How to calculate calories in a t-bone steak

Options
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way to figure out the calories in a T-bone steak per ounce? I've looked through all of the search results on here and have even checked google, but I keep coming up with drastically different numbers.

Also I'm wondering if these results are taking into account the weight of the meat AND bone when calculating.

It would really help if I had a kitchen scale to weigh the entire steak before eating, and weight the bone after and deduce the weight from the initial amount (I know, I'm slacking on that!) but even then, I still can't seem to find the calorie amount anywhere. Everything I find for an 8oz t-bone steak comes up with the difference of 100+ calories give or take.

I usually log my dinner before I eat lunch so that I know how much "wiggle room" I have where I can stay within my calorie range, so the difference in the results I'm finding is drastic.

I normally just log the higher amount when I have trouble finding the caloric value of something, so that I don't accidentally over-eat, but I figured it was worth a shot reaching out to the community here to see if anyone else has run into this problem and come up with an answer. Any input will help, thank you!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yeah, t-bone is bone in, otherwise it would be a strip steak. Possibly try strip steak or new york strip steak. If the smaller end has a lot of meat that is the tenderloin and you could also look at that individually. Of course you would need to take the meat off the bone for weight, but that sorta defeats the purpose of a t-bone.....it tastes better when cooked on the bone. Weight the bone later and make an educated guess.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I weigh my steak after cooking and before I eat it, then weigh the bone/scraps I don't eat and subtract that to get the actual weight.
    There are plenty of entries for T-bone steak grilled or broiled. I try to use one that is USDA related, not someone's personal recipe that has seasonings on it, etc.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For things like this I often assume the higher number (or at least I add 1 standard deviation to the mean of the given weights). The calories may be different because different steaks will have different fat to lean ratios. Take a peek at your steak -- lots of yummy marbling?! You're probably looking at a higher calorie cut of meat.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    When logging it in MFP, break it up into the "strip' and 'filet' pieces since they have different meat/fat content.

Cut them off the bone after cooking and weigh them separately on the scale. Usually I've found that the bone itself is about a 1/2 lb, So a 1.5 lb porterhouse will yield about 1 lb of meat. But will vary depending on the size of the cut you are eating.

Also, you can't find T-bone because the term for the cut of meat is 'porterhouse.'

There are a lot of entries in MFP for steak trimmed to various degrees of fat (basically, how thick the 'ring' of fat on the outside of the steak is or how marbled it is. Also, as mentioned before a porterhouse is really a strip steak and filet mignon still attached to the bone, so you can google those separately and combine the two.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weigh my steak after cooking and before I eat it, then weigh the bone/scraps I don't eat and subtract that to get the actual weight.
    There are plenty of entries for T-bone steak grilled or broiled. I try to use one that is USDA related, not someone's personal recipe that has seasonings on it, etc.

^^^DO THIS TO BE ACCURATE^^^
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    First you need to find the density of the bone using a specific gravity test. Set up your beaker, water, scale, and string to dangle the...

Oh, just kidding. Weight the steak and log it as it is with maybe a small subtraction for the bones weight. Or, toss the bone on the scale after you're done eating and use the weight of that bone as a standard for every t-bone you eat.
  • AngieCarcel
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!! :)