Going out to eat

Options
Tonight will be the first time I am going out to eat since starting myfitness pal. Any tips on what I should do and look for? Any idea how I should go about counting calories tonight? I am really worried about it!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain restaurant then they should have their nutritional information on their website. If it's local restaurant just go with the closest thing you can find.

Your weight loss, health, nutrition, fitness, etc is not predicated on eating out once in awhile or overindulging once in awhile, etc...wrap you head around the bigger picture and get out of the minutia...minutia will drown you.

Also, just eat half of whatever is on your plate...when I'm really trying to watch it, that's what I do...but really I so rarely eat out that I just go for it most of the time...like I said before...it's not about what I'm doing on occasion...it's about what I'm doing most of the time.

Just go enjoy yourself.
  • megachoy
    megachoy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will try eating half on my plate-I did not even think of that!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can ask for a to-go box as soon as your food arrives. Your server may look at you a little funny, but some people prefer to pack half their food up to take home before they start eating, so it's easier to know when to stop.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with stuff like breadsticks- so I just don't eat them.

I drink LOTS of water.

and then I make sure I order something I really like- that isn't covered in crap- i typically stick with steak anyway- so it's easy- steak and replace my starchy side with more veggies- so double veggies and meat- easy peasey lemon sqeezy.

As far as logging- If it's not a chain- just find the closest thing that resembles it and eye ball it.

Averages are more important than the details.
  • megachoy
    megachoy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas!!!