i just added 20 lbs too my bench press after...

Options
not working out for a week like i was doing 3 sets of 8 at 135 struggling a week ago took a week off and 135 was easy threw 10 more pounds on 145 was easy and did 2 sets of 155 is that normal I heard it takes time to build muscle but i didnt think i would go up 20 pounds in a week weight lifting also was at 135 on decline and incline usually at 115??!?!

Replies

• Wants2bethin
    Options
    Nice :)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    is this usually or just like weird cuz that happened from 110 to 135 i took 2 weeks off for studying and did 135 easily i was doing 135 for 3 weeks took this week off started to day and 155? weird i think im gonna experiment with this :O
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal, but not really because you built that much muscle, but because the muscles had time to fully recoup. That's why it's good to take some breaks once in awhile (every 4-5 weeks) to let the body fully recharge before the next round.

Good job.
  • mccorml
    Options
    like should i be able to add 20 pounds like that tho and just go?! like i skipped 145? should i just continue with 155 for a couple weeks take a break and see how far i can get from there?
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That is excellent!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    like should i be able to add 20 pounds like that tho and just go?! like i skipped 145? should i just continue with 155 for a couple weeks take a break and see how far i can get from there?
    If you can do the weight, then by all means, keep at it. What are you're goals? Mass? Strength? Endurance?

If you're going strictly for size(bulk), then keep most of your set rep under 8 reps....3-6 reps is better. If you want strength increase & some mass, then bump most of your sets into the 10-12 rep range. Endurance/toning, reps in the 14-20 range.

You can also do variants; Week 1 & 2, do low reps, week 3-5, higher reps lower weight, then back to lower reps. Keep the muscles guessing.
  • mccorml
    Options
    idk i wanna increase my strength and get a high as bench press as i can but right now im cutting and then im gonna start bulking