PROTIEN SHAKE hurt me in losing weight?!

Options
okay so my set calories a day is 1600 i worked out for an hour strength training and then cardio recovery for insanity i know im not supposed to eat less than 1600 to lose weight plus i got 500 exercise calories well i am only at like 1100 for the day if i added a protein shake would that slow down weight loss?? it brings me up to like 1500 something and then im full you can look at my diary i ate alot today? any know if protein shake will slow down loss

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    you have to remember that those are processed (pre digested so to speak). the body does not have to digest them, so they can actually cause weight gain if you are not careful.

You are really better just getting the protein you need from regular foods, which will provide all you really need.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    yah but if i dont eat enough ill gain weight also but im not hungry and i need something to supplement calories that im not eating
  • stanbucks
    Options
    I would say the protein drink will not slow down your weight loss. I frequently drink a protein drink after strength training, and it has not slowed me down at all. If anything, it helps. Just focus on keeping the correct calories for most days and it will work. I even take one day a week (for me Sunday) and I eat pretty much what I want to. That way I never feel deprived. Above all have fun. You are changing your life for the better.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public, plz..

Meanwhile, look for calorie-dense foods that are still healthy. Some recommended ones are peanut or almond butter, avocado, olive oil, etc. Add a few handfuls of almonds a day to your snacks, saute your veggies in olive oil, snack on a banana with peanut butter, add avocado to a salad. All these should add the few extra hundred calories you need, plus give you a protein boost and good fats, all things you need if you're exercising a lot. Good luck!
  • adrianhelen
    adrianhelen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think the big deal is to get your 1600 per day throught eating healthy and I am sure you know what that is. The rule of thumb is to only eat your exercise calories if you need to. Only if you are hungry. Then you should make sure it is something that is high protein. I agree that the best route to get the protein is through a natural source but if you are unable to do that the next best source is through a good protein shake. But make sure it is a lean protein if you are trying to lose weight not bulking up. Make sure it is not a weight gaining powder. Also whey protein is the best if you are able to tolerate it. Another thing to be careful of is that you are not underestimating your caloric intake and not overestimating your exercise calories. With all of this considered, I would not think it would hurt your weight loss, just keep in mind it could slow it down. Just watch yourself and adjust as you need to.
  • rckola911
    rckola911 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    protein is good in food however it takes a while to digest. You need the protein drink right after your workout to fill stores back up rapidly. so no it wont cause weight gain unless you drink alot of them
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It depends on which one. There are high calorie shakes that could hinder your weight loss.

I use the Syntax Matrix 5.0 Protein. It is low calories / carbs with 29g of protein in each scoop. I usually do 1 scoop in 8 oz of milk.

http://www26.netrition.com/syntrax_matrix_page.html#NUTFACTS
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You should have a whey protein shake after intense exercise. This sort of protein is quickly digested whereas whole foods take a lot longer, this is the reason for having a post workout shake. Also, you don't grow muscles from just protein, you required carbs as well which should be high GI carbs (about the only time that I would recommend high GI carbs) as these are absorbed quickly also. Also, various amino acids etc but I won't go into that.

You will find that your recovery will be a lot better if you do this.

If I am trying to save cals, I will have a 50/50 mix of skim milk and water also.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    protein is good in food however it takes a while to digest. You need the protein drink right after your workout to fill stores back up rapidly. so no it wont cause weight gain unless you drink alot of them

Agreed. The protein shake will not make you gain weight. And directly after your workout you should drink a shake for maximum absorption. You need to keep your muscle building protein up and your calories up for the Insanity program.

ANYBODY THAT TELLS YOU NOT TO TAKE PROTEIN DURING INSANITY DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
  • mccorml
    Options
    okay well i do that and strength training everyday but i was wondering i never reach my calorie goal for the day not even the one pre workout calories my original set without workout calories is 1600 and i rarely ever hit that like i added a protein shake to get closer to it so i dont go starvation mode
  • edorice
    Options
    okay well i do that and strength training everyday but i was wondering i never reach my calorie goal for the day not even the one pre workout calories my original set without workout calories is 1600 and i rarely ever hit that like i added a protein shake to get closer to it so i dont go starvation mode

Huh? OK, please use some periods and commas. It's hard to understand what you're saying. So, do you already use a protein shake? Is it a RTD? How many calories do you get from it?
  • mccorml
    Options
    I take cytogainer, its like 800 calories for four scoops but i only use two. I also has a ton of protein.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You can easily add calories without adding quantity. Use normal fat foods (not low fat), use olive oil, a handful of almonds, some peanut butter, drink a glass of milk, some greek yogurt....it's not hard. Supplementing with a protein shake won't hurt as long as you are eating adequately with real food and are logging the shake (lotsa calories there).

I checked your diary, eat some real food dude! Shrimp, beef, chicken, a salad or three, some oatmeal, EGGS, egg whites, some greek yogurt, and fill up on the veggies!! Lots and lots of them (celery sticks don't count for much)!!

You don't look like you need to lose much, so don't deprive yourself. You won't starve to death eating what you're eating, but you're not eating nutritious food and the variety is lacking. How long do you really think you can do that?
  • seamaj01
    Options
    syntrax is a good one.. so in unjury. I use the nectar after VSG, and now I like the Premier Protein from Costco.. I also use Boost glucose control in a pinch. It only has 16 grams of protein, and MY protein needs are 60-80 gms a day from my Dr. Protein shakes will not make you gain weight. I have lost 33 lbs to date, just drinking the protein and some food. Right now I am a month and a half post surgery.. and I am still limited in what I can eat.. foodwise.
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Looking at your log... IMO you should have a big breakfast. 100-150 calories is not enough. I usually have between 500-600 calories by breakfast time. It seems like you are eating alot of calories at dinner - that is too late in the day to burn those extra carbs. Just think of 4-5 meals a day at 300-400 calories per meal.

The 800 calories from the protien shake is way too much...
  • edorice
    Options
    I agree. I just looked at your food diary. Just having yogurt for breakfast is not gonna cut it. Look at it this way: Eat like a king for breakfast, eat like a prince for lunch, and eat like a pauper for dinner. I eat most of my calories before five PM. I do P90X and Insanity in the morning. So most mornings I drink my shake after my workout. Within 30 minutes after a workout you should fuel your body to the best of your ability.

Also, you food diary seems to be a bit here and there. Like every day you're kind of eating whatever. Each day should be planned, so that you can have less pitfalls. Ease up on the peanut butter, too much sugar in some cases. I recommend more fish and chicken. No fried food. Eat clean and also celery ain't going to power you through Insanity.
  • mccorml
    Options
    i used to eat no breakfast i have tons of energy and im losing weight im just gonna keep doing what i do
  • edorice
    Options
    Do you, then.