and 232 calories

I also make a healthy coleslaw with one cup shredded red cabbage, one shredded medium carrot and one sliced green onion. Mix that together with a light honey and mustard dressing (12 calories per tablespoon) and a light mayo (42 calories per tablespoon), a pinch of paprika, a pinch of cumin and salt/pepper and you have a snack that's 120 calories.

Try organic wholemeal bread or make your own and get laughing cow light soft cheese triangles (25 calories per triangle and they have blue cheese ones as well) and you have a snack of about 125 calories.

One egg, one laughing cow slice, 1/4 cup of boiled potatoes, 1/2 tablespoon of parmesan, 1/8 of an onion and you've got yourself a spanish omelet. Not too much in terms of calories at all. Mix all together in a pan or make a larger portion and you have a great and nutritious snack you could eat cold the next day.

Hope this helps.. Other alternatives is making stuff with oatmeal, a couple of nuts and some honey with fruit.
  • Blahjaz
    Blahjaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone!

It looks like I definitely need to start keeping more fruit and veggies in the house along with eliminating the amount of unhealthy stuff I keep (I looooove oatmeal, and that's what I've been eating a lot, I just wondered if maybe it was too big to be called a snack:)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    oatmeal isn't bad for you.. it's what you put in it that matters..

I snack on jerky, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, PB on celery.. fruits and veggies, leftovers, salad, nuts, protein bars, shakes, greek yogurt, cottage cheese..
    open diary (I think) the last few weeks have not been good though.. lol