Struggling with eating right!

Options
Hey there, So I have been doing some exercise challenges from groups on Facebook and am doing great this week with that and working out but I really struggle with the eating healthy part and know that I will not lose weight just by exercising and not eating right! I do great throughout the day while I am at work but as soon as I get home, life gets a little more stressful with 3 kids, a husband, trying to cook supper, going to college full time, housework...etc, and I tend to ruin my day! :( I dont eat because I am hungry I eat because I am such an emotional eater and I also have an evening snacking habit that I need to break! Any thoughts on what I should do to stop this bad habit??

Replies

• I'm just starting out, so I know that there are people on here that would know better than me, but eating right is the hardest part for me, as well. What I've been trying to do is put any snack-type food into single serving bags as soon as I open the package for the first time. At least if I'm eating multiple servings, it makes me aware of it and it's easier for me to stop because I recognize how much I'm eating. I hope that helps :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    the hardest part forme is not buying junk in teh firt place - if its not in the house i cant eat it, but not putting it in my trolley is the hardest bit - after years of living on 7 takeaways a week, plus chips at work for lunch, im back on here *again* and really trying hard

i switched from 3 ltrs of full fat coke to 3 litres of no added sugar flavoured sparking water - not perfect, but its a stepping stone towards water - after 2 weeks im planning to switch 1 ltre of the sparking water to no added sugar dilute, and then onto plain water with a squeeze of juice etc

the second hardest for me is planning my meals and not panick eating - getting home at 9pm from working 2jobs and choosing a chocolate bar and crisps for convenience rather than popping a chicken breast in the oven and peeling some veggies

I personally am going dowe atkins style low carb high protein route, but thats personal for me, I have 135lbs to lose and i know if im not strict on myself ill give up

things i highly recommend:

food scale - weight everything that isnt pre weighed - rice and pasta used to be awful for me - i never knew i ate 4 'portions'

bathroom scale - put it away when not using - try to only weigh once a week or fortnight
    measuring tape - measure your body because you could drop sizes but not weight - i care what i LOOK like more than what I weigh

planning - try and plan your meals - food shopping is hard enough but if you have an idea of what you're cooking, you'll not need to go down that sweets isle, and u'll be able to buy smaller quantities of food if you only need a little - im awful for cooking more just because the packed needs used up

i dont have a husband or kids so cannot relate to that, but im sure its stressful enough and reaching for that quick fix food is waaay more convenient than finding the slither of time to cook - feel free to add me as a friend, if you see anything in my food diary or on my profile, feel free to ask
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Habits are tough to break and one approach is to alter the routine. Getting home, cooking, studying, doing housework is a full plate (no pun intended) when you get home. If you do them in a specific order change the order up. Doing the studying earlier will help avoid the down time later which lends itself to snacking. If the evening snack is Hershey kisses get some raisins instead. Like what a previous responder said, not bringing the not-so-healthy stuff home in the first place will help. Another way to attempt to avoid the snack is a walk. Something simple like going to the mail box or just outside for a breath of fresh air. Granted, your name implies you're in Montana which would make for a frigid walk right now! But it is an idea. Another way is a big glass of water and again moving around some.
    It's a routine and comfortable to continue a behavior. Changing that up is tough but doable. I'm no expert but wanted to throw some ideas out. Best of luck and you can do it!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to remove the stress from being a Mom, being a student and working a job. The simplest thing really helped me. That was pre-logging my day of food. Every morning - with coffee in hand - I plan my day out. I know exactly how many calories I have left over for snacks, etc. Then you have to learn to stick with that plan. It's hard, but is possible.

Trying to rid your house of everything that you might eat - is also a little obsessive. The most important skill you can work on is learning moderation. I found that eating what I wanted, but within my calorie range was the best way to do this. I don't have the cravings anymore - or at least they are few and far between. Denying yourself everything that you love is a recipe for overeating.

*Make small changes in your diet over time. Weigh/measure/log everything you eat. Even the bites you take while cooking. Set a reasonable deficit for your calorie goal and be patient.

*Find something you love to do and do it. Walking is where some people start. Try lots of different things until you find your passion. Exercise also helps a lot with stress. Including the kids in the process is a win/win.

*Be patient. I'm saying this twice because it is what most people lack. Get up and do what you need to do everyday. Over time, you'll build new habits to improve your health. That's how you become successful.

Best of luck.