menstrual pain & exercise

Options
You hear all the time that moderate exercise during menstruation can alleviate pain or other menstrual issues, but how much is 'moderate'? I have heavy bleeding, cramping, light-headedness - is it still ok then, or should one wait a few days?

Replies

• Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Usually when I experience heavy bleeding I dont exercise
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say wait, more because of the light-headedness than anything else.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you are dizzy and light headed I would get checked for anemia. I had that problem and when the docs started me on iron pills it made a huge difference with that part of things.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Good lord, I read 'internal bleeding' .. and I was wondering why you were asking! haha

TOM is horrible for me (having surgery to fix it, yay!) so I end up anemic each month. I push as much as I can, but sometimes, I'm just so dizzy, light headed and have no energy that I just can't do it.

Yes, exercise can help with pain, but it can also increase flow.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Really depends how you feel. I find that running can help so I start at a slow pace, close to home. If after 10-15 mins I'm still not feeling good, I'll head back. If it's better, I'll try pacing up.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Due to the extent of issues I am having, I am physically unable to exercise during that time. (having a consult on tuesday for a hysterectomy)

Before it got this bad, I found walking at a brisk pace or even dancing helped. Sometimes lifting made me cramp or flow harder.
    I stuck to mainly cardio.. you could even jump rope...

If you are experiencing lightheadedness - I wouldn't risk injury. If you feel like you must do something, walk.

Sorry I don't have much more to offer.. Just some tidbit from personal experience.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel up to it then I give myself a break. If I know I'm being a wuss (which I'm prone to doing) then I force myself to suck it up and do it. I have this weird type of motivation that whenever I get in the mindset where I can think of a million excuses not to go exercise, it means I have to go (and then I do...).

I have found that after exercising I generally feel better than if I just curled up in a ball at home with chocolate. Just make sure you're adequately prepared for the increase in flow you might expect!
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    thank you for your reponses. I know it's basically common sense that if you think you're gonna pass out you shouldn't be doing it :P I'm having frequent & heavy periods so this is really cramping my style and it's hard to get into a real rhythm of regular exercise with the interruption of these frustrating TOMs (every 2.5 weeks for almost a week at a time)! I have been on iron for a few months since my blood count was low, but a recent test shows I'm OK now. I'm still very tired all the time so I'm going to investigate further what I can do about this.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I usually pop a Tylenol a little before my workout which helps.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    There are occasions when I'm sure I'm bleeding to death or my uterus just fell out. I skip it on those days. Listen to your body and let it be your guide. If you feel dizzy you probably shouldn't be working out hard. A light walk might be helpful but doing Insanity would be insane. I don't lift on days like that either. Squatting under a heavy barbell when I'm dizzy just doesn't seem like a good idea!

ETA: Maca powder has been really helpful for me in the hormone dept. and weightlifting has done some magical things for my monthly cycle. I think it's because both of those things help regulate hormones. I put maca powder in my smoothies once or twice a week.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    When I get pain, I eat a bit of yogurt and the pain goes away. Don't ask me why...cannot provide a scientific explanation, I accidentally found this out one day, ate yogurt, pain went away like 10 minutes later...tested the hypothesis again and again, with and without eating yogurt, and result repeated itself. Plain yogurt, Greek, full fat. Bizarre.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Only on light days. I have been taking metformin for ovulation purposes, and it's made my current TOM horrid. I'd have to wear a freaking diaper if I worked out right now. I can barely stand up!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Taking continuous ocps stops the period. One option.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You hear all the time that moderate exercise during menstruation can alleviate pain or other menstrual issues, but how much is 'moderate'? I have heavy bleeding, cramping, light-headedness - is it still ok then, or should one wait a few days?

I exercise high cardio day 1 of my period because its at its heaviest, usually 40-60min...This helps bloating go down, and results in my period only lasting 2-3 days lightly instead of 5-7 days heavily
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising when I had bad period pain once it got really worse. The pain was unbearable and I had to stop midway. So I would recommend to wait or you can do yoga in the mean time.
  • beltinches
    beltinches Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi!

In the past I would have such severe pain I would have need strong anti-inflammatries that I would have also needed for my migraines. However I started walking most days and when it came to the start of my menstraul cycle,for the first tie EVER I didn't have any pain at all. So strange.

I wouldn't reccomend any strenuous exercise when your feeling sick or light-headed. That's a disaster waitinf to happen. But if you get a moment of relief, than even a light ten minute walk may help you feel better.
    Yoga could also also be a good option and the focus may distract you and help with the pain but if you ever feel light-headed I'd say stop straight away.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    try yoga on these days or swmming or just a brisk walk. You could also do some light weight trainging as well. It seems to have made my monthly cramps reduced. Drink lots of water during this time as well. Stay away from dairy and beans. it does no good for you cramping. I definitely find that exercising helps reduce my cramps. So even if I don't feel like it, I make my self do some type of activity that is low impact but gets me sweating.
  • ktob
    ktob Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you tried evening primrose oil? I started taking a mega high dose and it really made a difference. I'm not sure it works for everyone but worth a try. It made me more regular (was all over the place before) and also helped with those mood swings :o

I also find the spatone high quality iron suppliment really good. I take it in the run up to and during my period as I'm vegetarian and my iron levels regularly drop too low.

Personally I think it's good to keep exercising but I guess it's always best to listen to your body. More gentle yoga or walking/jogging might be better than full on workout.

Hope you get things sorted.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    OK...clearly some of you don't know what I mean by 'heavy bleeding' - except the one who mentioned a 'diaper' - she knows what I'm talking about ;)
    but thanks for the added comments about things to try :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I used to have similar issues. The good thing was that my cycles tended to me about six weeks apart, but when it came it was horrible. I used to get so pissed off everytime I heard how exercise would help the cramping. Not for me - I'd end up curled up on the ground in pain, or worse sometimes puking or light-headed. Finally tried mirena back in June - what a huge difference! I actually feel like a normal person.
    Yes I've heard all the negative stories about mirena. But it was the best thing for me. My suggestion - find a good doctor who will actually take the time to listen to what you are going through and offer some viable solutions.