"I wanna runnnn......to youuuuuuuuuuu"

Options
Hi there,

Please excuse my singing. So, today's whining session is sponsored by the fact that I am totally motivated and ready to mix in some jogging with my walking, but OUCH man. Every night I get myself all pumped up with my normal routine: I sing the Rocky theme song out loud and throw some punches into the air until I see my neighbors starting to stare, and then I go for it.....jog for maybe 15 seconds or so until I can't take the pain anymore. My damn shins hurt SO much every time I land on them, so I go back to walking. What is this?! So far I have hypothesized the following:

1) this is confirmation that I am indeed fatter than I should be, hence the reason why I'm here
2) this is a way of my mind tricking me into being lazy and not running
3) early onset of osteoporosis??

To respond to some of you in advance, I do plenty of stretching and drink plenty of water. Am I just meant to be an eternal walker? Does anybody else feel me on this one? Your input would be much appreciated. Kthx. :)

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    what about your shoes? shin splints suck, i use to get them when i played basketball, and it was usually due to crappy flooring or bad shoes...
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Shoes could definately be your problem. Head into a running store where they will be able to suggest the proper shoe for you.
  • janderson31
    janderson31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Probably shin splints. I would get some better shoes and maybe try finding a track or path to run on that isn't cement or asphalt. If they start to swell or get really bad, I would check with your doctor. My sister got stress fractures in both of her legs from running when she was in boot camp. She also has problems with her bones though... :)
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how you feel! i started C25k 7weeks ago, and my shins would ache and my feet would fall asleep. this went on for weeks, but i had to use a less bulky in sole and not wear long socks. the socks were cutting off circulation to my feet and legs. the in sole was taking up too much room in my $100 running shoes. this has decreased the shin pain and i can feel my feet when i run again!
  • swerdygnome
    swerdygnome Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.....I sure do hope it's not the shoes considering I just recently spent $80 on a brand new pair of shoes after trying on a ton of them. I even got them a half size bigger than normal (per the store employee) so that my feet won't fall asleep.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Maybe as an addition to getting better running shoes and trying not to run on cement (that impact is rough on us) try getting a foam roller and rolling along your shins (and the whole body). It's a little awkward at first but 've found it really helps tight muscles.

I applaud your Rocky enthusiasm! Don't lose it!
  • Darkling
    Options
    Going with the herd on this one. Shoes, inserts, etc. Stretching is a big deal. If it hurts... stop doing it. Hit the elliptical for a while.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch.

My bf & I bought get them really badly, stretching helps a TON.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    POLYSORB INSOLES. You can get them online, at Big 5 sporting goods. I used to have shin splints and the insoles completely removed that problem.

Run on the front of your foot. Don't run on your full foot. You walk with your full foot and run on the front only.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the previous suggestions, try not bouncing. Obviously, I don't know how you run so this might not be a problem at all, but a lot of people bounce a lot more than necessary when they jog or run. You want to move forward, not up and down. If I notice that I'm getting too bouncy, I try to think of gliding ("It's all in the buttocks! Don't I look pretty?") to help smooth out my stride.

Just a thought. :)
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    My feet fall asleep when I walk/run and the New Balance expert person told me that is a width issue in my shoe. I had to buy a wide and it's much better now. I don't normally wear a wide, but I guess these particular tennis shoes ran narrow.

I would definitely check with your doctor. You may not be able to prevent the pain all together, but maybe prevent/reduce it and you CERTAINLY don't want to hurt yourself.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I always recommend watching the youtube videos related to "Chi of Running" just make sure you have the proper form and it really cuts down on the shin splints and joint pain associated with running. I started couch to 5k in June and am more than halfway through Gateway to 8k-have you tried those programs, they really helped me ease into it and gave me a program.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    "It's all in the buttocks! Don't I look pretty?"

LOL I want to watch that movie now. I have to majorly stretch, or I get really bad pain in my shins. Sometimes I still have to stop every once in a while and stretch my legs out, this one being my FAVORITE stretch...I dunno, I do this for a min or so to each leg and it makes the pain go away. lol

image-stretching.jpg
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here ya go dear. This site has awesome info on shin pain

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    How about shin splints? lol Incredible pain in your shins. Could be from walking. Take it easy on the running until you lose about 15-20 lbs more.
  • swerdygnome
    Options
    POLYSORB INSOLES. You can get them online, at Big 5 sporting goods. I used to have shin splints and the insoles completely removed that problem.

Run on the front of your foot. Don't run on your full foot. You walk with your full foot and run on the front only.

Good info....I'll check it out. Thank you all for the feedback!
  • swerdygnome
    Options
    here ya go dear. This site has awesome info on shin pain

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

Awesome....thx!!
  • swerdygnome
    Options
    In addition to some of the previous suggestions, try not bouncing. Obviously, I don't know how you run so this might not be a problem at all, but a lot of people bounce a lot more than necessary when they jog or run. You want to move forward, not up and down. If I notice that I'm getting too bouncy, I try to think of gliding ("It's all in the buttocks! Don't I look pretty?") to help smooth out my stride.

Just a thought. :)

Another excellent point....l am indeed quite bouncy.
  • heathera1980
    Options
    I can't remember where I read this but I read that if you run on a sidewalk, to try to switch between running on the sidewalk and the grass next to it. And run on the ball of your foot rather than your heel. :) Shin splints do suck...I hope you get them under control!