I'm at a lost with weight trainning...

Options
I'm a woman who wants to build a bit of muscle but nothing extreme and I also want to be a but more toned. I have always gone straight to the cardio machines because they are simple to use and I have great endurance. When it comes to weights you have to determine the weight you will be lifting, how many reps and sets. On top of that you have to know what type of weight exercise to do and determine how long you can break between sets to get the best desired results. How do people figure this out! Super complicated in my mind. Anyone willing to help me out with this? :)

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips has very easy instructions for getting started in weights. Shows the exercises, explains the reps/sets. I'd been in sports for a while, but hadn't really been taught weights well, this is the book you want to get. Many libraries might also have it, but might be better to get a copy for yourself. Do NOT get the one specifically for women, the general book is better.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Mental-Physical-Strength/dp/0060193395
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Get The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It answers every question you have and then some. I got it pretty cheap on Amazon :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    For a beginning program not much beats Stronglifts 5x5. It is very straightforward, and has nice clear progression in increasing the weight lifted.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great 6 month program to get you introduced to the world of strength training. I've also heard good things about Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Get The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It answers every question you have and then some. I got it pretty cheap on Amazon :)

^^ This! Great book, even if you don't follow the training plan. Lots of great information!
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanx guys!
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm stumbled upon 5/3/1 and a website that is helpful in creating a plan: http://www.strstd.com/ I went to the gym this morning and tried each move so I could find my starting weight and I input that into the computer and will try the "Big but boring" plan it created for me.

However, I am confused because the plan only has me working to the current weight I can already lift... not sure if I am just supposed to follow it and then in 4 weeks put in my new weight limit and go again? If anyone has done 5/3/1 and knows how you are supposed to actually move up in weight... that would be helpful.

Anyway, I am in the same boat as you... a newbie and wanting something to combine with the current cardio that I do. Maybe look into the 5/3/1.. seems like an easy plan to follow to get started. I may look more into stronglifts 5X5 after I see how this goes.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm stumbled upon 5/3/1 and a website that is helpful in creating a plan: http://www.strstd.com/ I went to the gym this morning and tried each move so I could find my starting weight and I input that into the computer and will try the "Big but boring" plan it created for me.

However, I am confused because the plan only has me working to the current weight I can already lift... not sure if I am just supposed to follow it and then in 4 weeks put in my new weight limit and go again? If anyone has done 5/3/1 and knows how you are supposed to actually move up in weight... that would be helpful.

Anyway, I am in the same boat as you... a newbie and wanting something to combine with the current cardio that I do. Maybe look into the 5/3/1.. seems like an easy plan to follow to get started. I may look more into stronglifts 5X5 after I see how this goes.

5/3/1 isn't really a beginners program. SL 5x5 is better for beginners as you start with the empty bar and can work on form. As a beginner you shouldn't be doing anything near a 1 rep max like 5/3/1 has you doing.

To answer your question, after the 1st 4 weeks you increase your upper body lifts by 5lbs and lower body lifts by 10lbs and start the cycle over.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman who wants to build a bit of muscle but nothing extreme and I also want to be a but more toned. I have always gone straight to the cardio machines because they are simple to use and I have great endurance. When it comes to weights you have to determine the weight you will be lifting, how many reps and sets. On top of that you have to know what type of weight exercise to do and determine how long you can break between sets to get the best desired results. How do people figure this out! Super complicated in my mind. Anyone willing to help me out with this? :)
    I have clients like this! So they let me figure it out for them. Might consider a trainer to help you along.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I downloaded it on the Kindle and have it on my iphone so I can reference it when I go to workout.... they have the workout plans all set for you.... and if you don't have access to cables or a barbell you can easily adapt the workouts to use the equipment you have. I started with 10# dumbells and I'm now up to 20# dumbells (increasing every 4 workouts or so).

(Edited to say): I've lost weight doing only 20min of weight lifting 3x/week... VERY LITTLE cardio. I introduced a 1 mile run on lifting days 1 week ago which puts my total workout to only 30min/3x weekly.

So far I've lost 3# and my clothes are fitting better. Good luck!
  • iwysbjs
    Options
    I highly recommending out this website first: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

They post a TON of information about weight training for women (including nutrition), plus they dispel a lot of myths regarding looking "bulky" vs. "toned" (which is pretty much a no-no word in the weight lifting community). They also have a great 12 week workout program that tells you which exercises to do on which days and how many reps to complete. In terms of the amount of weight, you basically just use whatever the heaviest you can lift for the number of reps you have to do. For example, say you have to do 8 reps. If you can't get to 8, you are using too heavy of a weight. But if you can do more than 8, it is too light. You won't build much muscle by using 3-lb. weights on endless reps!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For a beginning program not much beats Stronglifts 5x5. It is very straightforward, and has nice clear progression in increasing the weight lifted.
    This. Stronglifts is a fantastic beginning program, probably the best one out there overall.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. You start with just the bar and build 5lbs every time you go back to the gym. It's very simple and effective for beginners, which allows you to take your time and learn form as you build strength and become more comfortable with the lifts. Five sets of five reps (except deadlift). Look into it!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I was a weightlifting beginner a few months back before I started New Rules of Lifting for Women. I feel much more confident in my understanding of how to lift (both technique but also determining how much weight, how many reps, how many sets etc). It has worked well for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

5/3/1 isn't really a beginners program. SL 5x5 is better for beginners as you start with the empty bar and can work on form. As a beginner you shouldn't be doing anything near a 1 rep max like 5/3/1 has you doing.

To answer your question, after the 1st 4 weeks you increase your upper body lifts by 5lbs and lower body lifts by 10lbs and start the cycle over.
    Yep, exactly what I was going to say. Also, Wendler specifically says to take 10% off your maxes, and then use that number as your max to calculate the numbers from. Not sure if that site does that or not. You should never use a true "1RM" figure for 5/3/1 training.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Go to the section with the heading "5/3/1 by the Numbers" for a better explanation of what and how.
    But the part I think answers you is "After you finish the first cycle, you add five pounds to your 1RM calculations for the two upper-body lifts and 10 pounds to your 1RM for the squat and deadlift."
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^This!!!!!!
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I should look more into Stronglifts 5X5 for my beginner program.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Hope that helps OP as well.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have my first weight training session tomorrow and am aiming to do SL 5x5. Let's see what the instructor has in mind :)