What happens if I continually eat under my recommended calor

Options
So I will never figure out the calorie in calorie out thing! What I want to know is what can happen to weight loss and/or my health if I continue to eat under my recommended calories? It's not like I'm TRYING to continually do this...I'm not a great cook at all, but I am trying to eat healtheir by eating as clean as my budget allows...making meals from scratch rather than buying prepared, processed, etc and eliminating those calorie/fatty laden sauces and condiments. So what happens is that I am continually around 200-400 under my calories, especially lately as I've been burning at least 200 cal a day with exercise.
Here's my stats...171 lbs (11 lb weight loss), 5'0, 31 y.o, female...so yes I'm in the obese category because I'm so short! I've been overweight since the 8th grade. I work a desk job.

I've read about starvation mode and would like to keep myself from hitting it, even though I'm not eating more because I'm just not as hungy as I used to be. I'm trying to add some calories by adding good fats like almonds, avacados, olive oil, and going back up to 2% milk, but because I don't eat many carbs, I just can't hit near that calorie intake most days of the week. ERRRR!
What do I do? :sad:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is, you have to find what number best works for you. A simple way is start off with the BMR of the weight you want to be then subtract 200 calories. You use that number as it would be the life style you will want to live. Over time, you will balance out there.
  • mhoward1982
    mhoward1982 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some real advice, I'm trying to figure this out myself. I just started a 2 month "challenge" at a local Zumba center. They offer Zumba and kickboxing, and I've tried both. This burns an average of 600-800 calories. I eat three full meals a day, plus snacks. Around 1200 cals. But today for instance, I did kickboxing. I'd already had breakfast, lunch, and a snack, and I had a calorie deficit of around 1300 after the workout!! No way did I even WANT to eat that much more. I'll be really interested to hear what people have to say on this. Good luck!!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1200 calories per day. Eating your exercise calories is a personal choice. I find it easier to fit it all in if I break it into 5-6 meals of 200-300 calories each.