Just feel like giving up right now

Options
Hi all,
I'm feeling really frustrated right now. There've been some lifestyle changes for me recently, and I'm so exhausted that my workouts have been cut by about a third and I'm having a lot of trouble focusing when I grocery shop and when I plan meals. I was really jazzed up and excited about this, and felt like using this site was finally going to be the weight loss method that works. Right this minute, though, I just want to throw in the towel, say "screw it" and just be fat. I'm looking at my diary, and I'm 800 cals over for the day. I haven't done a workout yet today, so that number will go down, but still. To make it worse, today's the first day in the four weeks or so that I've been her that I don't feel like I'm starving....which is a real good argument for quitting right now, because I'm tired of being hungry.

So, I'm trying to talk myself out of this crazy tree I seem to have climbed. I'm wondering...I am definitely overweight, fatness-wise. BUT, my husband is a big fan of Mike Mentzer and his Heavy Duty weight lifting program, so I've done that program off and on over the years. Even when I'm not in shape, I'm still a lot more muscular than most females, especially most short, light boned females. Is it possible that my calories were set too low to account for my musculature? Possibly putting myself into starvation mode, and leading to me being constantly hungry, and unable to build any more muscle because I'm actually not eating enough? The last two weeks my weight training has been really off...I've felt as though I were too tired to move the metal, and I haven't progressed at all. Any ideas?

Sorry this is so long, it's been building up for a couple of days.:cry:

Replies

• mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm feeling really frustrated right now. There've been some lifestyle changes for me recently, and I'm so exhausted that my workouts have been cut by about a third and I'm having a lot of trouble focusing when I grocery shop and when I plan meals. I was really jazzed up and excited about this, and felt like using this site was finally going to be the weight loss method that works. Right this minute, though, I just want to throw in the towel, say "screw it" and just be fat. I'm looking at my diary, and I'm 800 cals over for the day. I haven't done a workout yet today, so that number will go down, but still. To make it worse, today's the first day in the four weeks or so that I've been her that I don't feel like I'm starving....which is a real good argument for quitting right now, because I'm tired of being hungry.

So, I'm trying to talk myself out of this crazy tree I seem to have climbed. I'm wondering...I am definitely overweight, fatness-wise. BUT, my husband is a big fan of Mike Mentzer and his Heavy Duty weight lifting program, so I've done that program off and on over the years. Even when I'm not in shape, I'm still a lot more muscular than most females, especially most short, light boned females. Is it possible that my calories were set too low to account for my musculature? Possibly putting myself into starvation mode, and leading to me being constantly hungry, and unable to build any more muscle because I'm actually not eating enough? The last two weeks my weight training has been really off...I've felt as though I were too tired to move the metal, and I haven't progressed at all. Any ideas?

Sorry this is so long, it's been building up for a couple of days.:cry:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Trying to up your calories and eat really whole, good foods for a couple of weeks sure beats throwing in the towel!!! Give that a try because if you're muscular you may well need more calories (especially if you're hungry all the time!!) Try going up by 300 or 400 calories for 2 weeks and see what happens!! :flowerforyou:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    It's awesome that you are still committed to your workout even though your calorie numbers are "over" for the day.

I agree with the other suggestions.

I know, for me, these things have helped:

1. PLANNING my meals the day before. I enter all the foods I am going to eat and figure out whether or not I will hit my numbers. SOmetimes I've had to substitute protein (nuts) for carbs or I've had to eliminate something b/c I discover it is calorically loaded.

2. Eating my exercise calories

3. Trying to stay with "whole" foods which allow for a lot of food during the day

4. Preventing hunger with protein like nuts or deli meat or yogurt

5. EAting several small meals throughout the day so that my blood sugar is not doing that peak/valley thing of a huge meal followed by a big blood sugar plunge that just makes me want to eat more

Hang in there. This is a day by day process.

As at least one MFPer says every day on this site: "you didn't gain the weight overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight either . . ."

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    one thing that i have to do is set my program for losing 1lb/wk. If I set it to lose 2lbs/wk it takes me down to 1200calories/day. and since i know that my BMR is around 1800, (i have had a professional metabolic test, and i'm 6'0" and 165), I know that would be totally wrong for me. (this is why i think its funny when everyone talks about "starvation mode" because although it is true, this program does tell me to go down to only 1200 if i wanted to lose 2lbs/wk no that would really be a starvation diet!) that would never ever work for me. I eat that much by noon :)

make sure you do take into account your muscular-ness :) those muscles need fuel baby! So my suggestion is to try setting your account to only 1lb/wk. either that or go get an actual metabolic test done so that you know EXACTLY what your body needs, because even though it can be estimated by height,weight, and activity, everyone is very different!!!!

good luck and dont get frustrated! its a life journey!
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! Come down out of the tree!! :happy:

You have friends here who can be the moral support you need when you run into times like these. We all have a common goal here - to feel better about ourselves,,,physically and emotionally. You are going to hit rough spots like this one but there is no need to throw in the towel. Like Pedal said, change your routine up for a bit. I would also recommend uping your calorie intake a bit because of the bodybuilding. Your body is craving the additional calories from all those excellent workout sessions you are having!! :wink:

Hang in there...your friends will be here when you need us!! :flowerforyou:
  • cbell
    cbell Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't give up! We are rooting for you!!
    Some days I say to myself - you know what? this isn't going to be one of my better days. oh well. And then I decide I'm going to give myself a break.

Don't beat up on yourself.

I don't have kids, but it helps me when I imagine this: would you ever tell your kid: you ate too many calories today - why don't you just forget about it and just be fat!
    You'd never say it!
    We are so harsh with ourselves. Treat yourself as well as you would treat someone you love and care for. It is a nice goal to try and love and care for ourselves in this same way.

Be nice to yourself. Sometimes being nice to yourself just means giving yourself a break. Remember: just because you are going through a rough patch - that doesn't mean you have to give it all up and throw in the towel. All it means is...you are going through a rough patch! Hang in there - this is just one moment of many. :smile:
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    wow, people are actually reading this. I was afraid they'd see the length of it and back away slowly.:laugh:

Thanks for talking back. I've reset my goal to 1 lb a week, we'll give the higher net cals a try for a month and see.

I think I'll also try filling in my diary first thing in the morning, before I actually eat anything, so I can see what I'm up against, and alter my menu for the day if need be.

I am not cutting out my red wine...that is not negotiable.:drinker:

Now, I just need the stressors in my life to settle down a bit...maybe with some actual sleep and relaxation, I can have the energy to do what I need to do.
  • Bonvivebooks
    Options
    :heart: Don't give up. You're trying too hard right out from the gate. If a racing horse did that, he'd be foaming and half dead after only 1/2 lap around. Baby steps. So today you screwed up. So what?!? It doesn't mean YOU ARE A SCREWUP. It just means that today you weren't on your game. TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY AND ANOTHER CHANCE TO DO BETTER. Frig it. Forget today. No big deal, because tomorrow WILL be better because you're going to make it that way. :flowerforyou:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    wow, people are actually reading this. I was afraid they'd see the length of it and back away slowly.:laugh:

Thanks for talking back. I've reset my goal to 1 lb a week, we'll give the higher net cals a try for a month and see.

I think I'll also try filling in my diary first thing in the morning, before I actually eat anything, so I can see what I'm up against, and alter my menu for the day if need be.

I am not cutting out my red wine...that is not negotiable.:drinker:

Now, I just need the stressors in my life to settle down a bit...maybe with some actual sleep and relaxation, I can have the energy to do what I need to do.

I have read on past threads that stress is a factor in not losing weight. I started to excercise to beat my stress and hopefully lose weight in the mean time.
  • Bonvivebooks
    Options
    Keep the red wine.:drinker: You know, they say red wine is good for your heart!

Of course, when you start thinking, "Wine - fermented grapes good for me. Beer - just fermented bread and water! Must be a good thing too!"Then there's a problem! :laugh: jk
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Get yourself down from the tree!!! Tormorrow is a new day, set your goals small, even if it is just one meal, hour or snack at a time. Eventually you will remember your tree and be so glad that you became grounded. Best of luck!!!
    P.S. I wrote that just as much for me as I did you. I have the same tree.
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    Always post is you feel like you need help.....I did tonight too. I have been on a 2 week eating-fest. Lets both get on track and stay positive together!

(I agree with you on the wine issue too...some things are just sooo needed!)

I have also learned on this site, if you go over a day or two here and there...you will be fine. It's more mental..just don't let it get you down. (I wonder if I am listening to myself?)

Keep smiling!!

:drinker:

Ali
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I prefer white zin myself!! :drinker:
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up. I would up the calories, its not right to be starving, but make sure the things you are eating are the right foods. Whole grains, ect. fresh fruits and veggies. you can do this though, don't give up.