chicken boneless calories confused :/...

Options
Ok am confused with it...

Today I bought 1kg of boneless chicken....

Of which I fried In oil 500gm with Lil black paper turmeric chilly ppwerd salt and 180gm of tomato's

I tried to search on MFP a lot that ideal calories for this...but it varies from food to food...like 600 or 1200 or in some even 1800

Am really confused...wt would be ideal calorie intake fr this meal??

Replies

• MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast skinless has around 100 cal for 100g. It's a little more but this is how I try to remember it when I forgot to look at the calories. Anyway, skin on the chicken or adding a lot of oil also adds a lot of calories since 1 tbsp of oil contains around 80 cal. Hope this helps you a little :)
  • sonuyos
    sonuyos Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have made skinless boneless chicken...with quite a oil... But 50% oil was left in fry pan only..
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Add your ingredients all seperate.

Most packaged meats have the caloire and info on the back/bottom

Oil has nutritional label that also lists the calories etc.

If you can't find these items in the data base using the brand name, then make your own. There is a link (think it is in blue), "Add " if not in data base.

It is always better to list each ingredient you use, than just looking up in data base for something that sounds like what you made. Everyone puts different things and amounts when making foods, so that is never going to be accurate unless you know exactly what was in the food to get to those totals.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if the oil is left in the pan or not- in your diary you always log how much you actually put in the pan.
    Maybe try using less oil, it's really not necessary to drown the chicken in it.

As far as your initial question goes: log each ingredient separately.
    -500 grams of boneless skinless chicken (on its own is around 550 calories)
    - 180 grams of tomato (around 30 calories)
    - oil (insert amount here)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if the oil is left in the pan or not- in your diary you always log how much you actually put in the pan.

No I don't. Why in the world would I?

:huh:
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always put the amount in for my ingredients, the raw ingredients regardless of what is left behind. If you're using lots of oil, to make it healthier you might find a way to minimise the oil and substitute something else to reduce it a bit. Otherwise I'd be including it, unless you were to weigh the oil left and guesstimate the proportion that you didn't use, then adjust your recipe accordingly.

I made a chicken curry tonight, but I reduced the amount of butter, added milk instead of cream, added more water in, and the result was lovely. A bit less naughty than the original recipe. But if you're frying chicken, it's very difficult to work out what you're using in oil. So much is absorbed that you should be counting it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No I don't. Why in the world would I?

:huh:

sersly. bunch of the oil stays in the pan...not logging that.
  • nikamar
    Options
    If you're measuring how much is left in the pan after cooking that is completely wrong because lots of the fluids left are gonna be fluids that come out of the chicken as you cook it (mixed with oil).

Seriously, if you don't plan on eating something- don't use it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you're measuring how much is left in the pan after cooking that is completely wrong because lots of the fluids left are gonna be fluids that come out of the chicken as you cook it (mixed with oil).

Nah, looks like it's all oil to me. I'm pretty sure the other juices just cook off in the blistering hot oil.

Progress doesn't seem hindered by this choice, so I'm going to assume I've got the right idea.
  • nikamar
    Options
    But if you're frying chicken, it's very difficult to work out what you're using in oil. So much is absorbed that you should be counting it.

Exactly.
    Everything else is not very precise, but to each his own. ;)

Initial question was about meal calories, and it all depends on the amount of oil.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, look everything up separately. Weigh foods on a food scale using grams. Measure free-pouring liquids. Then either look for the nutrition info on the package (I get Tyson chicken, the package says 140 calories for 112 grams but that's boneless skinless-- if yours has skin it'll be more) or if there is no nutrition info look in the database for the entries without an asterisk. If you can't find it, you can search here for the calorie info:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

And then create your own database entry. But don't create your own entry if you can find one that matches, because the database is already very cluttered.

So for example my dinner might look like this:

Tyson boneless skinless chicken breast raw, 168 grams-- 210 calories
    vegetable oil, 1 tsp-- 40 calories
    freshly snipped rosemary leaves, 1.5 grams-- 2 calories
    raw minced garlic, 5 grams-- 5 calories
    Lemon juice, 5 grams 1 calorie
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Ewwww! After dinner cocktail of oil used to cook chicken in.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Seriously though, it would be really difficult to work out how much oil the chicken absorbed unless you weighed it before cooking and then again after cooking - the difference would be the weight of oil - but that doesn't account for moisture loss from the chicken. Also it would depend on how hot the oil was when you added the chicken and whether it was shallow or deep fried (deep frying at the right temperature seals the outside quickly so less moisture loss and less oil uptake whilst shallow frying at a lower temp means more moisture loss and more oil uptake). Obviously you haven't consumed the entire bottle of oil as there is some left in the pan - unless you are planning on drinking it later - so it would be wildly inaccurate to add all of these calories. A possible solution would be to put the used oil in the fridge, let it cool and see if it separates - pour off what isn't oil and measure the remainder. Deduct this amount from the original amount of oil. The difference is what was absorbed by the chicken. If nothing separates assume what is left is all oil and measure this against the original amount. Again the difference is what was taken up by the chicken.

Other than that my only other suggestion would be to give it a guess and be more accurate next time - put it down as a learning experience.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ^ this argument is why I never fry anything anymore. Can't figure out how to log it.
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    Options
    This is ridiculous if you care about accurate counting. Next time you're at the grocery store, compare the calories in a serving of precooked bacon to a serving of raw bacon. It's less than half. You wouldn't count the full tub of fat if you deep-fried something, would you? Chicken breast: 60000kcal
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I still fry things. I just use 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil and log that. If there is left over liquid, then I know I'm having gravy. :drinker:
  • tjross1004
    tjross1004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rainey is right, I do homemade meals all by separate ingredient, as it will give you a far more accurate idea. Be careful which seasonings you use; anything with salt may hinder results, but peppers and will help digestion and give you better results while usually matching the taste.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Instead of oil I use something like PAM or something with 0 calories, but sometimes I have to spray so much I think it has to be SOME calories lol.
  • spersephone
    Options
    I still fry things. I just use 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil and log that. If there is left over liquid, then I know I'm having gravy. :drinker:

Exactly, you've accounted for it already so you might as well enjoy it!
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options

That's not frying, that's sauté

Deep frying is when you completely submerse the food in hot oil. Pan frying usually has about 1/2" of oil in the pan, so you fry the food on one side, then flip it and fry the other.

So yeah, logging enough fat to pan-fry a chicken breast won't be right. But figuring out how much oil gets absorbed is going to be tricky. About the best you can do is weight the oil before and after frying. There's little chance of any water from the chicken being left, as the oil will boil it and release it as steam during cooking.
  • spersephone
    Options
    Ok - it's easier for me personally to simply never deep fry anything. Because you're right, it's very difficult to estimate oil from that.